AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope this post will be useful for those considering the Panny U2 model, which some have criticized for being "neither here nor there" between the C2 and the S2.

I picked up a Panny TC-P50U2 on a closeout deal for $720 CAD at "The Bay" in Burnaby, BC, Canada. I was a bit apprehensive about the "only" 900 lines of moving picture resolution, but after reading up about it in Panny's website, I figured this is a NON-issue!

First and foremost, the U2 has a full 1080p panel (1920x1080 pixels). For all practical purposes, this is a full HD TV! (For more on moving picture resolution, see https://panasonic.ca/english/audiovi...sma/viera2.asp ). Essentially, this 600 Hz Panny is far better than a typical 1080p 60Hz (or 120Hz) LED/LCD TV, which can at best deliver 350 (or 600) lines of moving picture resolution. Review the graph in the above link.

Second, after breaking in the TV for 200 hours or so, I applied D-Nice's service menu reference offsets for the TC-PxxS2 and these work fantastic with my U2. The skin tones and colors look completely natural and take this TV to a whole new level.

Compared with my Panny C2, the U2 can be viewed from under 4' and I don't notice the pixel structure. With the C2 you I notice the pixel structure from 6'. From about 8' away, the C2's picture seems slightly softer. The colors on the U2 and C2 are pretty much the same, but the U2 renders subtle nuances more naturally. From about 10' - 12' away, it is really hard to tell the difference in PQ between the two.

Overall I am extremely pleased with my U2, especially with the incredible deal I got.

·
Registered
215 Posts
A friend of mine just bought a used 2 month old TCP50U2. The previous user evidently did not have it calibrated nor did he setup the picture correctly in the menus. contrast was at 100 and brightness and sharpness both set at 80%. He had it installed on a wall perpendicular to his large front window which had bright sunlight hitting it from the side and was probably blowing out the screen to compensate for the large amount of sunlight in the room. My friend has a similar setup but he has dark opaque blinds and he keeps them close most of the time so direct sunlight will not be an issue. I set the picture settings like in dnice's post that you linked and the picture is notably better. I also just gray scale calibrated my TCP50G15 with excellent results and I want to do a this calibration on his as well. I was able to access the service menu but unlike in my g15's service menu there are no description on how to navigate through the different menus. Would they be the same as G15 which used the number pad to navigate. I do not want to screw up while navigating.

·
Registered
8,701 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by machani /forum/post/20171010

I hope this post will be useful for those considering the Panny U2 model, which some have criticized for being "neither here nor there" between the C2 and the S2.

I picked up a Panny TC-P50U2 on a closeout deal for $720 CAD at "The Bay" in Burnaby, BC, Canada. I was a bit apprehensive about the "only" 900 lines of moving picture resolution, but after reading up about it in Panny's website, I figured this is a NON-issue!

First and foremost, the U2 has a full 1080p panel (1920x1080 pixels). For all practical purposes, this is a full HD TV! (For more on moving picture resolution, see https://panasonic.ca/english/audiovi...sma/viera2.asp ). Essentially, this 600 Hz Panny is far better than a typical 1080p 60Hz or 120Hz LED/LCD TV, which can only deliver 350 lines of moving picture resolution.

Second, after breaking in the TV for 200 hours or so, I applied D-Nice's service menu reference offsets for the TC-PxxS2 and these work fantastic with my U2. The skin tones and colors look completely natural and take this TV to a whole new level.

Compared with my Panny C2, the U2 can be viewed from under 4' and I don't notice the pixel structure. With the C2 you I notice the pixel structure from 6'. From about 8' away, the C2's picture seems slightly softer. The colors on the U2 and C2 are pretty much the same, but the U2 renders subtle nuances more naturally. From about 10' - 12' away, it is really hard to tell the difference in PQ between the two.

Overall I am extremely pleased with my U2, especially with the incredible deal I got.

I have a 46" C2 and D-Nice adjustments with out the offsets, didn't come close for me. I used a calibration disc and now all is well. I do notice pixel lines on very bright images less then 6 ft due to the lower rectangular pixel ratio. As far as pq is concerned, I notice very little difference with an S2 recently in a controlled lighting environment, using a Blu-Ray disc more then 5 feet away. However these were on a 42" screens. Obviously, the larger the screen the greater the change, and both sets have to be adjusted pretty much the same. Enjoy.

Ian

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by D0T-C0M /forum/post/20227685

I was able to access the service menu but unlike in my g15's service menu there are no description on how to navigate through the different menus. Would they be the same as G15 which used the number pad to navigate. I do not want to screw up while navigating.

DOT-COM,

Apologies for the late reply. I am not sure about navigating through the service menu of the G15, but if you would like to see instructions for the C2 and U2, please see my post #113 in page 4 of the Official Panasonic TC-PXXC2 thread . It is critically important that you make a copy of the factory service menu settings, before you modify anything in the service menu.

Cheers,

·
Registered
215 Posts
Thanks for the response. That was the info I was looking for.

I was over at my friend's house last week and just checked the before calibration settings and the blue is off by about 14% (low) across the board while doing the grayscale test. With the info you posted I shoulld be alright to calibrate his grayscale.

I also just quickly wanted to set the contrast to get between 30-40 ftL and I could only get it to 30.8 at 100% and brought it down too 80% for a reading of 30.2ftL. On my G15 I was getting 48ftL at 100% contrast. The U2 is much lower

When I tried to set the brightness with the 3 bars (-4%, -2%, 0%) but I was unable to see the 3 bars at all. My G15 was very easy to see them but no matter what contrast and brightness I used on the u2 I was not able to make any of the 3 bars to appear. Was this the same with you?

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
DOT-COM,

Unfortunately am pretty clueless about gray scale calibration for this TV (I just use D-Nice's settings for the S2). Try posting your query in The Official 2010 Panasonic Settings Thread or any Panasonic G15/G20/G25 thread.

·
Registered
179 Posts
...you notice the pixel structure of the 50" C2 at 6 ft ....what about 7.2 ft ? Please

help ...it is my fixed viewing distance and i cant change it !

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by ertoil
...you notice the pixel structure of the 50" C2 at 6 ft ....what about 7.2 ft ? Please

help ...it is my fixed viewing distance and i cant change it !
Hi ertoil,

Apologies for the late reply. I did not check in for a couple of weeks.

To answer your question, there a slight clarification. What you notice about the "pixel structure" are the vertical lines. These vertical lines are just about noticeable at 6' with my 46" C2.

At 7' I can barely notice lines only if I look very hard. So I would say 7' viewing distance is fine, unless you are really picky. (BTW, I just looked again with my measuring tape).

Cheers,

Machani

1 - 8 of 8 Posts