AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a total newbie to the home stereo market, and counted on advice and bought myself a Onkyo 595 to start my home stereo out strong. Now I need speakers.

I want high a high quality brand, but not too expensive. I would like either a nice size pair of front tower speakers or a nice sized pair of bookshelf speakers for the front. I know I should get a nice center speaker too, and I'd like to get decent back speakers for surround action. I'm looking to spend something like $300 if possible, but keep in mind that I just bought a nice receiver and I'd like the speakers to use its high power and quality. If I get a pair of tower speakers with subs in them, do I need an additional sub?

Can you guys throw out some suggestions, I usually find all of your help very informative.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Adam,

It's hard to say what would meet your requirements without asking a few questions.

1: How large is your room? This can have an impact on what type of speakers one can recommend. There are several nice sounding smaller speakers, but if the room is too large they these wouldn't perform adequately.

2: How many speakers are you looking to buy? $300.00 is pretty tight for 5.1. You can get a pair of fronts in this price range.

Acoustic Research - HC-6 has recently received good reviews. $525.00 at soundpros.com.

Home Theater Direct has a great line of speakers. Most notably their LEVEL III speakers. If the $300.00 budget is for the fonts, then it's in budget. If not, maybe look at LEVEL I.

Honestly, If you're looking to spend $300.00 for the entire set up, I'd seriously consider making an adjustment. It would be better to return the 595 for something like a 494 and use the difference on the speakers. I think spending more of your budget on the speakers is a better idea.

If you're willing to take a chance, you might want to try an outlet deal on HLS 615's at $99.00 each.

http://www.harmanaudio.com/search_br...BFS&market=HOM

For the $$$'s I really like this speaker. The only problem being to find a matching center since they are out of production. I'd recommend an HLS 610 as a center since the HLS center hasn't been well looked upon. I listened closely to these speakers a few years ago when they were available at best buy, I have to say that they were my favorite speaker out of all the offering they provided. I found them to be more natural, musical, and open.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I also just purchased the Onkyo XT-DS595. It is enroute and my speakers also should arrive today!!!. I have a small to medium sized room I would guess. So I went for the Home Theater Direct Level Two 5.1 set of speakers, $504 shipped. I think the receiver could easily have handled the Level Three, but my budget didn't allow for it. It is a $500 to $775 jump.

With that Onkyo I would definately recommend more speaker than $300 is going to buy you. I probably should have spent the $750, but I just didn't have it. I am going to try them out for the 30 days and if I need more, then maybe I will grovel and beg my wife to let me get the Level threes. However, I think the Level Twos will work out fine.

Whatever you do, make sure you know what you are getting. I was going to go to the local electronics store and get help until I realized they were selling the Onkyo's for 50%-100% more than I could get them for online.

-Nathan

·
Registered
155 Posts
I ordered an Onkyo TX-DS575X, Factory Renewed from Onecall for $295.79 including 3 day shipping and new factory warranty. I also ordered a PSB Alpha system for my speaker setup (4 Alpha a/v's, 1 Alpha center and an Alpha Subsonic 5) for a very good price from yawaonline.

I think this will be a good combination that you might want to consider.

Neil

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
I'd highly recommend looking for the latest rag with a review of the AR HC-6 speakers I mentioned above. The magazine, I think Sound and Vision provided a glowing review. Very close in price to this one.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The Acoustic Research HC6 package looks very comparable to the Home Theater Direct Level Two 5.1. but the Acoustic Research HC6 also LOOKS really great! Can you guys help me compare these two packages, and offer any other suggestions on speaker packages that are comparable to these two packages in price and quality?

I really appreciate all of your help!

·
Registered
157 Posts
I have no direct experience with either set of speakers, since my receiver hasn't arrived yet. Looking solely at the specs I still like the HTDs.

They seem to have better frequency response on the mains and center, 50Hz(55Hz center)-20kHz, whereas the Acoustic Research HC6 is at 80Hz-20kHz. The HC6 powered sub beats the HTD by 2Hz at 28Hz, but only puts out 100 watts, and the HTD does 125 watts continuous down to 30Hz.

I just opened my HTD level 2s and I don't think they look all that bad. I will take some pictures and post them.

-nathan

·
Registered
157 Posts
Here is a picture of the sub, center, and a main. Personally, I think they are adorable in this picture*.

The original full-size image can be found here .

-nathan

*Baby girl not included in HTD Level Two package. Speakers may lose some appeal without baby accessory.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Adam,

The difference between 100W and 125W is pretty much negligible. The frequency range specs. don't tell the whole story, the real question is how do they sound and how do they integrate.

I'd say either the level II or AR HC6 would be good choices, however the only real way to tell which you would prefer is if you could audition them. Unfortunately that doesn't seem to be the case so the next best thing would be to read reviews carefully.

AR HC6.
http://www.hometheatermag.com/shownews.cgi?144

Looks like the Perfect Vision is the magazine with the article I mentioned in an earlier post.
http://www.theperfectvision.com/current.html

HTD LVL II (Mind you this is a CNet review)
http://www.cnet.com/electronics/0-63...3-1304-7813280

·
Registered
157 Posts
Quote:
The difference between 100W and 125W is pretty much negligible. The frequency range specs. don't tell the whole story, the real question is how do they sound and how do they integrate.
True, True, and True. I think I read you have to 10x the watts to double total volume, so 25 watts is indeed probably negligible. Both are rated higher than what the Onkyo will put out, anyways. And hopefully, since these sets were built to go together they will integrate well, but there are no guarantees.

Quote:
however the only real way to tell which you would prefer is if you could audition them. Unfortunately that doesn't seem to be the case so the next best thing would be to read reviews carefully.
Again true. At least you are probably getting $500 worth of speakers either way, where as if you went down to the local store and auditioned some, you would get $300 worth of speakers for your $500.

If you are anywhere near Utah on Monday when my Onkyo arrives you can come listen to the HTDs. ;)

-nathan

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.