AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Boxee TV has partnered with retail giant Walmart to help get their streaming box goodness out to the masses. Bloomberg reports Walmart will put Boxee TV in more than 3,000 Walmart locations just in time for holidays.

Quote:
Starting tomorrow, the world’s biggest retailer will exclusively sell the new $98 product, called Boxee TV, in more than 3,000 U.S. locations during the holiday season. Wal-Mart will set up displays and send out marketing materials for the device, a small black box with a remote control that can access free TV broadcast channels as well as Internet content.

Boxee's chief executive officer, Avner Ronen shares:
Quote:
“It’s going to be a big launch for us. “There’s a big difference between having your product being carried by retailers, where it sits on the shelf, and getting real marketing behind it.”

This is great news for the start-up and it should make Apple and Roku rather nervous. Do you think Boxee has a fair chance now?

·
Registered
270 Posts
Well anything that gives cable more competition is a good thing in my mind.

·
Registered
20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcaico  /t/1436638/boxee-tv-ready-to-challenge-apple-and-roku#post_22545215

Well anything that gives cable more competition is a good thing in my mind.

True. Lets hope that we don't see more lobbying action like SOPA/PIPA in response to more people streaming. The LAST thing we need is ISP's with legal ability to throttle traffic they don't like/make money from.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well... Thank goodness for the Walmart return policy. After having to wait until 1201 local time to pick one of these up, what a let down. I will be returning it in the morning first thing.

Boxee TV booted up and I was forced to install the new update before I could do anything, which then crashed twice during the install process.

Finally after getting the update installed the tuner missed half of the channels I receive here locally with my hdhomerun and also the tuner built into my main tv.

I was really hoping for something to use on an older tv I have without a built in OTA tuner. This is not worth even half of the retail price...

·
Registered
8,376 Posts
Apple won't care, and over at Roku they are laughing. Walmart doen't have the demo to make this work, they would have better luck over at Costco. This box seemed destined for the same fate as 1st gen Google TV.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I'm sorry Boxee but you are not seeing another dollar from me.

First you abandon your PC platform, then you abandon the Boxee box after failing to fix even the most basic bugs, now you are pushing a cloud-based PVR via Wal-Mart?

You have alienated a (previously) fiercely loyal user-base of early adopters and are throwing in with the folks from Bentonville in order to save your bottom line? When you fail it wont be nearly soon enough.

·
Registered
8,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus33  /t/1436638/boxee-tv-ready-to-challenge-apple-and-roku#post_22553191

I'm sorry Boxee but you are not seeing another dollar from me.

First you abandon your PC platform, then you abandon the Boxee box after failing to fix even the most basic bugs, now you are pushing a cloud-based PVR via Wal-Mart?

You have alienated a (previously) fiercely loyal user-base of early adopters and are throwing in with the folks from Bentonville in order to save your bottom line? When you fail it wont be nearly soon enough.

I don't hope for failure, but I do hope they wise up to the niche they used to serve.

·
UHD Addict
38,665 Posts
It allows you to record TV(currently only OTA, QAM you can only watch live) from two tuners and it is stored in the cloud. Plus it has several apps like Pandora, Netflix, etc.It's still considered in beta. Mine is recording 10 to 15 hours of content daily. But I only watch a small fraction of that since I use my TiVos for most of my TV watching.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt  /t/1436638/boxee-tv-ready-to-challenge-apple-and-roku#post_22731792

It allows you to record TV(currently only OTA, QAM you can only watch live) from two tuners and it is stored in the cloud. Plus it has several apps like Pandora, Netflix, etc.It's still considered in beta. Mine is recording 10 to 15 hours of content daily. But I only watch a small fraction of that since I use my TiVos for most of my TV watching.

Funny....I didnt see any great big sign on the display of these at Wal Mart warning customers that these are still considered 'in beta'.

Nice little surprise for buyers, but I guess par for the course for Boxee looking at their past business model.

·
UHD Addict
38,665 Posts
It's the DVR portion that is considered in beta. I got my unit for free. It does work and do what they say, but there are certainly a bunch of things that need to be improved. The Apps they have work well. But there are not alot of them. I've been using the Netflix and Pandora apps on the BoxeeTV. I prefer those two apps over my Roku2 apps.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts