AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone speak to the quality and reputation of these two brands.

I'm looking for a good surround set for a wall mounted plasma, but the speakers also have to do music very, very well. In fact I would prioritze music over movie surround quality. I enjoy various electronic (chill, ambient, euro house), jazz, classical, and then after that pretty much everything else too except country, pop and rap :rolleyes:

The two sets of speakers of theirs that I'm interested in are:

Fronts & Center:

ML' Fresco wall mountables

M&Ks MP-150 wall mountables

Sub:

ML's Grotto or Depth Subwoofer

M&K- Not as familiar with their subs or what would work well with the MP-150s

Rears:

I would love to say money here. Help!

Thanks.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Quote:
In fact I would prioritze music over movie surround quality.
IMO, no wall-mounted system will give you the best music reproduction. Maybe you could get decent sound quality, but I couldn't imagine any good soundstage or imaging.

OTOH, I would forgo the M&K's for music. From what I've heard, they are terrible at music only.

Good luck,

James

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JamesCB

OTOH, I would forgo the M&K's for music. From what I've heard, they are terrible at music only.

Good luck,

James [/b]
This is simply not true. M&K's can sound fantastic with music - especially DVD-A and SACD.

I've had people hear my S-150's and be blown away by the sound on music - matched with a good sub, BTW.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Forget wall mountables if you value SQ, imaging or anything else for that matter. The frescas are not "musical" speakers they are meant as a non intrusive alternative to the cheasy speakers in your plasma. You are not going to ge the SQ you want from on walls, in walls, or ceiling. You need a properly engineered and bult speaker to sound good. Also dont skimp on the signal path. Remeber the speaker only should reproduce what its sent. So keep this in mind when choiosing componets.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Personally I think the ML's and the MK's are in two different classes. Kinda hard to compare (electrostatic and direct). But I would say go with the MK's. You could match them with the MX150 THX MkII sub (awesome sub). Since you have mentioned MK. You will probably get a chime in from Deep Purple and he will give you probably the best answer.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Frescos aren't electrostats they are ATF. I like the Frescos and would not even consider the Grotto. You need the depth at least.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by edsullivan
The frescas are not "musical" speakers they are meant as a non intrusive alternative to the cheasy speakers in your plasma...You need a properly engineered and bult speaker to sound good.
Are you insane?? Have you ever even listend the the "Fresco". They're not "properly" engineered??? Oh please....

"ATF diaphragms are constructed of extremely low mass Dupont Kaladex® PEN (polyethylene naphthalate)—a material chemically similar to the low-mass PET (polyethelene terathylate) film used in MartinLogan's generation 2 electrostatic transducers, yet capable of handling the high thermal requirements needed for stable magnetic thin film operation. Full surface drive capabilities allow this durable, low mass diaphragm to remain discretely sized, yet achieve extremely low-distortion levels with superior resolution. To maximize installation options, ATF transducers are completely shielded to eliminate any deleterious effects on nearby equipment."

Yeah, no "engineering" in these speakers :rolleyes:

·
Registered
207 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JamesCB
IMO, no wall-mounted system will give you the best music reproduction. Maybe you could get decent sound quality, but I couldn't imagine any good soundstage or imaging.

Good luck,

James
"From what I've heard, they are terrible at music only." - another insance quote of hearsay...

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have M&K 851 speakers and they sound great with music. Why do people keep saying they sound bad for music? I don't get it.

·
Premium Member
3,832 Posts
M&K has been in the wall-mount speaker business for quite awhile. I would also consider Triad in this price range. You should absolutely go look and listen to the speakers under consideration (preferably with similar electronics to what you'll have at home). One person's preference may be another person's poison...

Given your music tastes, you must get a decent subwoofer. Although in-wall sub options exist, you'd be better off getting an in-room option (it will need to be moved to find the optimal position for SQ). Search this forum for subwoofer suggestions... it's a daily recurring topic.

·
Registered
228 Posts
My M & K S-150 THX front 3 speakers and M & K 150 Subwoofer sound musically fantastic with the combination of Rotel 1095, Lexicon MC-8B, Denon 3910 DVD cum SACD/HDCD player!!!

Great for music and HT!!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hi Gideon and Bambam,

Could you pm me how much you paid and where you bought the MK S-150. Just wanted to check what are the good places to buy.

Thanks!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.