AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I wanted to watch our home movies on our 50" plasma without having to burn them onto DVD's (in the process loose quality) I bought the WD TV and a 1 TB Mybook HD. Both things work great for the most part. The WD TV is very easy to use and has great resolution via the HDMI and the MH, well it looks good (after reformatting to NTFS).

The problem is all (many!) my home movies are filmed on my Sony Mini DV camera and when I download the movie into my HD they are saved as .AVI files. The WD TV specs sais it will play .AVI file but apparently not from my Sony camera!!! I was able to play another .AVI file (downloaded movie) with no problem. The WD TV bring an ArcSoft software to convert files to a format the WD TV ca read but that's not working either with my Sony originated .AVI files!

Should I take it back (ASAP) or should I get a video conversion software that lets me convert the 11-12 GB movies into a file that the WD TV can read!?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Handbrake, THANKS! I saw the page where I can download it but with Vista do I want the GUI or Command Line Interface version?

Currently my .avi files are 11-12 GB straight from the camera and the video quality is very good. I really don't want to loose video quality; is this going to maintain it?

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, I downloaded the GUI version.

I click on source, find the file, set it up for any other format (MP4, DVix), click start, a black DOS type box opens and 2 seconds later on the bottom it sais Encoding Finished but I don't see any difference and the original .avi file is not .MP4 or DVix? Is this right?

It worries me that this software can't help me just like the one ArcSoft software included with the WD TV.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They all have always played perfectly on my PC and in the past I have burned many of them onto DVD using a Roxio software; that's the reason I bought the WD TV.

After using Mediainfo I think it's telling me that my video file (s) are .AVI (Opem DML)? Does that make sence? Recognize it?

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
candre23, I'll follow your advice during the day as I'm on my way to work.

You are very knowledgeable on the subject and I really appreciate you sharing all this with me and anyone else that may read this post.

Hope I can do the same for you some day.

I'll try it and I'll post the results.

Take care.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
candre23, I hate to abuse your assistance but......

I opened Mvix and there VirtualDub is recommended to make the .AVI non-open DML. I downloaded VirtualDub and even followed the intrusions given on Mvix but no luck?! All I get is a message from VirtualDub telling me "The file cannot be save because its being used by another process". No idea what that means since the file was not even open.

Any advice on how to use VirtualDub or on how to make my .AVI file non-opened DML.

All this hassle to use the WD TV, incredible.......

·
Registered
1,731 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by strafejumper /forum/post/16963282

i blame the weird sony file more than the wdtv for this

So yeah Sony has done some weird stuff with proprietary formats in the past and present. But reading this thread (albeit late on a Friday night after many drinks) it seems somewhat surreal.

Might I propose something else?

The camcorder files are raw video. Usually captured in Windows boxes in an .avi container. They are Ginormous files. The original poster previously stated 11-12 gig 'straight from the camera' without specifying a time frame. In any case 11-12 gigs speak to raw DV capture (to me anyway).

What you need to do is edit / compress these into mpg2 for archival storage. Or if you choose... mpg4 / x.264 for even better compression vs. quality but more limited playback options.

By way of example....The path from home movies, to popcorn night, with the kids involves these steps.

Capture

Edit

Compress

Author.

Capture - get video onto the pc. The files are typically captured via firewire and are huge because each damn frame is captured.[Letely I have used WinDV on my Win 7 rig, because direct vid capture seems to have been removed by redmond]

Edit - Most consumer video editing apps can deal in raw DV captures. And if your family is anything like mine there is a fair amount of chaff to be thrown out. [ I use Womble mpeg video wizard because it played nice with my replayTV files in the past, and I am too old to be learning new tricks].

Compress: most consumer vid editing apps will take your edited raw video an spit out an mpg2 (dvd compatible) file at whatever bit rate you specifiy so long as it is dvd compliant. [ Womble mpeg video wizard again]

Author - Import the mpg 2 into a menu and chapter editing progy to burn dvds or iso for all your WD NMT owning friends.

(I author a disk so I can send one out to my luddite relatives without an XBMC / SageTV / WD NMT, but I like to keep an ISO around on RAID5 & backed-up-off-site-to-magnetic media, so I can burn another disk when the original fails, and can always play the iso directly from XBMC or Sage. Whew!) [I use DVD Lab Studio from media chance, 'cuz it gets the job done with aplomb].

Getting back to your original gripe...I'd be surprised if the WD could handle raw DV.

But as I said, it a Friday night after many drinks and I may have misread this entire thread.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Slack, I read your post "under the same consitions" on a Friday night scary!

Thanks I appreciate any advice since I'm very frustrated with this "thing" and I just want to make it work (WD TV).

