AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

As the title indicates, I am looking for some help on deciding between the Boxee Box and the Squeezebox touch. Primary use is for music, mainly FLAC files. Have a PS3, so video playback is not so important.

However, I need the device to handle majority of the audio formats out there, and do a good job of playing them. Playlist support is a must have as is streaming. Must have a nice remote interface which I can control with an Android phone or a web browser. Willing to spend upto price of the Squeezebox touch.

Recommendations anyone?

·
Registered
20,922 Posts
Right now I dont believe the Boxee Box supports Playlists.

Since all you want is music I suggest one of the WDTV options as I believe they will fit both needs as well as save you money.

·
Banned
27 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te
Right now I dont believe the Boxee Box supports Playlists.

Since all you want is music I suggest one of the WDTV options as I believe they will fit both needs as well as save you money.
Your reply piqued my interest and I fired up my BB and tried a Winamp generated playlist and it worked. The quality of the playback sounded excellent. I accessed the playlist just using the files browser. I also tried individual flac MP3 and APE files and all of them played well. For this limited test the Boxee Box did okay. I don't care much for the visualization graphics that display when music is being played but that's another matter.

·
Registered
11,822 Posts
If all you care about is music I would go with the Logitech for a few reasons:

- No need to turn on the tv to operate (Boxee Box you will)

- The Logitech products are something you can build off of and expand (multiple players, zones, etc...)

The Boxee Box only makes sense if you are also interested in the video side of things as well, but you mentioned that was not important

·
Registered
11,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026

- The Logitech products are something you can build off of and expand (multiple players, zones, etc...)

The Boxee Box only makes sense if you are also interested in the video side of things as well, but you mentioned that was not important
I +1 Damian, and it's the reason I said the BB and SBT aren't even an apples to apples comparison. IMO, for audio-only streaming...you have the SB and Sonos at the top of the heap, ATV closely behind...and all the AV streamers a distant third.

If you don't care about the SB Touch's price, and you don't care about video...get it.

CD

·
Banned
121 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybrow /forum/post/19528081

Your reply piqued my interest and I fired up my BB and tried a Winamp generated playlist and it worked. The quality of the playback sounded excellent. I accessed the playlist just using the files browser. I also tried individual flac MP3 and APE files and all of them played well. For this limited test the Boxee Box did okay. I don't care much for the visualization graphics that display when music is being played but that's another matter.

so you are recommending the boxee for music?

·
Banned
27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olink /forum/post/19530859

so you are recommending the boxee for music?

No. I was merely pointing out that it in my limited testing it could handle M3u playlists. How it stacks up against other media players as defined by the fullerms' requirements was the original question and one I am not qualified to answer.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 /forum/post/19528387

Thank you for that. How about quality of the playback? I will be connecting the player to a Denon 1610 receiver with a pair of B&W 685's. Which of these players will be 'nuetral' sounding?

I will be initially playing music off a USB hard disk, will invest in a NAS later. Does the logitech handle that kind of setup well? Any other known issues with the Logitech Squeezeboxes?

·
Registered
1,050 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullerms /forum/post/19532198

Thank you for that. How about quality of the playback? I will be connecting the player to a Denon 1610 receiver with a pair of B&W 685's. Which of these players will be 'nuetral' sounding?

I will be initially playing music off a USB hard disk, will invest in a NAS later. Does the logitech handle that kind of setup well? Any other known issues with the Logitech Squeezeboxes?

You should just order the Touch on the 30 day trial. If it doesn't work for you just send it back. The Touch sometimes has problems with large libraries. The CPU and memory is limited and scans can take a long time. Your USB drive should be self-powered - it should not draw power from the USB connection. The Touch provides both digital and analog outputs so you can decide which sounds better to you. If you can cable the device to your router you'll eliminate 90% of the problems that new users experience, wireless might require a little more technical savy but it can work well. Once you begin to discover the seamless interface with all of the music options that are available for free, you will wonder why you waited so long!

Edit: I should add that I don't have a Touch but I use a Logitech Transporter and a SB Boom. I did install a Touch about six weeks ago for a friend that had no local music but wanted Rhapsody, Pandora, etc. Once she became familiar with the interface and organized her favorites she was good to go. The Touch is cabled to the router and she hasn't had any problems except for Rhapsody, but everyone is living with Rhapsody issues right now. So make a decision and enjoy!

·
Registered
4,276 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullerms /forum/post/19532198

They are both neutral sounding. Boxee box up and down samples all audio to 48Khz. ThaT is a problem. I can't see how anyone could recommend boxee as a music player in the same breath as logitech or sonos or even XBMC. They are light years apart in features and functionality.

Sean

·
Registered
4,276 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybrow /forum/post/19531413

No. I was merely pointing out that it in my limited testing it could handle M3u playlists. How it stacks up against other media players as defined by the fullerms' requirements was the original question and one I am not qualified to answer.

handles an m3 created on a PC. There is no way to create or manipulate playlists on the box itself. All the cool music player functionality that its XBMC roots contained has been removed. its quite sad how they could turn one of the worlds best music players into something that is not even mediocre by todays standards.

Sean

1 - 15 of 15 Posts