AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered the Boxlight today! I can't wait until it gets here. They say they have it in stock, we'll see.

Now I have to start the painting of the screen area (and the rest of the room to keep the wife happy).

I am know looking for a receiver and speakers, have about 700 to spend. Any ideas for a good starter system?

Its getting close to movie night:D

·
Registered
304 Posts
My humble opinion is to spend 3-4hundred on a nice 7.1 amp from Best Buy, and use the rest toward a sub. I'm shocked at how inexpensive these amps have become as of late. If I wasn't so attached to my 5.1 DTS amp, i'd upgrade.... oh and if I had the cash too.... :)

We did the whole paint the room thing too when we installed mine. Turned out purty cool... it's a pain in the butt, but well worth it.

(Oh and you'll love the projector. I have a 1HD, and it's been flawless so far. No dead pixels, perfect operation.)

-jason W

·
Registered
59 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Rick Guynn
I really hope you didn't order it from ProjectorShopper.

RG
I had no problem with ProjectorShopper. I knew I wouldn't get the projector in record time, since the chief complaint against PS was delivery time. But the price was great, I got my projector as promised, and the whole process was only around 9 days from order to the day it was delivered.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Well time to go look at the audio section....

I was in your boat about 4 months ago. I bought a Kenwood vr-7070 for $350 online (after seeing it at best buy). I am using it with several speakers I previously had after adding a JBL PB10 sub.

You are going to get lots of good advice on how to spend $700, but here is mine.

For your $, I'd consider a pair of JBL S38s for about $250, an S-Center, and a pair of S26s for surrounds along with the 7070. You will want to go back and add a Sub and probably a rear speaker later, but this would be a very nice start. In my opinion the JBL S series is well worth the extra $ over the N.

·
Registered
971 Posts
I did some research on ProjectorShopper as I was considering purchasing from them. I would say the number of 'satisfied' customers is in the vast minority from what I read. Anyway, sorry to turn this into Consumer Reports....

RG

·
Registered
59 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Rick Guynn
I did some research on ProjectorShopper as I was considering purchasing from them. I would say the number of 'satisfied' customers is in the vast minority from what I read. Anyway, sorry to turn this into Consumer Reports....

RG
I did the same research prior to making my purchase. It seemed the vast majority of unsatisfied customers was due to two factors:

1 They didn't get the projector as quickly as they'd like.

2 Andy didn't do a good enough job keeping people up to date on the process.

So I went in expecting to get a very good price, but knowing it would probably be close to two weeks until I got the projector and that Andy would be hard to get in touch with during the process. Since I hadn't heard a single report of him actually failing to deliver I didn't worry about either of those two factors. I got my projector in 9 days for the price I was quoted, so I'm a very happy customer. In addition, I made my own screen and asked Andy if I could use the screen price (the screen is usually included with the projector) as a credit towards the purchase of a ProntoNEO remote, so I got the remote for only 50 dollars. All in all it was a very pleasant experience for me and I couldn't be happier with my 1HD.

·
Registered
971 Posts
That was pretty much the same thing I came away with. Most of the people unhappy with the speed aspect were reportedly told (or given the impression) the projector was in their warehouse when in fact it was being drop-shipped. Also people were upset by the fact that Andy was quick to answer e-mails prior to the sale, but extremely difficult to get ahold of after the sale. One other complaint was being flat-out lied to about ship dates. It just strikes me that ProjectorShopper doesn't run a very smooth operation. It seems that you eventually get your goods (which I guess is the ultimately important aspect) you just may not get it quickly or even when they tell you you will. Personally, I will pay a surcharge for good communication, service, and honesty.

RG

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I did order it from projectorshopper, but I knew before hand that it would probably NOT ship right away. I am in no rush since I am actively painting and waiting for the floor to arrive.

I saved some money going with projectionshopper. I received an invoice via e-mail (I know this does not mean too much of anything).

I have bumped up the amount for the receiver/speakers and DVD to 1000.00 (wife does not know). I have a bid on e-bay for a Harmon Kardon 330 and looking at the speakers they have on there too.

Thanks for the suggestions on the components, I will check everything out.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JimKosinski
I did order it from projectorshopper, but I knew before hand that it would probably NOT ship right away. I am in no rush since I am actively painting and waiting for the floor to arrive.

I saved some money going with projectionshopper. I received an invoice via e-mail (I know this does not mean too much of anything).

I have bumped up the amount for the receiver/speakers and DVD to 1000.00 (wife does not know). I have a bid on e-bay for a Harmon Kardon 330 and looking at the speakers they have on there too.

Thanks for the suggestions on the components, I will check everything out.
I was in pretty much the same situation, I understood that the projector likely wouldn't ship right away and it was worth a few extra days for the money. I'm very happy with my purchase from PS. It's a great projector, and for the money I couldn't be happier.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.