AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I bought a used floor LG OLED 55EA8800 tv.

It came with burn in in the upper left corner of the screen. What looks like a scoreboard, some zeroes and a wide line.

I have used different PC screensavers to try to remove or mitigate the burn in. 8 hours running. It seems the burn has diminished by a little bit, but it may be just placebo.

I have left the tv do the compensation procedure -LG logo turns on after powering the tv Off-.

Is there something I could try, to reduce or eliminate this burn in? Is there something a LG Technician can do about it? I don't care if I have to pay for a specific procedure.

Thank you.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Is there something I could try, to reduce or eliminate this burn in? Is there something a LG Technician can do about it? I don't care if I have to pay for a specific procedure.
Well yea, the LG tech could replace the panel, but without a warranty, that could be costly.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hello,

I bought a used floor LG OLED 55EA8800 tv.

It came with burn in in the upper left corner of the screen. What looks like a scoreboard, some zeroes and a wide line.

I have used different PC screensavers to try to remove or mitigate the burn in. 8 hours running. It seems the burn has diminished by a little bit, but it may be just placebo.

I have left the tv do the compensation procedure -LG logo turns on after powering the tv Off-.

Thank you.

I'm assuming you can't return it?
Like was mentioned, I'm surprised you bought it!

Was the burn in not easy to pick up when viewing it on display?

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Why would you buy a display model with burn in?
Had went through 3 defective ones. The EA8800 was no longer available in stores. I couldn't go back to LCD. If it weren't for the burn in I would be very happy with it, no tinting problem.

Well yea, the LG tech could replace the panel, but without a warranty, that could be costly.
The EA8800 has been discontinued AFAIK.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm assuming you can't return it?
Like was mentioned, I'm surprised you bought it!

Was the burn in not easy to pick up when viewing it on display?
Yeah, it wasn't easy to spot the burn in. I can mostly see it in uniform colors, like skies in movies, videogames etc. I find it distracting. I have tried not to lose hope that a newer firmware update, displaying videos for more hours or even massaging the screen could help reduce it a bit.

·
Vendor
28,698 Posts
Ya, 55EA8800 are basically gone forever and nothing like it coming out. If part of it went away I bet it is image retention which will go away. Run the set 24-7 and see how it is a week from now, then decide. Slap an extended warranty on in if it all works out and use the hell out of it ;) Plenty of warranties on the net for cheap $$$.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ya, 55EA8800 are basically gone forever and nothing like it coming out. If part of it went away I bet it is image retention which will go away. Run the set 24-7 and see how it is a week from now, then decide. Slap an extended warranty on in if it all works out and use the hell out of it ;) Plenty of warranties on the net for cheap $$$.
What I wouldn't do to make this an image retention instead of a perma burn in.

·
Registered
15,396 Posts
Had went through 3 defective ones. The EA8800 was no longer available in stores. I couldn't go back to LCD. If it weren't for the burn in I would be very happy with it, no tinting problem.
I hope you got a really good discount on it then. The others were more defective than this one?

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I hope you got a really good discount on it then. The others were more defective than this one?
Yeah, not considering the burn in. Two had big areas of pink/red tinting and the other one big areas of green tinting + big discoloration at the left side of the screen.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
After running the screensaver, have you let the TV sit off for an extended period of time, like overnight?
Nope. I have ran videos and screensavers for eight hours. Then, in the morning, I continue using the tv. I could try letting the tv rest after doing the eight hours screensaver session.

Past days I have just powered off the tv, without running the screensavers. Haven't noticed a difference. The affected area is like 5% of the screen size.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
And PLEASE report back when you do. One caution though, I wouldn't turn it on periodically just to see how it's "progressing". Leave it off for the duration.
I will report. I use the tv every day so I will have to find the right situation to try the 48 hours off experiment.

·
Registered
329 Posts
first generation OLED 9800 and 8800 are prone to burn in. your problem won't probably be fixed. I won't buy 9800 or 8800 even if it's new

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
first generation OLED 9800 and 8800 are prone to burn in. your problem won't probably be fixed. I won't buy 9800 or 8800 even if it's new
Based on my experience I don't agree. I have never even got image retention, and I play games full of huds for 5+ hours straight. Only heard of burn-in in store floor OLED televisions.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So uh, it's been a week... how's that report coming? :p
I installed the latest firmware version for my tv. It reduced the abl by a great margin, making the picture a lot more brighter than before. This has helped mask some of the burn in.

lol have pity on me. Imagine not using your tv or monitor for 48 hours haha

1 - 20 of 29 Posts