AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was in Best Buy's Magnolia room listening to Bowers and Wilkins 684 tower speakers. I was expecting a really good sound, but what I found was while this speaker had excellent mid range, it sounded very airy like because of it's mid range and lacked warmth. Why is this? I would of expected a good quality sound from such a speaker like this. The salesman said it was because it needed to be bi-amped, but I am not sure if that is true reason why. I also listened to the 686 bookshelf speakers and they had way better warmth, but the mid's were almost completely recessed. Shouldn't the 684 of had the best of both worlds?

·
Registered
7,480 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman777  /t/1523086/bowers-and-wilkins-684-tower-speakers-lacked-warmth-and-sounded-airy#post_24496907

I was in Best Buy's Magnolia room listening to Bowers and Wilkins 684 tower speakers. I was expecting a really good sound, but what I found was while this speaker had excellent mid range, it sounded very airy like because of it's mid range and lacked warmth. Why is this? I would of expected a good quality sound from such a speaker like this. The salesman said it was because it needed to be bi-amped, but I am not sure if that is true reason why. I also listened to the 686 bookshelf speakers and they had way better warmth, but the mid's were almost completely recessed. Shouldn't the 684 of had the best of both worlds?

The salesman is dead wrong. The issue is you don't like the sound of those speakers. The solution is not to buy them but buy some speakers you do like. I wouldn't spend any time worrying about it.

·
Banned
5,866 Posts
Biamping won't make a speaker you don't like the sound of, sound brilliant. But if can make the speaker you like, sound a tad better.

Sounds like you don't like the B&W sound. Or perhaps bad matching with source gear.

Try another brand of speakers.

·
Registered
7,063 Posts
You don't say what amplifier or receiver was driving it when you listened; it makes a big difference. What amp/receiver will you be using?

Bi-amping or bi-wiring will make a rather minor difference at best. The salesman is either an idiot or trying to blow smoke up your stack.

The 684 is known to be one of the worst designs B & W has; the 685 is a much better one, and the 683 is not too bad. Sounds like he may be trying to push the stuff no one wants.

PSB speakers are much better-sounding than B & W in general IMO and perhaps slightly less expensive.

The PSB Image T6 is one of the best speakers you can buy. Both Stereophile and The Absolute Sound picked it for Speaker of the Year and used it for Recommended System articles. You really should listen to them before you buy anything else. Saturday Audio has some discounts on them.

There are lots of PSB dealers all over the USA and Canada, and the PSB website has a dealer locator function.

Monitor Audio also makes very good speakers, such as the BX-5 and BX-2.

Don't bother with Klipsch or Infinity; they are very poor IMO.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts