AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been following these forums for a couple of weeks. I wanted a 65 inch wide screen. Initially interested in Mits. due to upgrade guarantee and size of forum. Then looked at Tosh. due to better technology and specs. I went to Sears to compare and got sidetracked by the Hitachi. Its picture was simply brighter and clearer and the field of view appeared wider. I do not want to go to the expense of $750 or so for an ISF calibrator so unprof. calibration is important for me. I went to Sears, CC and Sound Advice and spoke at length with longtime salespeople about set comparisons. Sound Advice pushed the Mits. CC and Sears said Hitachi hands down. The only reservations I had were 61 inch vs 65 inch and the upgradeability of the Hitachi. I E-mailed Hitachi, and they responded, but it was kind of unclear, other than they said the goal of DVI was to not render today's tvs obsolete. ??? Toshiba referred me to customer service who said the DVI would only affect the settop receivers, not the tvs??? I went with the Hitachi. Sears gave a pricematch, but set was still more $ than I could have gotten Mits or Tosh 65 inch for. Right decision?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I think you'll be happy with your decision. I've had a 61SWX01W for about 3 months now and love it! They have quirks and small problems, but, like you, I felt it blew away the Mits sets at the store. Don't worry too much about the DVI/Firewire issue--it's a couple years off and nearly all current owners of HDTVs will be in the same boat, so hopefully something can be worked out. Other than the Pioneer Elites, I haven't seen a set that can match the Hitachi.

Rick

·
Registered
133 Posts
I am on my third Toshiba HDTV after having problems with the first two. In looking at Toshiba, Mits, Panasonic and Hitachi sets at several places, I too think that the Hitachi picture is the best of the lot. Also, they look to be the best finished of the brands I have looked at. I have heard that they are not easy to adjust though. What has been the experience of those of you who own one?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the 61SWX01B and I am very happy with it. The only issue I have is that in mostly dark scenes (like space scenes) the light from whatever is not dark seems to affect the black level slightly. It is almost as if light is reflecting around inside the set. Does anyone one else have this problem?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.