AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off I apologize if this isn't the right place for this type of thread but I don't know what else to do... if there is another forum that is better with this issues anyone could recommend, I would appreciate it.


Ok, I bought a new HTPC that would server as my secondary HTPC so I could transfer all my new music and movies over to my main HTPC and also my main working computer for my job.


Parts list:

mb: GIGABYTE GA-E7AUM-DS2H

cpu: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550

cooler: ZEROtherm Nirvana NV120 120mm

ram: G.SKILL F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK 4GB DDR2 1066

hd: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST31000528AS 1TB

drive: Sony Optiarc AD-7241S-0B

ps: Athena Power AP-P4ATX95FEPC


On first power up I had a front usb case header in the wrong place so it didn't power up. Decided to unplug all the unnecessary things and it powered up fine. Problem occurs during the boot where it would hang on verifying dmi pool data... checked the memory - reseated it, checked plugs, checked ram and hd on my other computer - they worked fine. By unplugging everything except the ps, cpu & fan, ram and disc drive, I've been able to get past this issue when booting from my xp install disc. Everything then seems to be fine but I then get the "a serious problem has occurred" blue screen of death and can't get past this...


I've at this point I've reset the mb bios settings and nothings worked. Right now sitting at home the mb battery is now unplugged along with the ps and I've formatted the hd in hope of something good happening tonight.


Any suggestions? is it a bad MB?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
453 Posts
It could be. But it is most likely assembly error. Nothing against you. I am just hinking as if I put it together. There are so many things to remember, one little thing could foul the whol thing up. Take another hard look at what is going on.


You could alway RMA the board and try again. It is not unheard of to have a bad MB.


You know what, is this a sata HD? Check your MB documentation. I had some MB's that had issues with not having an IDE to boot to and needed a special boot disc.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphyne /forum/post/16913799


It could be. But it is most likely assembly error. Nothing against you. I am just hinking as if I put it together. There are so many things to remember, one little thing could foul the whol thing up. Take another hard look at what is going on.


You could alway RMA the board and try again. It is not unheard of to have a bad MB.


You know what, is this a sata HD? Check your MB documentation. I had some MB's that had issues with not having an IDE to boot to and needed a special boot disc.

thanks for the reply Morphyne, it is a sata hard drive! I can't remember clearly what happened when I booted it in fail safe mode it asked me the hd was booting as a ide and to change it... I can't remember off the top of my head...


Everything is connected correctly and I'm not sure how anyone could do it differently...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,954 Posts
For future reference, I always like to install one item at a time. I have had this type of thing happen before. I usually install ram, mobo and cpu first. then booth. Then add the video card, boot. Then install the hard drive and optical. boot. Do a full scan for errors on the hard drve (best preventative measure you can ever take). load OS. install software. defragment and check for errors. once it is all set up... make a back up using the OS restore or another program like Ghost.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,168 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by realtight /forum/post/16913460


I've been able to get past this issue when booting from my xp install disc. Everything then seems to be fine but I then get the "a serious problem has occurred" blue screen of death and can't get past this...

You may need to install the SATA driver for your motherboard by hitting F6 during the Windows XP installation. Have you tried that?


Here's a link to the drivers:

http://www.gigabyte.us/Support/Mothe...t=xp#anchor_os
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert /forum/post/16914865


You may need to install the SATA driver for your motherboard by hitting F6 during the Windows XP installation. Have you tried that?


Here's a link to the drivers:

http://www.gigabyte.us/Support/Mothe...t=xp#anchor_os


I have not tried that... and I wouldn't have even known to try if you wouldn't have mentioned this! thanks!


btw, so I hit F6, then what happens? do I need to have this downloaded to a CD first? excuse the ignorance, I don't build computers very often, on #5.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
95 Posts
Just curious have you set up your memory in the bios? According to GSkill help desk there are some settings that may need to be modified. I know that I had to modify settings in my ASUS based machine when using their DDR2 800 ram

Reply from GSkill on Newegg

Quote:
Manufacturer Response:.

Dear Customer


The memory package you purchased requires configuring in your BIOS. Most motherboard default settings are not optimized for this memory, as a result, it is not plug and play and you will have issues with it if you do not change the settings in BIOS. Memory frequency needs to be set to 1066, memory timings set to tCL 5 - tRCD 5 - tRP 5 - tRAS 15 - CMD 2, and lastly memory voltage to 2.1V. The voltage is most important because default is usually 1.8V and that is way too low for this memory to operate properly. Once you compelte the following steps above, save and exit and your computer should be running smoothly. If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact us and we will be able to assist you.


