AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering adding a projector to my home theater... my 27" Sony Wega just isn't doing it for me anymore. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Anyway my maximum upper limit is $3500 for everything (projector, screen, and any accessories I need), and I'd like to keep it lower than that if I can. I was looking at the Boxlight CD455m, which I can get for $2650. I know that this is the same model as the Infocus LP340, and I've read all the reviews I can find and articles here on various projectors, and this DLP looks right for me. I considered a RPTV, but knowing that I'll certainly be moving much in the next few years makes this impossible.

So I'm interested in filling out the rest of that budget with whatever is necessary. I have a DVD player (Panasonic RV30). My viewing distance will be from 8-10 feet away. I was thinking about going with a screen between 50 and 60 inches wide. Does that size sound good for the viewing distance?

I have an air conditioner behind where the screen will be, so I want to mount it a few inches from the wall. I suppose this means I need a ceiling mount. I'd like to be able to roll and unroll it when I want as well. What screen works best with this projector in my budget? Keep in mind the cheaper the better but not if there is a significant drop in picture quality.

In addition to a screen, what else do I need to get the best results? Any other projectors I should consider that offer a better performance in this price range? I suppose I should add that I can make this room completely dark for viewing if desired. In addition I will be using a smaller TV for most cable TV viewing. I've heard that there is a great deal of light spillage around the outside of the projection, so I'd like to take steps to control that.

Thanks in advance for any help here.

[This message has been edited by James_T (edited 06-25-2001).]

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
One more question... I suppose there would be some rare occations I'd like to view cable TV through the projector... how would I hook this up (does it have a jack for a cable TV connection?) and would the picture be acceptable?

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
I'd take a close look at the NEC LT85. You can get new ones for about $2500 new. It will have better blacks than the Infocus, but you will need an external scaler or progressive DVD player.

I guess it depends on your priorities. To me blacks are number one.

Oh, and just hook up your cable via the S-Video input.

Steve

------------------
Steve's Stuff

[This message has been edited by Steve Dodds (edited 06-25-2001).]

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Steve:

Thanks for the reply... I'll take a look at that projector as well. I'm a little confused though about the cable TV hookup... the only cable I have coming into my home is of the single pin variety (can't remember what it is called)... as in an ordinary cable TV hookup (not S-video).

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Most people run a cable from the cable box to their receiver or prepro, and a cable from the DVD player to the receiver or prepro and then use that to switch between sources. They then run just one cable out to the projector.

Steve

------------------
Steve's Stuff

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Unfortunately I don't have a cable box... is there any sort of switcher that will allow me to plug in my cable (single-pin variety) and then output with an S-Video cable? I suppose even a composite output would do.

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
That is probably an RF signal; the connector is called an F connector. You need to plug it into a tuner (e.g., a VCR, an STB), and then feed the output of the tuner into the projector.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have the CD-455m, and I think it looks great for the money. As for the Cable signal, I am using my VCR as a tuner, and an external Composite to S-Video adapter to the projector. They actually sell them at radio shack for about $20.00. I know you could find a better quality one, but I was in a hurry to get mine hooked up.

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
JonCusack,

You are probably better off to use the composite->S-video in the projector. Y/C separation, as it is called, is an art, and you often have to try various connections of components to get the best results.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks, guys. Now it makes a bit more sense to me, though I'm still not completely clear.

So I plug in the RF cable signal to my VCR, and then use the composite output on my VCR. Why do I need to use a composite->S-video converter before I feed this to the projector? Does this enhance the video or something? Why not just plug in the composite cable directly to the projector?

Can anybody answer my other questions above as well? I'm particularly interested in the screen size issue vs viewing distance, especially with respect to what type of screen I should purchase. The folks over at Studioexperience.com were willing to put together a package desl for a projector, screen, and accessories, but I'm just not sure what to get other than the projector.

·
Registered
578 Posts
James,

Just use your VCR (or TIVO if you have one) as a tuner. Plug the RF into your VCR and use the coaxial video output and run a line to your projector. At this point, you can use a S-Video converter to plug that line into your S-Video port on your CD-455M. If not, just plug the coaxial line directly into the coaxial video input of your projector. I couldn't tell the difference either way. I think it has to do with the fact that my VCR/Tuner outputs only a composite signal anyway and not an S-Video. I don't think upconverting the signal from composite to s-video makes a difference. I think it matters only if the tuner outputs an s-video source to begin with. You can't get the higher resolution 400 lines of s-video from a composite signal anyway.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.