AVS Forum banner

41 - 60 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
I asked a korean dealer who told me that it does support 3D from any BD-player.

I wanted to wait a few days or weeks until the IFA is over. I hope the LG or any competitor (except Acer) is going to release a comparable projector (DLP, LED, 1000 lumens, Full HD, 3D) soon.
it wouldnt be the first time, getting wrong information from dealers. and at least with his first pair of glasses pittyh wasnt able to get 3d working.

·
Registered
47 Posts
it wouldnt be the first time, getting wrong information from dealers.
But when looking at PittyH's pictures, you also can see that enabeling 3D is possible and that you'll have the choice between several input formats.
I had an ACER K335 for about 80 days and I'm happy that my dealer had a heart to take it back after that time alway having constant battles with the Acer support. 3D looked great, but I've spent several weeks and a lot of money for PC-equipment to get it work and ended up in still having some problems with a "dynamic black"-function, that can't be disabled in 3D-mode, and a projector that has it's problems with cables longer than 5m, even if it was very expensive.
So anyting that would roughly work by plug and play will satisfy me.

·
Registered
47 Posts
@PittyH

could you please let me know, whether
  • you got 3D working,
  • Magic Remote accepts other languages than korean,
  • you got some other settings adjusted to English
  • you can recommend English speaking people or even others to buy this projector.
Many thanks in advance

·
Registered
47 Posts
Update???

Please, could anyone who's owning this device give us some update about focus, 3D and so on.

Many thanks in advance.
Best regards: Thomas

·
Registered
14 Posts
Please, could anyone who's owning this device give us some update about focus, 3D and so on.

Many thanks in advance.
Best regards: Thomas
yes...+1 who's interested....(also if possible about ceiling mounting)

..afaik south-korea has same power-plug and voltage as germany...so this shouldn't be an issue...

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Sorry for the late reply.

I set this up in the living room for my dad, so i haven't really touched it much (i'm on my computer in my room) but he is using it every day, and it is still going strong (he is always using netflix :) )

Yes i got my glasses and yes they worked for Avatar (the little white floating pollen in avatar looked like they were in the middle of the room) but overall i think 3D is a gimmick to be honest only to be used once in a blue moon.

I bought an English magic remote from eBay. it never worked cause it was the wrong model.. Dad is using the korean magic remote just fine.

The LG projector is in English just some of the features are missing like Netflix, but once you plug in an external box with Netflix like a WDLIVETV or the other one, you get all the functionality back.

I haven't tested the clarity with that special picture yet, i will try to soon.

I still recommend this unit, i'm very happy with it, it was a great purchase.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I got mine yesterday.

I love this item so far. 3D works great. The focus uniformity could be better, but is much better than it was on the Acer K335 and LG PA1000.

I'll report more detailed as soon as I took some pictures.

Best regards
Thomas

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
Awesome! Any chance you live anywhere near Northern, VA? I would love to see one of these in person. Ah well. Still, it makes no sense that this model isn't in the USA yet.

·
Premium Member
4,264 Posts
Awesome! Any chance you live anywhere near Northern, VA? I would love to see one of these in person. Ah well. Still, it makes no sense that this model isn't in the USA yet.
What again is the difference between this and the PF85 which is available in the US?

·
Registered
1 Posts
That might be difficult since I live in Germany ;)
Hi erdi01,

would you please give some information about your purchase from Germany. I am in Germany and seriously thinking about oredering this projector over the known actuionhouse.
- How long did it take ?
- Tax procedure ? How many procent did you have to pay on top?
- were there any other additional costs involved?

I would be quite happy if you would enlighten these questions

Bests regards, viele Grüße
Akin

·
Registered
47 Posts
- How long did it take ?
- Tax procedure ? How many procent did you have to pay on top?
- were there any other additional costs involved?
Hi Akin,

I didn't buy via ebay, but the seller I bought from now is selling there too. I paid 1355 USD (including shipping). It took 4 workdays via EMS to arrive at the German customs. Since the seller didn't attach a sufficient customs declaration I got a message from the customs office to collect it from there (after additional 2 workdays).
I had to pay 14 % customs duty and on that sum I haid to pay 19 % tax. BUT I'm pretty sure, that the customs officer classified the item to the wrong product group (customs tariff number 85286999) and I officially appealed it by justifying that it should be classified to the customs tariff number 85286910, which is free of duty. So normally you should add 19 % tax to the price you pay, but I won't guarantee for this until I got the reply from the main customs office.

Even when classified into customs tariff number 85286999, which I might not understand, there is a reduced duty rate of 4,6% for the origin Korea, if the seller could proof that is manufactured in Korea by a sufficient rate.

Best regards
Thomas

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi Akin,

I didn't buy via ebay, but the seller I bought from now is selling there too. I paid 1355 USD (including shipping). It took 4 workdays via EMS to arrive at the German customs. Since the seller didn't attach a sufficient customs declaration I got a message from the customs office to collect it from there (after additional 2 workdays).
I had to pay 14 % customs duty and on that sum I haid to pay 19 % tax. BUT I'm pretty sure, that the customs officer classified the item to the wrong product group (customs tariff number 85286999) and I officially appealed it by justifying that it should be classified to the customs tariff number 85286910, which is free of duty. So normally you should add 19 % tax to the price you pay, but I won't guarantee for this until I got the reply from the main customs office.

Even when classified into customs tariff number 85286999, which I might not understand, there is a reduced duty rate of 4,6% for the origin Korea, if the seller could proof that is manufactured in Korea by a sufficient rate.

Best regards
Thomas
Hi Thomas,

yea.....german custom officer usually don't really know what they're doing.... good luck fighting to get your money back...
from my experience it's troublesome but its working (i had lots of experiences with this when i was ordering blu ray's from the US)

maybe it'll be helpfull for you to get from the seller the "declaration of origin" then the product should be withing the EU-SKorea free treaty agreement
( http://www.zoll.de/DE/Fachthemen/Warenursprung-Praeferenzen/WuP_Meldungen/2011/wup_warenverkehr_korea.html )

keep on fighting..

BR

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hi everybody,

Focus:
As promised, here the picture with the test pattern. You will see, that the focus isn't as uniform as expected. I'll see whether I could take a better picture without any JPEG-compression.
http://www.sternwarte-reichenbach.de/temp/Testbild_LGPF87K_004.JPG
Picture mode is "standard" in highest eco mode, the image is approx. 192 cm x 108 cm and the projector has been runnning approx. 1 hour before I took the picture. Nevertheless, focus is much better than the Acer K335 and the LG PA1000 were displaying to me.

3D works easily. The projector instantly recognizes the 3D content, feeded by a Blu-Ray Player Sony BDP-S5200 over a Ligawo 2x2 HDMI Splitter and 15 m cable. The glasses are Excelvan (ASIN: B00CXO3YMC). The cath in it is, that quick motions in the "front", so not the entire picture appear a bit jerky, even if "true motion" feature is turned off or feeding from USB and playing a sbs-mkv. So I dont't know where this comes from.

The fan noise in max. eco mode is louder than the LG PA1000 was, and a bit quieter than the Acer K335.

Brightness: max. eco mode is really sufficient for watching movies.

I really love the extensive picture settings even in 3D mode and the file browser. I wasn't able to initialize other LG Premium apps besides the installed (Youtube, Facebook, picasa, VTuner), but wireless features are great.

So my short conclusion: the item is worth its money, even if the focus could be much better.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Digital Zoom sucks. All that you can do with digital zoom is make the image smaller and lose pixels in the process. So you don't have 1080p anymore.

Has anyone tried 120Hz resolutions on the LG PF87K?

41 - 60 of 78 Posts