AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hello just bought floor model Panasonic 65zt60 from paul's tv and they are trying to sell me there 5 year extended warranty for $400 is it worth it for what they call a collectors model tv?? I think I

got a good deal on it, paid $2600 plus $200 dollar gas card..

would you buy the 5 year for extended warranty for $400, I

have 30 days after purchase to decide.

thanks in advance, Dave

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
Yes.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
I would not.

it's been my experience that if the unit is defective, it will break well within the manufacturers warranty. and if it's not defective, either you can avoid breaking the car by being careful, or in some cases, warranty wouldn't cover the damage anyway. for me, I'd rather have the 400bux to put towards replacing it with another used plasma instead of having a shiny new LED waiting for me...

I had a lubrico warranty on a used car I bought one time. when I read the fine print I realized it basically said it only covers defects. it will not cover failures due to use and wear, or damage caused by other components that failed due to use or wear. buying a car with 250,000kms on it, it's pretty unlikely anything on it was defective.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I bought a floor model 65ST60 from HHGregg but didn't buy their extended warranty. When I registered the TV at Panasonic.com they recommended Squaretrade for the warranty so I did that for 3 years, in case I do something stupid like crack the panel. Much cheaper than what HHGregg offered and it gives me a little piece of mind.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Any consumer / electronics publication out there will tell you extended warranties for TVs are a waste of money. And the endless "My Uncle Ted had a warranty, his tv broke" posts are just fodder for the stupid.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts