AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings, all. As I'm sure can be seen this is the first of what I hope will be many posts on this fine forum. I just bought my first house - an older one that I'm in the process of remodeling - and have set aside a budget of about $10K to get a nice, private HT done. Any advice from you sage fellows will be taken to heart and much appreciated.

First, the room. Its dimensions are 11'x13' with an arched ceiling about 12'-13' high at its center. The arch runs along the long access of the room and the television will be placed along oen side wall, the the viewing couch opposite of it, putting our backs more or less against the wall and creating a viewing distance of about 9'. The only windows in the room are immediately behind the viewer and will be heavily draped most of the time, the floors are hardwood and will be covered in rugs.

After perusing the sexy-slim LED's, I've pretty much settled on the Panasonic Viera 58" (TC-P58V10)... all the reviews I've read have been incredibly positive and the size should keep me from missing my projector too too much. I haven't decided yet if I'm going to wall-mount or stand mount it.

As for sound, after agonizing over how I'm going to install the rear channel speakers (rear wall is exterior with no attic access), an option was brought to my attention that I am now seriously considering: a soundbar - specifically the Definitive Mythos SSA-50. Again, it has been very well reviewed and seems to be a great option given the rooms relatively small size and shape. As rear channel speakers would have had to be mounted to the side rather than behind, this should be a very adequate solution... but if anyone thinks/knows otherwise please say so. The speaker system will need a subwoofer to fully benefit from its range, so I am planning on picking up the Definitive Super Cube III as well.

AVR-wise I find myself really torn. The only real criteria I have it that it be able to manage two zones so that I can wire some sound throughout other rooms in the house, perhaps even source a smaller TV in the kitchen... the models I'm currently looking at are the Onkyo TX-SR706, the Onkyo TX-SR806B and the Denon AVR2310CI, favoring the latter. Again - any advice would be most welcome.

I had not given overmuch thought to the blu-ray player, but after reading a handful of reviews and seeing the pricepoint down to $250-$300 or so, I'm planning on going with the Denon DVD-2500BTCI...

If you've actually gotten this far, thanks for taking the time and reading through it all. I'm a relative neophyte in this area and at the moment my goal is to build a modest HT that will give me the most bang for my buck (how original, I know). Hopefully, the learned amongst us will be able to head me off from making any potentially disasterous decisions.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
You mention "HT" in description of your effort/goal so I share with you our experience. We started with a 56in 1080p HDTV - problem is no television available today can deliver a "Theater" experience and in our experience a television with an expensive surround sound system is just a television with external speakers no matter how good they sound "sound" cannot deliver a "Theater" experience either.

So, we kept the "little" television and bought a projector and wall screen. Our projector wall-to-wall distance is 13 ft - just like your room and with a 96 inch wide screen we get plenty of "Theater" WOW. We still like the tv and it does a great TV job but when we want HT/Home Theater the lights have to dim and the Theater sized screen has to light up.

With a $10k budget you can also have a very nice television and "HT" with a PJ - if you've already had a projector you must already know TV can't do HT - today that can only be done with a PJ and screen.

If I simply had to go with a TV I'd look at the Mits 82 in. RPTV - still not big enough for Theater but a LOT more like it than anything smaller.

Best of Luck

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by imjay /forum/post/17034429

You mention "HT" in description of your effort/goal so I share with you our experience. We started with a 56in 1080p HDTV - problem is no television available today can deliver a "Theater" experience and in our experience a television with an expensive surround sound system is just a television with external speakers no matter how good they sound "sound" cannot deliver a "Theater" experience either.

So, we kept the "little" television and bought a projector and wall screen. Our projector wall-to-wall distance is 13 ft - just like your room and with a 96 inch wide screen we get plenty of "Theater" WOW. We still like the tv and it does a great TV job but when we want HT/Home Theater the lights have to dim and the Theater sized screen has to light up.

With a $10k budget you can also have a very nice television and "HT" with a PJ - if you've already had a projector you must already know TV can't do HT - today that can only be done with a PJ and screen.

If I simply had to go with a TV I'd look at the Mits 82 in. RPTV - still not big enough for Theater but a LOT more like it than anything smaller.

Best of Luck

Thanks for the response. Yes, I had a projector - still do in fact, an Optoma H78DC3 with a 96" glass beaded greywolf screen. Absolutely loved it, but its being reserved for the garage - an open garage that faces the street for football games and the occaisional good weather viewing when we have guests over... the room I'm putting together mentioned in the post above is intended for a little more intimacy and with a little more casual use.

·
Registered
635 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSUwiggz /forum/post/17034550

...but its being reserved for the garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSUwiggz /forum/post/17034550

...is intended for a little more intimacy...

NOTHING says intimate like 100 inches, and I know from experience.

------------------------------

As far as your plan is concerned, I don't know anything about the products you have picked out in there, but I know enough to know you won't need but a part of your $10K proposed budget...unless you are planning on some crazy furnishings. If we are just talking equipment here, then you will have some room to play with...enough room for a projector and screen I would think.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdeuce /forum/post/17034748

NOTHING says intimate like 100 inches, and I know from experience.

------------------------------

As far as your plan is concerned, I don't know anything about the products you have picked out in there, but I know enough to know you won't need but a part of your $10K proposed budget...unless you are planning on some crazy furnishings. If we are just talking equipment here, then you will have some room to play with...enough room for a projector and screen I would think.

So you're thinking like an Epson 6500UB? would 10' even be within its throw range for a 90"=100" screen?

·
Registered
635 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSUwiggz /forum/post/17035098

So you're thinking like an Epson 6500UB? would 10' even be within its throw range for a 90"=100" screen?

Well, throw distance would be a larger consideration, but it's plenty doable. I don't have enough projector knowledge to know what brands are better at that though. There's plenty of knowledge here though, I'm sure someone knows.

I think www.projectorpeople.com (sponsor of the forum as well) has pretty good throw calculators also.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.