AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all!

So I bought a new receiver... Yamaha RX-V367

Went to set it up with my existing speakers/sub and noticed that the subwoofer output on the new reciever has a composite(?) hookup, as opposed to my old reciever that has a speaker wire output...

Now before I go and blow up my apartment, I want to check in with you guys here and make sure I can do what im thinking.

I THOUGHT that I could head over to best buy and get: RCA Speaker Wire Extension and cut off the female end, split the wires and plug those into my subwoofer.

Well, am I safe???

·
Registered
22,643 Posts
Before any realistic suggestions can be offered... what is the make/model of the subwoofer?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman /forum/post/19539550

Before any realistic suggestions can be offered... what is the make/model of the subwoofer?

Well, the speakers and sub came with my old receiver... its the RCA that can be seen in this picture ...its so old im not sure if I can even find a webpage for it... and im not at home to give a model number

Just thought I could shoot a post out at work and see if people could steer me in the right direction!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandM /forum/post/19539652

That RCA sub is passive meaning it needs power from a receiver in order to work. The sub output on you Yamaha is for a powered subwoofer. Honestly too much trouble to make it work

BALLS!

Thanks for the quick reply!

Time to head to best buy and pick up a new sub!!

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
Okay, I looked at Best Buy's site. If it's the Insignia NS-HT51 speaker package, yes, it will work with your existing receiver. Probably will sound like your current RCA system, or maybe a tad better.

Although they have a JBL setup for $30 more with a somewhat more capable sub.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.