·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Heads up guys, close outs at best buy:

RX-V567 $180

RX-V667 $250

RX-V767 $399

I really wanted the 667, but I only found the 567 in stock in all the stores around so I bought it. It's in the box and I'm deciding if I should open it....

To begin,

I am a novice in this department, and am running an OLDDDD STR-K840P , Yes I know, ancient...

So I have to upgrade, need some HDMI ports!

My Specs are below. My needs are just a decent sounding surround sound system my biggest complaint in this current system is explosions are louddd and voice is really low. Not sure if that's the receiver or the speakers fault.

Anyhow, my questions are:

1) Are the speakers sufficient for the receiver?

2) Is this receiver going to limit me in any way such as possibly upgrading my speakers in the future to something else... remember, nothing high-end, I'm going for bang for your buck setup.

My Setup is basically from an old HT system the Sony HT-6500DP:

1x Receiver: STR-K840P

1x Center: SS-CNP2

4x Speakers: SS-MSP2

1x Subwoofer: SA-WMSP4

From the Manual online I found the specs to be:

------------------------------------------------------------
Power Output and Total Harmonic Distortion:

With 8 ohm loads, both channel driven, from 40 - 20,000 Hz; rated 100 watts per channel minimum RMS power, with no more than .09% total harmonic distortion from 250 milliwatts to rated output.

Amplifier section:

Rated Power Output at Stereo Mode

(8 ohms 40 Hz - 20 kHz, THD .09%)

100 W + 100 W

Reference Power Output

(8 ohms, 1 kHz, THD .7%)

Front: 100 W/ch

Center: 100 W

SURR: 100 W/ch

Speaker Section:

Speaker System: Full range, magentically shielded

Speaker Units: 70 mm x 100 mm cone type

Enclosure Type: Bass reflex

Rated Impedance 8 ohms

Power handling capacity: 100 W

Sensitivity level: 85dB

Frequence Range: 160 Hz - 20,000 Hz

Subwoofer:

Active Subwoofer, magnetically shielded 20cm cone

Continuous RMS power output (6 ohmz, 20 - 250 Hz) 100 W

Reproduction frequency range 28 Hz - 200 Hz

High Frequency Cut-off frequency 150 Hz

Input LINE IN (input pin jacks)

Power Requirements 120V AC, 60Hz

Power Consumption 100 W

------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks a MILLION guys!

·
Registered
219 Posts
I would go no lower than the 667. Can BB have it shipped from another store? If not, was the 767 available? If the answer is no to both, you should be ok with the 567. Just upgrade those speakers ASAP! What I don't like about the 567 is the lack of power. Also, I do not think it has preamp outs to add more power later if you feel the need. Home Theatre is very addicting. I like to get more than what I think I need because I'll inevitably want more after a while.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How big of a difference are we talking in the 667 vs 567 in laymen's terms?

I can't find the 667 on clearance only the 1 567 i found, so you wouldn't keep the 567 at $180 ?

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
You can compare the 567 and 667 at Yamaha.com. The 667 may have more power, I forget.

But why second guess a $180 purchase? I have spent that much in an evening of debauchery.

·
Registered
29,311 Posts
The 667 is the far better receiver. It has discrete amplification, preouts and 7.1 analog inputs, video upscaling, GUI interface, Zone 2 capability plus extra HDMI inputs.

The 567 uses IC chips for amps and has a smaller power supply than the 667. The RX-V667 is worth the $70 increase in price.

The 567 has a 245 watt power supply while the 667 has a 400W supply.

Look for a RX-V667.

No matter what you do get some better speakers. Full range single drivers will not do the trick.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt /forum/post/20907047

No matter what you do get some better speakers. Full range single drivers will not do the trick.

Hah...tell that to Lowther fans!

·
Registered
1 Posts
New to the forum. Thanks for the heads up on BB pricing. Tracked down a V667 NIB after calling 4 stores in 2 states all who "might" have one in stock (on route back from holiday weekend). Saving $140 off Amazon and picking up today. Love when that happens. Thanks!!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I WISH I found the v667, none in my area :'(

What speakers do you guys recommend, or in other words what am I looking for in speakers to match with the receiver?

I don't want to buy speakers that are too powerful and waste money or under powered...

Noobie question but am I looking for a certain Wattage or what exactly in the 5 speakers (2 rear/2front/1 center)

And is my Subwoofer good to keep or do I need to replace it as well? Sounds pretty good to me, it gets its own power from the wall.... stats above...

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
7,990 Posts
What's your budget for speakers? Speakers are really the most important part of your purchase. If you're satisfied with your Sony HTiB setup that's great but there are some better sounding budget 5.1 setups.

For example:

From Pioneer:

FS51 towers $200/pair

FS21 surrounds $89/pair

SP-C21 $79

SW8 subwoofer $169-I'd recommend a better subwoofer from HSU, or Outlaw. These ID offer reasonably priced quality subs.

From Infinity:

4xP163 bookshelves or

2xP363 towers, 2x163 bookshelves

P351 CC

subwoofer: see above.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.