AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got HD a few weeks ago and initially got DirecTV with a dish. I found out that the HD programming on local channels is not passed through either the satellite or cable, plus no UPN, so no Star-Trek Enterprise :mad: !! I have a Sony SAT-HD100 receiver and I went out and got a RS Bow-tie since it was recommended in some other posts here. I must not be doing something right because I get 0 in the Signal Strength Meter. Do I connect it to the VHF/UHF (DTV) or not (DTV)? When I go to the System / Antenna screen, then select Digital TV, it wants me to select a channel to select strength on. I tried several channels. I also tried going into the auto channel program and seeing if it came up with anything. Absolutely nothing. Shouldn't I at least see something other than 0 signal strength?

·
Registered
271 Posts
Perhaps you need to amplify your signal...

This is what I use with my double bow-tie:
http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...5Fid=15%2D1113

Quote:
Originally posted by sysadmin
I just got HD a few weeks ago and initially got DirecTV with a dish. I found out that the HD programming on local channels is not passed through either the satellite or cable, plus no UPN, so no Star-Trek Enterprise :mad: !! I have a Sony SAT-HD100 receiver and I went out and got a RS Bow-tie since it was recommended in some other posts here. I must not be doing something right because I get 0 in the Signal Strength Meter. Do I connect it to the VHF/UHF (DTV) or not (DTV)? When I go to the System / Antenna screen, then select Digital TV, it wants me to select a channel to select strength on. I tried several channels. I also tried going into the auto channel program and seeing if it came up with anything. Absolutely nothing. Shouldn't I at least see something other than 0 signal strength?

·
Registered
957 Posts
Captain, I think we need more antenna. Also UPN is not putting out a digital signal yet.

I would imagine you are going to require a much larger antenna from your location.

I am using a antennacraft MUYou are correct to be using a UHF only. (unless you want the VHF locals) I am using a Antennacraft MX-U59 and it works great. with my Mitsubishi SRHD5 all local digital stations are at 100% signal strength. The DTC-100 I pulled offline was in the mid 80s to 90s for all stations without having to adjust the rotor. I previously had used the largest Rat Shack UHF antenna and the signal strength was about 7 points across the board lower on the DTC-100 than the MX-U59. You can get Antennacraft and Channelmaster antennas at Pringle Electronics in Everett 425-258-6161 . They mainly deal with professional installers and they have anything you could dream of needing for your install. Great quality at a fair price.

http://www.starkelectronic.com/

they have mail order for Channelmaster.

Also check out

www.antennaweb.org

for lots of information.

another good source for information and a local channel guide is

www.titantv.com

Good luck.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I have a RS double bow tie antenna hooked up to my DTC-100 and I can get only 1 out of 5 stations that broadcast digital in my area. I bought the RS amp that I have seen recommended on this board but it didn't do anything. The signal from the one station I could get before went from around 80 down to 65 and all other four stations are still too week for my DTC to lock onto them.

-Marc

·
Registered
127 Posts
sysadmin:

This may be obvious, but make sure that your DTC-100 is set up to receive from an OTA signal, and not cable. I don't exactly remember where this selection is at, but try all the menus until you find it.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
For OTA, the "signal strength" meter DOESN'T, in fact, measure sgnal strength. It's an indication of signal quality, i.e., how well you're receiving the digital signal. In order to make that assessment, the receiver must be receiving the signal well enough to lock onto the carrier, at which point it can measure the bit error rate (which is what it's really measuring when it measures "signal strength").

A reading of 0 probably doesn't mean it's not receiving any signal, but instead means that the receiver can't lock onto the signal that's there. This is due either to too low a signal level, or more multipath than the receiver's design is capable of cancelling.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Opus74

Thanks for the Radio Shack link.

In Denver we have some low power HDTV broadcasters.

I get a digital channel indicator but no signal strength for the ABC and CBS. For Fox and PBS I can pick up the OTA feed quite strongly with just a RS bowtie antenna. I am debating about whether to install an outside antenna, but am going to try this amp first. Who knows it might work, and I will not have to "try" an outside antenna--which is much more expensive.

DL

·
Registered
80 Posts
sysadmin & MarcW,

I am one of the people who get great result with the RS double bow tie ant. But I don't own HD100 nor DTC100, my stb is Samsung T150, so this is just general suggestion.

1. How does your analog ota station(s) look like? Connect the ant. to your tv directly, then try it on your stb. If the two results are very different, then something's wrong with either the stb setting or the connection.

2. If the analog signal (from the same tower as the DTV signal) is very weak or has strong ghosts effect(multipath), then you probably need a pre-amp, or a more directional ant. or both.

3. Before you go out and buy those things, try move this ant. up, to the second floor or even the attic. It made quite a difference for me.

IMHO, no matter what result you get, try this RS double bow tie first is always a good idea: it's so cheap and locally available, and you can always return it if it doesn't work out.

Good Luck

Hal

·
Registered
200 Posts
I got the double bow tie and RS antenna amp.

The double bow tie did a better job on UHF than my current RS combo rabbit ears+. The amp actually degraded the signal and introduced more noise into the signal, even at the low end of amplification. I kept the bow tie, returned the amp!

I am still trying to figure out if I can even get the local low power HDTV denver channels with a roof top...

dL

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.