AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone use THX Boundary Gain Compression (BGC) and is this recommended?

I sit 4 1/2 feet from back walls and 6 feet from each side wall and wasn't sure if this would be recommended in this configuration.

What are the pros and cons?

·
Banned
3,571 Posts
THX boundary gain compensation applies a specific EQ filter that rolls off the bass to alleviate the over-exaggerated low end response that takes place when a subwoofer is placed close to a wall or a boundary.

Since you have placed your subwoofer away from the room boundaries it would not necessitate the use of this feature. It will consume amplifier power to flatten the response which also means that driver excursion will increase (or decrease depending on the EQ cut involved).

--Regards,

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
my subwoofer front faces back wall 5 inches and the side wall is 1 foot away. Will this make a difference?

·
Banned
5,125 Posts
I thought that sounded familiar, THX (BGC). (Boom) is a horrible sound to hear on a film soundtrack rather than a nice natural smooth response. Doesn’t it reduce the frequency around the 60Hz region?

Why a simple parametric EQ can do the same task. I keep the main sub bass for LFE.1 reproduction located beneath the TV with the centre channel placed above it.

http://www.thx.com/technologies/bgc.html

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Seems to fly directly in the face of the idea of a house curve. Are there any published specs of the shelving this applies? That's all it is.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I have an 805. There are settings for BGC which can be enabled only if you select that you have a "THX Subwoofer". WTH is a THX subwoofer and how does this affect what the AVR is doing (processing) to the signal?

·
Banned
3,571 Posts
A subwoofer that is THX-certified is sealed and has a target slope that matches a second-order roll-off below resonance (12 dB per octave).

Hope that helps.

Kind regards

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
The "C" in BGC is compensation, not compression.

Looking at it closer, it's just a shelving filter. It's too generalized to be even considered a valid feature for most rooms/subs. In general you need some rise in the low end to compensate for human hearing insensitivity in the low end (Fletcher/Munson curves). I have a sealed sub (IB) and even with room gain it doesn't need to be shelved down.

Sorry but this is just another dumb THX feature. I really like re-eq and the timbre matching/decorrelation features are usually helpful but this one falls somewhere in the dubious to useless section.

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
Man, my set-up thrives on boundary gain....

·
Registered
8,416 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by croseiv /forum/post/18178126

Man, my set-up thrives on boundary gain....

Whose doesn't? That's why a corner is always the first place to try a sub.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse S
The "C" in BGC is compensation, not compression.

Looking at it closer, it's just a shelving filter. It's too generalized to be even considered a valid feature for most rooms/subs. In general you need some rise in the low end to compensate for human hearing insensitivity in the low end (Fletcher/Munson curves). I have a sealed sub (IB) and even with room gain it doesn't need to be shelved down.

Sorry but this is just another dumb THX feature. I really like re-eq and the timbre matching/decorrelation features are usually helpful but this one falls somewhere in the dubious to useless section.
What exactly does Re-EQ do? I recently got a new Onkyo receiver (TX-NR708), upgrading from my HTiB HT-S6100 receiver, and I saw this feature. I tried it out and it made the sound just sound weird. What is its purpose? Dynamic EQ I always use though. Its brief description by Onkyo seems a little shaky but it seems to do the right thing. Maybe I need a word of advice on that too. One thing that does concern me about it though is that DTS 96/24 sound displays instead as regular DTS (16 bit) with it on...

Also, what receivers have timbre matching features? I didn't see any on mine. That would be really good for merging my Logitech Z-5500 speakers as the Front Wides and Highs for Audyssey DSX.

Finally, umm, I can take a guess but better to ask - what is decorrelation? Thanks.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I'm still not so clear on this functionality. It seems like it would actually do more harm than good. I don't have a THX subwoofer but from its general purpose, I don't see how that matters. I sit 10" from the back wall and 9.25' from the TV and fronts (which are against the front wall). Also, my two subwoofers are pretty much up against the wall (1-5" off). The approximate size of the room is 1,945 cubic feet. From the official brief description I read, it's recommended for 10' away from the screen in a room 2,000 square feet. That just about fits the bill but it probably less relevant. So anybody have any further ideas?

Also, is Loudness Plus worth to put on? It sounds to me like something that messes with the true nature of whatever possible mixture. It sounds to me like unbalanced added volume to surround speakers and dynamic compression which might work but, I just find the principle of that retarded. Is this something else? Thanks again!

·
Registered
4,394 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhoon859 /forum/post/19890341

I'm still not so clear on this functionality. It seems like it would actually do more harm than good. I don't have a THX subwoofer but from its general purpose, I don't see how that matters. I sit 10" from the back wall and 9.25' from the TV and fronts (which are against the front wall). Also, my two subwoofers are pretty much up against the wall (1-5" off). The approximate size of the room is 1,945 cubic feet. From the official brief description I read, it's recommended for 10' away from the screen in a room 2,000 square feet. That just about fits the bill but it probably less relevant. So anybody have any further ideas?

Also, is Loudness Plus worth to put on? It sounds to me like something that messes with the true nature of whatever possible mixture. It sounds to me like unbalanced added volume to surround speakers and dynamic compression which might work but, I just find the principle of that retarded. Is this something else? Thanks again!

You're sitting in the middle of the room? Seat should be 38% of the room length from the back wall. http://www.realtraps.com/art_room-setup.htm

·
Registered
483 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsoko2 /forum/post/19890898

You're sitting in the middle of the room? Seat should be 38% of the room length from the back wall. http://www.realtraps.com/art_room-setup.htm

That looks absolutely ridiculous, lol. Nobody that has a regular bedroom/living room or something would have such a layout because that takes up so much space - leaves little for other stuff. For a studio, yeah, maybe. Otherwise...

Anyway, where did you get that I sit in the middle of the room from? I wrote that I sit 10" from the back wall, lol.

·
Registered
4,394 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhoon859 /forum/post/19890952

That looks absolutely ridiculous, lol. Nobody that has a regular bedroom/living room or something would have such a layout because that takes up so much space - leaves little for other stuff. For a studio, yeah, maybe. Otherwise...

Anyway, where did you get that I sit in the middle of the room from? I wrote that I sit 10" from the back wall, lol.

Right, 10" is not 10'!

·
Banned
2,053 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBLsound4645 /forum/post/12894582

I thought that sounded familiar, THX (BGC). (Boom) is a horrible sound to hear on a film soundtrack rather than a nice natural smooth response. Doesn't it reduce the frequency around the 60Hz region?

Why a simple parametric EQ can do the same task. I keep the main sub bass for LFE.1 reproduction located beneath the TV with the centre channel placed above it.

http://www.thx.com/technologies/bgc.html

Now that's a hell of a sub. But I too have wondered about the use of Boundary Gain Compensation. And more recently I've been wondering if the loudness plus feature does anything at all?

·
Registered
7,802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamonddelts /forum/post/19893303

Now that's a hell of a sub.

Especially considering it's sitting under the new 2012 96" tube prototype display.

·
Registered
7,802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamonddelts /forum/post/19893526

No need to be mean bro.

It's just JBLsound's room. He went batty a long time ago.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts