AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I needed a new green gun for my 1001q as it has a spot burnt on it, I wanted to spend reasonable as I do not know if the projector has a scan rate problem and may fdo the same thing. On ehting I think I got hosed on is the guy that came in a t the last minute to bump my bid from $60.00 to $90.00 , by looking at the time it would make me think the buyer and the bidder are the same. So is this a bad deal on the tube?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ndexURL=0&rd=1

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Sir

I would be more concerned about why the spot developed. CRT projectors need and have a circuit called 'spot kill' which slams the cathode to way below black when powering off the projector. This is necessary so you don't have beam hitting the phosphor without sweep to move the beam around; a stationary beam for even a tenth of a second can dig a divot in the phosphor coating. Better check the spot kill function before you kill another tube.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
I have bought things on ebay with 4secs left. No sense forcing your hand till the end, might give the wannabe winners enough guts to out bid you. Put the max you want to pay with 10secs left and leave it at that, if you win great, if not someone wanted it more.

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Sir

You would need the service manual for that model and a voltmeter or oscilloscope to check if spot kill is functioning correctly; if you are not technically inclined then call a Sony expert. Also, look into the green lens at power-off and see if beam remains; it should go black at once.

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
I doubt you got hosed by Joe. I've bought many tubes from him on and off E-bay and can tell you that he is honest as the day is long. In fact one full set that I bought from him was damaged in shipping and rather than deal with the shipping Co., he just sent out a new set and was recieved within a week no questions asked. I hope this eases your mind?

Chip S.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.