AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm moving to IN this week and my NEC LT150 is packed up. I sure do miss it. I had to downgrade to my mom's Sony VPL-CX1 (my first digital PJ) using Svideo interlaced Harry Potter DVD. It's XGA LCD, 100:1 CR, 550 lumens. It had bad dead pixels (5-6 in 16:9 area with one blue one which was very noticeable) and was repaired by Sony (took 1 month) after my begging. They also sent me a loaner after my harrassment after 2 wks of PJ withdrawal. I was very happy with it then (ignorant is blissed), but there is NO way I could live with it now even with near-perfect panels (still 2 or 3 green dead pixels but not noticeable--developed since the repair as it was perfect then when I scrutinized it before returning the loaner).

Frankly I don't see how people put up with these dim LCDs. I'm sure the newer LCDs are better but still behind DLP, IMHO, provided you don't suffer from DLP's headaches, eyestrain, and rainbows (I don't). My Sony's black is light gray. Screendoor (even with XGA panels) is very noticeable up to 2x screenwidth (I have 20/30 vision with corrective glasses). It's like watching a movie through a ............. screendoor :D. Colors are dull (550 lumens). Dark details s*cks (can't see details of a black jacket or clothing or during a dark scene) even in pitch dark room. Part of the problem is my mom is using a unity Bretford screen (70"X70" and viewing is at 140"). Higher gain screen may help colors but would worsen contrast and blacks. Heat and Noise-wise both are equal. Dead pixels continued to crop up over time which would drive me crazy especially with 3 colors to choose from. Svideo video processing is better by Sony--no doubt. LT150 needs interlaced

Bottom line: If you tolerate DLP's, it's tough going back to LCD especially a cheaper model (same price as my LT150 at $2K when I bought CX1). It really make me appreciate my LT150.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I have been projector less for almost 2 weeks now for the same reason. I will be glad when the move is over with this weekend. Unfortunatly my projector is the VPL-CX1. For the last few weeks I have been looking at the HP XB31 thinking how nice it would be to put into what will be my new dedicated room. The CX1 is going to have to do for a little while longer but will be replaced as soon as I can. I need a ceiling mounted projector for the room I will be using as the rough size is only 12x9. I hope to have everything up and running within 2 to 4 weeks so that I can get back to watching movies. Good luck with your move

David

·
Registered
280 Posts
Huey:

I owned the Sony 400Q, back in the days of 150:1 contrast ratios on LCD's. It was still a wonderful projector as long as you expected no shadow detail, period. But the Sanyo XP21N is another matter. You've seen a lot of projectors. Two pieces of bread and your LT150 would make a nice sandwich for the contrasty, super-dazzling Sand-yo. :)

Mike

P.S. Just kiddin' with ya. The LT150 remains the under-$4K mini-miracle of projectors. I have kicked myself a hundred times for sending mine back, but I wasn't sure I could get over the eye-strain syndrome.

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Not to knock the LT-150 DLP (as I was considering one myself at one time), but I've had a forum member consider selling his after seeing the Panny 75u LCD in action. Comparing Halos, Light Splatter, Motion artifacts, Rainbows, No zoom and high fan noise, I can tolerate a bit of screendoor. But the thing is, I don't even have to tolerate it on the 75u with MLA as at about 1.75x, it's gone for me. With no filters, no defocusing and showing on a bedsheet :)

PS:

Huey,

What part of Indiana? My wife is from Indiana and we travel back on occassion to visit family.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Huey,

I hope you get moved and are able to use your LT150 again soon. We need you to keep up those tips on mods, cleaning (...direct hose while wife pumps..), cables, video cards, screens, etc., etc., etc. :D

Randy D

·
Registered
6,339 Posts
I can't understand how people can tolerate entry level dlps with the horrible rainbows and artifacts that occur every 20 seconds. But hey, that's just me.

I am sure the upper end dlps look nice.

·
Registered
288 Posts
rlindo - is that a troll posting or are you actually displaying your ignorance to the user community here? Considering you have posts in the double digits to your credit, i will have to assume the former.

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
New Albany, IN across from Louisville, KY.

I was not knocking the newer LCDs only the older ones. I loved the CX1 while I was new at FPTV. Now I can't stand it. I'm sure I'd be happy with the newer LCDs like the Sanyo PLV-70--not seen it just heard about it. Screendoor should not bother me when it's wide-XGA and superbright. Newer LCD has much better contrast than the older ones. Heck for $2K the LT150 is a great PJ if you don't suffer rainbows. Even the newer DLPs can cause rainbows on some people. Thus, rlindo will have to put up with LCD :D

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
As a matter of fact Ill put my W400Q agains any LT150 side by side (as I did before buying)...then again the W400 is a different LCD projector since it has no screendoor problem and with a little tweak contrast is greatly improved as is black level (still far from CRT but what can you do). Being native 16:9 works wonder too...all in all way ahead of its time. Its one more prove that each person is a world within itself. Ill probably move to DLP next but for the time being I can take rainbows...or the pricer models :)

Regards

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
16:9 panels definitely helps LCD due to ridding the black (grey) letterbox bars. This make contrast to appear much better than it actually is due to less reflected light from the gray bars. That's why I'll accept a 16:9 Wide-XGA LCD if it wasn't so darn expensive :D

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Huey - you're not using masking? Because if you are that should effectively negate any benefit 16:9 projectors have over 4:3 if the effective resolution is the same. 4:3 XGA projectors should actually have a slight edge over WVGA (848x480) due to higher resolution (1024x576 for 16:9 images).

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Huey,

Sorry to hear that your living w/out your LT150 these days.

I was hoping I was going to be able to catch you on the forum and ask your opinion about a new DaLite screen I am considering to use with my LT150. I have been using the glossy Tileboard from HD you recommended and love the picture compared to the JoAnns blackout fabric. I guess it is due to the gain of the glossy tileboard. The natural Blackout fabric was too dark and not vibrant IMO.

I need to set up something up in the living room and then take it down and store it away after the movie. I was thinking a tripod screen but it seems that I would have to go with the more expensive Picture King model to get VideoSpectra or HiPower. The ModelB I believe is less expensive. But the problem with the pulldown is that I have high sloped/angled ceilings that don't make it practical especially with WAF. I read that it is possible to floor mount and pull the screen up. I can't screw anything into wood floors either but I'm sure you have probably thought of something that would work though and not be permanent...

On the Video Spectra vs the HiPower. I noticed that you are now using the Video Spectra. Did you have the opportunity to compare the two? I am afraid that the Video Spectra may not be as bright( or as good in my mind) as the tile board due to possibly lower gain. I plan to table top mount so I won't lose much of the gain with the hipower in the center. Probably will lose brightness for seating positions at the ends of my two couches though (wide viewing area).

Also, have you done any mods/tweaks to your LT150?

Thanks

Gil

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Huey,

I sent you a PM. Your old email adr doesn't seem to work.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.