·
Registered
793 Posts
I'll try to make it simple: no media player or DVD player will ever play .avi with DV codec that is THE compression format of ALL DV cameras - the reason is simple - it's proprietary (Sony) and the implementation involves paying Sony dearly for it...Windows have built-in SOFTWARE decoder for it which MS also payed for to Sony, but MS is BIG and they find profit and advantage in this because EVERYONE is cutting their DV videos on plain computers (otherwise Sony would have a hard time selling more of their cameras if you couldn't cut DV on your average comp)...so you can stick with what you were doing so far, converting to DVD MPEG-2, or sell the WDTV (but don't bother buying any other media player because none will decode DV - not enough horsepower because there is no hardware decoding for DV and no legal permission)...sorry...

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok gents, here's an update. I only hope I make myself understood since learning about all this video formats as I go;

Thanks to the help of candre23 I was able to use the software HanBrake (which somehow finally started to work for me) and I was able to turn my raw Sony originated .AVI (open DML) files into .AVI / AVC & .AVI / MKV files. I did two different formats to see which one worked and these two worked fine on the WD TV, BUT I can't watch either file on my Windows OS anymore!!! (I still have the original raw video file 12 GB / 60 min.). I also made a copy in .MPEG4 and that one the computer nor will the WD TV recognize. Also, since I can’t see or open the “new” video files in my computer I can’t edit or add titles to them which I like to do. I would have to add those things before turning the files into a format that the media player recognizes.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the issue seems to be;

I can keep the original raw file (12 GB / 60 min.) and be bale to watch it from my computer, in the future being able to burn to DVD or do as I wish and one in a format that the WD TV recognizes. It seems to me that using 12 GB x 2 is way too much space being taken for each movie and I have many.

Should I just buy a small desk top or laptop computer and some how connect it to the TV so I can watch my home movies and not loose the original raw video?

What is the purpose of the WD TV, or any other media player, if one has to change the format of the movie in the process only being able to watch the movies either on the media player or on the computer but not both?

Help…………..

Thanks.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The more I think about it I think I should just get an inexpensive PC and set it up with my TV in the process having all my home movies, pictures, music. The WD TV was $100 (which I’ll return) and the PC will run me $300-$400 but its less headaches I think.

·
Registered
793 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami Guy /forum/post/16965900

What is the purpose of the WD TV, or any other media player, if one has to change the format of the movie in the process only being able to watch the movies either on the media player or on the computer but not both?

Help…………..

Thanks.

You are starting from the wrong assumption...WD TV plays almost everything, there will always be something it won't play due to properitary or other reason like the said DV...there are zillions of compression formats out there, you can't expect to play them all...I so far haven't converted a single file to make it playable on WD TV, they ALL played OK...

if you converted to AVC .avi /mkv or something like that, you need an AVC/h.264 decoder software, like ffshow or CoreAVC to play the new files you made on your PC because these don't come with windows, that's ALL you need to do...don't give up so easily, microshit didn't supply everything out of the box, you know...

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok mytbyte, so keeping it very basic; Can I make my home movies playable with high quality resolution (size is not an issue) in both my PC and WD TV??? How much work per movie would that be?

Considering that I know sh.t about this should I just spend more money and have a small PC next to the TV?

To me it seems much easier to download the video from the Sony MiniDV camera into the HD, put some titles on it with Windows Movie Maker and play it for the family from the PC with Windows Media Center?!

·
Registered
521 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami Guy /forum/post/16967789

Ok mytbyte, so keeping it very basic; Can I make my home movies playable with high quality resolution (size is not an issue) in both my PC and WD TV??? How much work per movie would that be?

Considering that I know sh.t about this should I just spend more money and have a small PC next to the TV?

To me it seems much easier to download the video from the Sony MiniDV camera into the HD, put some titles on it with Windows Movie Maker and play it for the family from the PC with Windows Media Center?!

You can try a mini-Itx... with a mother board like this! ZOTAC Ion ITX A-E - Chipset MCP7A-ION - Mini ITX (167€)

In a box like that!

You just have to add it 2Gb Ram and a Hard disk... and you are ready to go!

This is the platform ION from Nvidia... it can even read the Killa sample (1080p; 16 reframes; 35 bit rate) using only 15% of the cpu!

You can install XMBC Live (Linux Based), configure it well and then you can read everything! Just turn the computer on, and you are in the media center! No more troubles... no more wait for firmware upgrades!

Hope this can help you!

·
Registered
278 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami Guy /forum/post/16967789

Miamiguy, you are missing the point. Your present PC can play the files you made!! They just need the codecs installed. Install ffdshow (google it), and you should be good to go.

Alan

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.