AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, like everything else in my home theater, I ended up going with a lot more than I wanted to buy (went from energy take 5.1 to Klipsch Reference, 36" non hdtv to 57" Toshiba Cinema series), so I ended up buying a shuttle barebones, athlon 2600, and I am going to use an old ati 8500 all in wonder for dvi to my tv.

I didn't buy a sound card, and I am wondering if the onboard sound with spdif output on my shuttle is going to be good enough to last for a little while. If the audio output is horrible I will buy a sound card, but since I only have one free slot, and that will be used for an hdtv tuner, I'll more than likely need to buy an audigy.

If I could get opinions on both the onboard shuttle audio and the audigy I would appreciate it greatly.

Thank you.

·
Registered
850 Posts
I have a SS51G which has a different chipset, but I was never able to get SPDIF passthrough from mine. I could get Prologic out with occasional dropouts, but the only way I was able to get reliable SPDIF out of my system was with the AIW 8500's SPDIF out.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by iibbmm
Well, like everything else in my home theater, I ended up going with a lot more than I wanted to buy (went from energy take 5.1 to Klipsch Reference, 36" non hdtv to 57" Toshiba Cinema series), so I ended up buying a shuttle barebones, athlon 2600, and I am going to use an old ati 8500 all in wonder for dvi to my tv.

I didn't buy a sound card, and I am wondering if the onboard sound with spdif output on my shuttle is going to be good enough to last for a little while. If the audio output is horrible I will buy a sound card, but since I only have one free slot, and that will be used for an hdtv tuner, I'll more than likely need to buy an audigy.

If I could get opinions on both the onboard shuttle audio and the audigy I would appreciate it greatly.

Thank you.
I have this setup with an ATI AIW Radeon 32MB card. I use the SK41G's SPDIF using the latest Realtek drivers from Realtek's web site, not Shuttle's. I can even assign the SPDIF to pass analog out the optical as well. I have all sounds from my HTPC going to my receiver, whatever the format. I don't use the SPDIF on my ATI card because it won't pass thru DTS.

I would recommend updating the ALC650 (Realtek) and enjoy SPDIF, including DTS. I may need to qualify a little bit though. I don't use ATI's lame MMC, but instead use WinDVD 4.5 Platinum. I can play DVD's from a folder, file, etc, and I can still enable hardware color and video acceleration, and it looks great.

By the way, getting the SPDIF bracket for the back of the XPC makes cable management much better. I was lucky, I had a bracket from an Asus P4T board, that I basically rewired to work with the XPC. The front optical doesn't work anymore, but I couldn't use it anyway.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by 90c4
Jeepman, are you getting true Dolby Digital (not just prologic)?
Yes, I can change listen mode on my Kenwood receiver and it displays Dolby Digital and the LED indicating DD is illuminated, and for DTS, I can see the LED illuminated indicating a DTS digital source. What player are you using to watch DVD's with. Does your XPC have the Realtek ALC650, or is it a different sound solution?

·
Registered
850 Posts
ALC650 with the latest drivers. Now that I think about it, I was able to get DD... but I was getting a frequent audio dropouts. Theatertek is the player I use.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So i should be able to get dolby digital using the integrated hardware as long as I dont use the ****** (apparently) shuttle drivers? If this is so, great, it's a load off of my mind. I will be able to tell pretty easily if the sound isn't up to par, which will lead me to buy a sound card, but I won't worry about it until all of my hardware is in.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I've used Shuttle drivers. I may have downloaded new ones, but its been a long time since I've updated them. I get DD out. I'm connected to my Marantz SR7200 and it sounds great. I even get many more Windows sounds to come out of it. I did also hook an analog (stereo obviously) hookup to my receiver too. I have them both hooked up to my DVD input and I can select analog or digital input to my receiver from the supplied remote. So its very doable and I didn't have to hunt around to get it to work.

As an aside, I didn't like the idea of having my optical out come out of the front of the SK41G, so I modded my case. I bought the optical out header "card" that isn't a card but takes up the slot in the back of the shuttle. After removing EVERYTHING from the case, I cut out the parallel port knock out to fit the "card". I cut the top and bottom off the card and mounted it horizontally across the top of the case. Installed everything back into the Shuttle, hooked the ribbon on the "card" up to the pins on the MoBo and walla - optical out the back.

Easy mod. Don't get psyched out about cutting it up. Make sure you remove everything because little metal bits aren't good for the innards. While you're at it remove the PSU and put in a quieter fan. Also very easy to do. I also replaced my heat-pipe fan with a "stealth" fan. Now if I could mod my 9500 Radeon to be quieter I'd have it made. I don't want to hack out the side and I need the PCI slot for the PVR250 so a Zalaman is out of the question.

Sorry for the long post. I must be avoiding something at work. :)

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well, i ended up buying a sound blaster extigy for $65 shipped, so we will see how it works out.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I was going to comment that the M-Audio FW410 might be a very attractive device for the shuttles, with thier onboard Firewire connections.

Has anyone actually listened to one yet? Supposedly they are shipping.

kiwi

·
Registered
31 Posts
I bought an Audigy 2 but never used it because it uses a coax SPDIF and not the optical so I'm sticking with my Realtek 650 in my SB51. My receiver only had 1 coax SPDIF being used by my cable box.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by 90c4
ALC650 with the latest drivers. Now that I think about it, I was able to get DD... but I was getting a frequent audio dropouts. Theatertek is the player I use.
Update - I replaced my Onkyo receiver and that removed the dropout problems. I recently learned that there were some issues with Onkyo receivers and digital inputs a few years ago.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
update for me too that I actually got dd5.1 working with toslink out on the shuttle, but the extigy is great as well using it's toslink

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I'm late to the party...but my SS51G SPDIF works great as well, out of the box (although I did update all drivers prior to hooking it into my HT.)

Lavike. Pictures? I'd love to move my optical to the rear.

Brian

·
Registered
850 Posts
I've got a question on your extigy - one of the issues I have is that my Shuttle is driving 2 systems, a projector in one room and a LCD monitor in another. The LCD monitor has analog speakers. I can get sound out of both my systems simultaneously only if I use prologic, as that allows analog out of the back of the shuttle in addition to digital. If I set my player (Theatertek) to SPDIF, I can only get audio out of my projector system. Does the Extigy allow you to send out a DD signal AND convert them to analog at the same time? If so, I might pick one up.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.