167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The sub is a volfenhag 12. I want a ported box. Specs that came with it are

Fo - 28hz

Vas - 3.4cuft

Spl - 86db

Qts - 0.90

Xmax - 8mm

They reccomend a 1.5 cuft ported box which I guess should be bigger for a room. So how big should the port and box be? Thanks

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
You need more specs than that my friend. See if you cant call the manufacturer and get more of the T/S parameters.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Most of the drivers I've seen that are intended for ported boxes, have a Qts below .5 or so. With the specs you show, I would not use the driver in a ported box, and most likely would not consider using it at all. I suspect that a reasonable sealed box would be very large. Maybe 8 cu-ft. A 1.5 cu-ft box will be way too small for either sealed or ported.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Yup, high Qts, high Vas as well... It looks like an IB sub.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So should I put it in a sealed then? How big should that be? Also I tried it in a 2.5cuft ported box and it was really quiet. Stupid liqiudation sales. I shoulda got the audiopipe.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Why not just buy a driver thats better suited for home audio? I doubt you out too much $$ on that driver. What kind of budget are you looking at??

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I only got it because it seemed like the best one at the liquidation sale. I wanted to add it to my audio system that already has a type r. I spent $65 on it. Maybe ill just sell it on craigslist.

·
Registered
21,345 Posts
you have an inefficient driver with no linear excursion. worst of all worlds. i'd throw it out and buy something else. sorry if that isn't what you wanted to hear.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts