AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, after agonising for a while I made the decision and plonked some dosh down for the HS10. Ill be picking it up in abut 3 months time. And have some interim questions.

What exactly comes with the HS10 new? Do you get a cinema filter?

Mounting:

I want to ceiling mount it. When ceiling mounting does the projector go inverted for this? or does it hang from the roof right way up. Also, is there an option to make your own box to stick it in. Something wood with holes for vents but nailed/glued to the roof/frame. And the pj sits in the box.

Tweaking:

Out of the box tweaking without using a HTPC. What needs to be done. Do I need to access a factory mode or something? Is there a list of tweaks somewhere for me to read.

Screen:

A salesman told me the higher the gain of a screen, the worse the image appears from a diagonal viewing aspect. Is this true. What sort of gain screen works well with the HS10. I will have pretty good light control.

Pricing:

I could have sworn I saw the hs10 for sale from a shop here in australia for $7999 but now sony.com lists rrp at $6999. I know there has been a price drop on the 12ht, has the hs10 come down as well? I got it for less than 6k so im just curious.

Cheers.

·
Registered
306 Posts
How can you possibly wait three months? Iwouldn't be able to handle more than 3 hrs! Bought my HS10 from Sony (who beleive it or not had the best price!) in Chapel St Melb for $5700. I dont think they were ever above $6600...

If you mount it from the ceiling it hangs upside down. If you keep it upright you will end up with the picture projecting on the ceiling.

I bought some plastic subwoofer tuning ports from Jaycar to form a mounting pole but 50mm plastic drain pipe would also do. A piece of MDF covered in self adhesive black velvet fabric from Bunnings for the base.

For a screen you could start with a couple of mtrs of blackout material from Spotlight. Make sure you frame it with some more black adhesive felt - all good pictures need a decent frame!

I managed to find some very fine light gray silk material that seems perfect for the screen - perhaps just a shade too dark but it makes the blacks very black. A true 'silver screen'...

Good luck with your HS10 - the lamp bug seems to be alive and well in Melbourne too...

Oh yes the HS10 comes with the filter plus a long multi input lead - very handy.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Boy, I waited 2 months for mine and I thought I was patient. Hey Angry, I paid $5950 from the same place! I must have sounded desperate...

Retail is supposed to be $6499 in Oz.

Theres a bunch of HS10 tweaking threads already, just do a search. You'll probably want to head to Vanbar Photographics in Carlton to score a CC40R optical filter (refer threads for details.)

·
Registered
306 Posts
I highly recommend the DaLite Cine Vision High Contrast screen. It is 1.1 gain. A lot of HS10 owners use this and I couldn't be happier with it. It really seems to marry well with the HS10. It does come with the cinema filter so no worries there. Some people here have spent some extra money for another filter but the picture is great with just the supplied filter.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi

Yes my Sony HS10 came with a Cinema Filter. It also came with a lead that has a data connection to the hs10 and on the other end offers:

component inputs (3 leads)

composite video (single lead)

s-video (single lead)

which is a total length of 10 metres VERY HANDY. The projector still has spare inputs too. Yes you can make your own mount but keep in mind to invert the projector for ceiling mount. I got mine for $5400 from Trevor Lees Audio in Kew.

regards,

Richard

CLUBVX

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.