AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I bought a Samsung 650 50 inch TV and it went back.

I kept getting stuck white pixels on the screen while watching blu ray movies.

But other than that the screen was a bit dark...and I had tweaked the setting using input I found on "pro" sites but nothing really grabbed me.

I am thinking about the Panasonic 800u?

Maybe an entry level Pioneer....

I just want a crisp picture thats relativley bright.

· Registered
5,088 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy650 /forum/post/15415123

But other than that the screen was a bit dark...and I had tweaked the setting using input I found on "pro" sites but nothing really grabbed me.

\\

Not a knock against Panasonic or Pioneer, but no plasma has a crisper picture than a Samsung. If you want brighter and crisper look at the Sony or Samsung LCD. I switched from 2 Elites and a Samsung plasma to the Samsung 950 LCD and the picture is fabulous and you can make it as bright as you want and there is nothing crisper

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have been considering the LCD...saw the 650 model but I really only watch movies and tv's not much gaming....

Salesmen kept steering me clear of the LCD's claiming best performance was Plasma.

· Registered
1,232 Posts
I had the 52" 650 for a month and it's a great display!

If you like the bright LCD is more likely to give you satisfaction especially if you have a bright viewing room.

The only reasons I opted for the 58" 650 plasma was I needed a wider viewing angle and a bigger screen (I replaced a 57") and while I do love my plasma the Samsung LCD was superb.

Don't listen to the salesdrones too much go with what YOU like.
Based on your viewing habits I don't believe you would have any issue with an LCD.

· Registered
433 Posts

Quote:

the screen was a bit dark...and I had tweaked the setting using input I found on "pro" sites but nothing really grabbed me.

If you thought the Sammy 650 was a bit dark, than don't even give the 800U a second look. The Samsung plasma's and 650 in particular are brighter than the Panasonic's.

IMHO the entry level Pioneer's, such as the 5020, is without a doubt the best choice.

· Registered
3,447 Posts

Quote:

Sorry to read that. Sounds like you had a defective panel.

· Registered
2,901 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by omeletpants /forum/post/15415163

\\

Not a knock against Panasonic or Pioneer, but no plasma has a crisper picture than a Samsung. If you want brighter and crisper look at the Sony or Samsung LCD. I switched from 2 Elites and a Samsung plasma to the Samsung 950 LCD and the picture is fabulous and you can make it as bright as you want and there is nothing crisper

So you no longer own a plasma...yet still cruise the plasma forum to steer people to lcd?

To the OP- Sounds like you got a defective set if you couldn't make it bright enough and kept getting "white pixels" stuck on screen. If you really want to stick with lcd then you might want to consider an exchange. Plasmas aren't about brightness...they will however give you excellent PQ under favorable viewing conditions. Also...unfortunate choice of username if you really ditch the Sammy.

· Registered
5,088 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemama127 /forum/post/15420024

So you no longer own a plasma...yet still cruise the plasma forum to steer people to lcd?

I own both an LCD and plasma. I have made a couple of positive comments about the 950 LCD but am not trying to steer anyone. LCDs have their place with a segment of the market and aren't for everyone. But if someone is looking for a bright picture it won't be a plasma. I love the Kuro and Samsung plasmas and the Samsung LCD. What's your point?

· Registered
2,901 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by omeletpants /forum/post/15420219

I own both an LCD and plasma. I have made a couple of positive comments about the 950 LCD but am not trying to steer anyone. LCDs have their place with a segment of the market and aren't for everyone. But if someone is looking for a bright picture it won't be a plasma. I love the Kuro and Samsung plasmas and the Samsung LCD. What's your point?

So when you say you "switched" you're really trying to tell us that you still own 2 Pio Elites, a Sammy plasma and yet choose to watch your Sammy lcd? I have a Ferrari 360 and a BMW M6 in the garage but I choose to drive my Toyota Tacoma instead.

· Registered
5,088 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemama127 /forum/post/15423106

So when you say you "switched" you're really trying to tell us that you still own 2 Pio Elites, a Sammy plasma and yet choose to watch your Sammy lcd? I have a Ferrari 360 and a BMW M6 in the garage but I choose to drive my Toyota Tacoma instead.

That's if I agree with your basic premise. The Elites were last generation and I sold them because the picture was too soft, which was a common complaint from owners. I still have the Samsung plasma. Apparently you haven't been keeping up on the Samsung 950 LCD series. The 950's blacks are closer to the Kuro than anything else on the market. The detail is terrific and the picture is much brighter. After adjustment I believe many would choose the 950, I did. Doesn't mean I'm hawking LCD as I regularly recommend the Kuro to people. The difference between us is that you are a plasma bigot as noted in your avatar. I keep an open mind.

You may prefer a plasma but read this review and tell me they were not impressed

http://ultimateavmag.com/flatpaneldi...tv/index1.html

· Registered
1,232 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvnhateSony /forum/post/15416304

If you thought the Sammy 650 was a bit dark, than don't even give the 800U a second look. The Samsung plasma's and 650 in particular are brighter than the Panasonic's.

IMHO the entry level Pioneer's, such as the 5020, is without a doubt the best choice.

I agree with LNHSony here side by side the 650 plasma was brighter than the 800u to me.

In comparison though overall all plasmas are not nearly as bright as LCDs just go to the store and see for yourself.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.