Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greeting all DTC100 owners,

I am a newbee on this subject and I have some good news to share with you. Do not interrupt by any means (Power,DTV Signal, OTA switching) while DTC100 is instructed for an Unscheduled/Scheduled firmware update. This process can take as long as 2-3 hours (it depends how busy of your unit at the update time - some firmware instruction may be acquired by your command before the update-taking place). Do not soft/hard reboot the unit while the HD light is "ON". Be patient and wait the HD light went "OFF" before taking any action. This to prevent the DTC100 brain damage that has been discussed in this forum.

------------------

DHBEE

·
Registered
918 Posts
A well implemented FLASH routine should leave NO WINDOW for this kind of error. Mind you this is tough to do with some h/w systems. Even a small window of error with numerous units in the field will leave you with dead boxes. You may note that cable set top boxes also update themselves. The set top box makers check this very carefully.

Turning off the system while it is updating FLASH will open up the window of error. For the most part this shouldn't kill a system unless the update routine is particularly poorly implemented.

-=-

Mark

·
Premium Member
12,972 Posts
The track record of interrupted updates to the EEPROMs in the DTC-100 are well documented. The system in use by the DBS companies is full of security holes. The risk of signal interruption on a large sacle is quite large, considering that DTV will send an update in the late afternoon when it is well known that this is the time of day in the south east has the highest incidents of thunderstorms and power outages. RCA needs to change it's methods and begin to offer service center updates for a small fee. Or, offer the software on a CD that can be loaded via the data port with a PC. This is possible but has not been implemented due to cost considerations. The DTC-100 is very vulnerable now because RCA told me the updates are destructive because of existing memory capacity. Many other receivers are non-destructive because they can download a complete update before erasing the eeprom. This way the new can be self tested before losing the old. The DTC-100 can't. While a safer time to execute the update is early morning hours, it still is not foolproof. I would recommend DirecTV cease all DTC-100 sat updates. I would prefer to pay for it to be installed at a dealer than suffer what I did last year when DirecTV fried my DTC-100.

------------------

Don Landis

Home Theater Pics at: www.scubatech.com Last updated 3/25/01

·
Premium Member
11,869 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by EAS:
Don, not to nit pick or anything but the upgrade is downloaded to the second tsop chip on the board completely before the unit overwrites the main chip with the firmware. The problem is that there is no way to reverse the overwrite/upgrade if the process runs into an error during the move from tsop 1 to tsop 0. You can see the whole process hapening if you write protect tsop 0.

Bottom line is we are all in total agreement that a desructive firmware upgrade is just that...destructive. Lock your chips people...who knows you may lock in some good features and lock out some bad ones in the future.

EAS
I agree totally. You don't know what you got until its gone. You do not miss what you never had.

------------------

Kipp

IS THAT A REMOTE CONTROL IN YOUR POCKET OR ARE YOU JUST HAPPY TO SEE HDTV?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I agree with Don about the DTC100 firmware update. The DTC-100 is very vulnerable with the current implementation. I do live close by an airport and the DTV signal has been interrupted most of the time when aircraft approaches for landing. Matter of fact, a Boeing 757 fried my DTC100 during last May update. Lucky for me, it was still in 30 days return policy.

Very high risk to take a DTC100 firmware update at this time. This due to weather, birds and power interruption. As Don's comments - the DTC100 update process is poorly implemented. So, void all the updates as you can. Remember to turn off the unit while not watching TV.

HDBEE

------------------

DHBEE

·
Registered
128 Posts
Is there no error detection done on the downloaded code? If an error is found then the transfer to the main chip should not take place. Plane flyovers, bad weather, etc. resulting in incomplete/innacurate downloads should only result in a delay until the next update window occurs.

------------------
RCA F38310

·
Registered
201 Posts
I don't know if this works, I found it on another forum. My DTC is at the most recent update 5.10 with no problems. For those of you that do not want to take the update try this at your own risk I will not take any responsiblity for your actions.......

Ira

Firmware Update

When you install your system take the HU card out. When you have a signal, do the following:

1. Tune to channel 199

2. on the receiver, press info and the left button and hold them both down until the menu appears.

3. Select "Demo Mode"

4. Select "Special Update Mode"

This should stop the receiver from accepting any firmware updates.

Menus can be accessed with the card in or out, rebooting does not seem to reset this back to normal update mode.

------------------

Ira Solod [email protected]

Pioneer Elite 510, Lexicon DC-1 ver.4 DTS, Parasound 1205A 200W x [email protected] ohms, M&K S150THX LCR, M&K Surround-55 rears, Klipsch PSW-10 sub, Pioneer DV-F727, Quadscan Pro, DTC-100, JVC 7600 SVHS, Camelot Dragon 5.1, Power Wedge Ultra 111, Monster Power 2500, All homemade interconnects made mostly from RG-6QS

[This message has been edited by isolo (edited 09-28-2001).]

·
Premium Member
12,972 Posts
EAS:
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Don, not to nit pick or anything but the upgrade is downloaded to the second tsop chip on the board completely before the unit overwrites the main chip with the firmware. The problem is that there is no way to reverse the overwrite/upgrade if the process runs into an error during the move from tsop 1 to tsop 0. You can see the whole process hapening if you write protect tsop 0.
I have not disected the process as you claim to have done. my information comes directly from the RCA tech who wrote the software upgrade. At least that was what he told me. His explanation was what I stated and it doesn't exactly match your analysis. This was the upgrade that occured last November. It was, according to him, the first upgrade to the DTC-100 that was a destructive process, that required the bulk of existing OS to be deleted before the new firmware was completely downloaded due to the size of memory needed to handle the upgrade process. The latest upgrades may not be following this same process. According to that tech, I was the first one to report a failed DTC-100 confirmed due to an interrupted signal in mid download. Since I also know, personally, the manager in charge of the RF management of these upgrades at DirecTV, I confirmed with him that my hit was the first attempt at sending the upgrade at 4PM EDT. It was scheduled at 5AM on the previous 3 days and I missed that schedule because I had my DTC on power strip switch at that time in the morning. The reason why I got hit was that I was coincidently adjusting my dish alignment during the time when they (my friend) decided to send the upgrade in an unscheduled, un-announced afternoon transmission. I can also tell you that the guys in RF group are fully aware that this process is flawed but the decision is to take the risk. There are also certain firmware security updates that benefit DirecTV's fight against piracy that also go along with the ride on these downloads. I learned of one last November in my disaster but I would guess they are executing these with each download. Otherwise why would they bother doing this for us for free. They are thinking they get some benefit from these upgrades too.

Has anyone determined what the current upgrade did? All I can see is that the menus have this embossed numbering that I didn't see before. Also, my PPV's don't ever seem to get erased in the past purchases list. I don't do that many but the few that I do have on there are still there for over 10 months now. In the old days they would get erased each month when the DTC would call in.

------------------

Don Landis

Home Theater Pics at: www.scubatech.com Last updated 3/25/01

·
Registered
660 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Don Landis:
EAS:

I have not disected the process as you claim to have done. my information comes directly from the RCA tech who wrote the software upgrade....
They should know. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif

Thanks for the information. Maybe your friend can provide information as to the changes of the most recent upgrade.

Like I said..either way the process can leave a unit dead. THere is no build in mechanism to revert to older firmware if there are upgrade errors.

Locking your chips definately voids your warranty, but if you are out of warranty and concerned....it's a nice mod.

EAS

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.