AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new here and I am finding LOTS of info here. I do have a few questions though. I am thinking of getting either Google tv or boxee. I use my 360 now to stream media to my tv. My questions are:

1. Do I need one of these if I use my 360?

2. Can either one of them stream of a drobo(my next toy) or a freenas setup?

I am leaning toward boxee....

Thank you for your help....

·
Registered
567 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugewhite /forum/post/19529027

I'm new here and I am finding LOTS of info here. I do have a few questions though. I am thinking of getting either Google tv or boxee. I use my 360 now to stream media to my tv. My questions are:

1. Do I need one of these if I use my 360?

2. Can either one of them stream of a drobo(my next toy) or a freenas setup?

I am leaning toward boxee....

Thank you for your help....

stick with your XBOX 360 - I have the Boxee Box for a week now and it shows a lot of promise, but local media streaming still needs some work... The Boxee software is different than what it is on a PC... maybe a future firmware update will fix some of the issues - imo it is still in its Alpha phase... when they do fix some of the issues and some of the marketed features work - jump on it...

·
Registered
367 Posts
I mostly agree with sgvroadster - only because I can see the issues mentioned on the Boxee forum - but both of my Boxee Boxes are almost issue free - one was allowed to update to the v1 software (and the new updated v1 released on 11-25-10) and the other one was forced to remain on the v0.9 that comes with a new BBox

The BBox I use most often is the v1 model - but either one sees all of the many Tbs of mostly BD MKVs, DVD MKVs and ISOs, both DVD and BD - the media content/containers are spread out all over my network on USB HDDs and/or an HP Windows Home Server - but I do have to say there are 'a few' stuttering issues on some BD content coming from the networked HDDs - but most all streams from the WHS are issue free including most BD ISOs, which stands to reason, it is a 'Server' and seems to do it better than content from a USB HDD

The v1 UI is definately different from the Boxee v0.9 App - which was a surprise - but there are ways to keep the Box on v0.9 or downgrade to it, if desired

NetFlix will have it's own Boxee App by the end of the year and Hulu Plus is coming too

There seems to be an issue with 'Fancast' content - but there are other sources to get most of the same content -- and the NAVI-X repository/app is totally loaded with content, including 'new' movies

All in all - if someone could get a BBox that performs as well as mine do - I would say go for it right now - I haven't had any major issues with both of mine

And btw - I also had a Revue/GTV box (For about one day) - I literally thought about RMA'ing it after about a couple hours of use after the initial set up - I requested an RMA and tossed it on a UPS truck shortly after - because of its' lack of functionality I wanted/needed, it was basically a $300 Dish Network tv guide/search engine - If you want to know more about GTV - read the Logitech forum's Revue Thread and/or the Official Google TV thread here on AVS

·
Registered
567 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmd024 /forum/post/19567982

I mostly agree with sgvroadster - only because I can see the issues mentioned on the Boxee forum - but both of my Boxee Boxes are almost issue free - one was allowed to update to the v1 software (and the new updated v1 released on 11-25-10) and the other one was forced to remain on the v0.9 that comes with a new BBox

The BBox I use most often is the v1 model - but either one sees all of the many Tbs of mostly BD MKVs, DVD MKVs and ISOs, both DVD and BD - the media content/containers are spread out all over my network on USB HDDs and/or an HP Windows Home Server - but I do have to say there are 'a few' stuttering issues on some BD content coming from the networked HDDs - but most all streams from the WHS are issue free including most BD ISOs, which stands to reason, it is a 'Server' and seems to do it better than content from a USB HDD

The v1 UI is definately different from the Boxee v0.9 App - which was a surprise - but there are ways to keep the Box on v0.9 or downgrade to it, if desired

NetFlix will have it's own Boxee App by the end of the year and Hulu Plus is coming too

There seems to be an issue with 'Fancast' content - but there are other sources to get most of the same content -- and the NAVI-X repository/app is totally loaded with content, including 'new' movies

All in all - if someone could get a BBox that performs as well as mine do - I would say go for it right now - I haven't had any major issues with both of mine

And btw - I also had a Revue/GTV box (For about one day) - I literally thought about RMA'ing it after about a couple hours of use after the initial set up - I requested an RMA and tossed it on a UPS truck shortly after - because of its' lack of functionality I wanted/needed, it was basically a $300 Dish Network tv guide/search engine - If you want to know more about GTV - read the Logitech forum's Revue Thread and/or the Official Google TV thread here on AVS

Wow... good to know... my friend is expecting his Logitech Revue in the next few days... we shall see for our selves...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.