AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got an Asus 4x BR reader in my htpc and it hangs on ~2/3's of the discs I feed it (BR worse than DVD). Typically, one scene will be bad and lock up the player. Skip past that one scene before you get to it and you're good.

Most of my media is either Netflix or public library and of course have more wear and tear than the babied discs in my own library. Still, I didn't have this issue with my old Oppo (DVD) player before I went BR/HTPC.

I've used PowerDVD9 and TMT5 and they both act the same way. I installed AnyDVDHD as well since it seems TMT was perhaps a patch behind for at least 2 BR's I rented and I got the red DRM screen (which Anydvd corrected).

For the most recent problem disc, Anydvd 'burning to HDD' would halt repeatedly at 10% and report bad sectors.

So, am I just unlucky and am getting bad media or is the reader bad? Would another brand increase my chances of trouble free use?

(other details: Win7 64, AMD 350 Zacate, most recent cats)

·
Registered
243 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruiner /forum/post/20823278

I've got an Asus 4x BR reader in my htpc and it hangs on ~2/3's of the discs I feed it (BR worse than DVD). Typically, one scene will be bad and lock up the player. Skip past that one scene before you get to it and you're good.

Most of my media is either Netflix or public library and of course have more wear and tear than the babied discs in my own library. Still, I didn't have this issue with my old Oppo (DVD) player before I went BR/HTPC.

I've used PowerDVD9 and TMT5 and they both act the same way. I installed AnyDVDHD as well since it seems TMT was perhaps a patch behind for at least 2 BR's I rented and I got the red DRM screen (which Anydvd corrected).

For the most recent problem disc, Anydvd 'burning to HDD' would halt repeatedly at 10% and report bad sectors.

So, am I just unlucky and am getting bad media or is the reader bad? Would another brand increase my chances of trouble free use?

(other details: Win7 64, AMD 350 Zacate, most recent cats)

Probably bad media. Look carefully at the surface.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
I started having a lot of problems reading BDs I'd get from Netflix, it was getting to be nearly 50% of them would be "bad". Finally bit the bullet and replaced my 3 year old BD drive with a new one, no more problems.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Do you remember which BD movies? I have an earlier Lite-On 4x model, the one with no CD/DVD write capabilities. Universal recently started releasing these double-sides DVD/BD releases. They are essentially sandwiching 4-layers onto a single disc. My 4x reader always chokes on those, but my new Lite-On burner has no problems reading them.

Don't forget to update AnyDVD HD frequently. New protections often act like there's a read error.

If it's from the library, I wouldn't be surprised if you got at least a few overly scratched discs.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruiner
It is a new unit but an old model. Perhaps a more recent 12x unit would work better.
I'm going to take a guess that higher speed drives will encounter less read errors since their lasers are probably stronger, and I would think they would have to be more fault tolerant to read at a higher rate.

That drive is probably the one I got, just rebranded. ASUS did that a lot for the Lite-On drives. But even still, 2/3 is way higher than what I saw.

There is one benefit to my older 4x drive. If I get a marginal disc, the 4x drive will catch it where my 8x Lite-On burner may not. Minus those 2 double sided discs, none of the replacements I've ever received exhibited the same read failure as the discs they replaced.

What version of AnyDVD HD are you running? An aspect of being a "Sly Fox" is to always be one step ahead of DRM by means of very frequent updates (and I'm not counting beta releases either). So even if you are slightly behind, I'd suggest you start with upgrading AnyDVD HD. Also, while I'm not saying you are doing this, cracked, non-legit versions of AnyDVD HD have been known to be problem prone.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The surface scratches I'm seeing on the Netflix BRs are pretty light, and for the most part radial. No cracks as shown in that article.

I'm on the current official Anydvd release 6.8.5.0....wasn't aware of any other channel.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Most of the time when I have problems w/ a Netflix BD it isn't due to scratches on the read side of the disc but from the label side getting cracked from the mail sorting machines in some locations, it's hard to even see them at times as they're small/minor cracks(at times can only be seen from read side when looking at the laser surface not the disc surface).

Aside form bad DBs I did come across needing a firmware update once or twice on my BD/HD DVD combo drive, since your new DB ROM is a new older model it may just need a firmware update.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemyram4x4 /forum/post/20838553

since your new DB ROM is a new older model it may just need a firmware update.

Grabbed that the day I installed, but a fairly old release date (2/2010) by PC component standards. Orphaned perhaps?

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
My experience is that the read write drive deteriorate over time, (although usually not two months.)

I have a PS3. Lately, when a disk does not play on the computer I play it with the PS3. Disks usually play in the PS3 but mine does not bitstream audio. If the disk does not play in either I conclude the disk is corrupted. Lately disks have been not playing or locking up more in more in the computer.

I would say RMA or replace the read write drive and get new features and more speed.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.