Thank you

GSKILL SUPPORT


Quality and customer service are our top priorities.


Tech Support Email: [email protected]

RMA Dept Email: [email protected]

G.SKILL Forum: http://www.gskill.com
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,168 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by realtight /forum/post/16915419


I have not tried that... and I wouldn't have even known to try if you wouldn't have mentioned this! thanks!


btw, so I hit F6, then what happens? do I need to have this downloaded to a CD first? excuse the ignorance, I don't build computers very often, on #5.

The procedure is on page 82 of the MB manual:

http://america.gigabyte.com.tw/FileL...aum-ds2h_e.pdf



Basically, you will need to download the driver and extract to either a floppy or a USB flash drive. Launch Windows XP setup by booting from the CD and watch the status line at the bottom of the screen. You will see a prompt that says "Press F6 to install a third-party driver". Hit F6 quickly, then "S" to specify driver and then browse to the floppy or USB drive.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,375 Posts
If it is giving a BSOD, it is more likely a memory problem. You might have better luck if you set the memory frequency to 800 instead of 1066. It won't hurt anything and might be more stable.. Also see if the memory voltage is set for 2.1v


BB
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
339 Posts
Do some research on any of the overclocking websites (Hardforum, Xtremesystems, etc) for the best RAM timings and other settings with your specific RAM/MB/CPU combo.


If that doesn't work, then check with Gskill for suggestions on bios settings.


If that still doesn't work, try a different hard drive.


If that doesn't work, try a different video card.


If that doesn't work, try one stick of memory at a time.


If that doesn't work, switch up the SATA port you're using on the mb.


etc etc...


If none of that works, RMA the board.


If that doesn't work, give up and buy a pre-fab system. :p


Whatever the case, good luck!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
365 Posts
I really think it's a SATA driver issue. Are you installing XP or Vista? If it's XP, then unless you have set the SATA ports in the bios to IDE settings, you need drivers, if it's Vista, it should work without any special drivers being loaded either using the IDE setting or the other setting which is escaping me at the moment.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
764 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by realtight /forum/post/16913460


First off I apologize if this isn't the right place for this type of thread but I don't know what else to do... if there is another forum that is better with this issues anyone could recommend, I would appreciate it.


Ok, I bought a new HTPC that would server as my secondary HTPC so I could transfer all my new music and movies over to my main HTPC and also my main working computer for my job.


Parts list:

mb: GIGABYTE GA-E7AUM-DS2H

cpu: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550

cooler: ZEROtherm Nirvana NV120 120mm

ram: G.SKILL F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK 4GB DDR2 1066

hd: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST31000528AS 1TB

drive: Sony Optiarc AD-7241S-0B

ps: Athena Power AP-P4ATX95FEPC


On first power up I had a front usb case header in the wrong place so it didn't power up. Decided to unplug all the unnecessary things and it powered up fine. Problem occurs during the boot where it would hang on verifying dmi pool data... checked the memory - reseated it, checked plugs, checked ram and hd on my other computer - they worked fine. By unplugging everything except the ps, cpu & fan, ram and disc drive, I've been able to get past this issue when booting from my xp install disc. Everything then seems to be fine but I then get the "a serious problem has occurred" blue screen of death and can't get past this...


I've at this point I've reset the mb bios settings and nothings worked. Right now sitting at home the mb battery is now unplugged along with the ps and I've formatted the hd in hope of something good happening tonight.


Any suggestions? is it a bad MB?

The guys suggesting the SATA drivers are correct. XP will not recognize the SATA HDD unless you load the driver first. Usually when I build a system, I start with the basics: CPU, HSF, RAM, HDD CD/DVD, GPU (on-board if it has it) & monitor using PS2 mouse and KB (because I have run into issues using USB M & KB before). I turn the system on with no disk in disk drive and immediately enter the BIOS to see that all drives are recognized. I usually run a memtest here too. Lastly, check you CPU temps to make sure you got the HSF mounted correctly.


If everything is fine, then I leave all settings at default and install windows. If using an SATA hdd, windows will ask you to hit the designated key to install SATA driver when you first boot to the disk. Have these on a floppy (or flash drive if supported) and ready to insert. I never put a floppy drive in any new PCs any more, but I always keep one in a static bag along with a cable for just this occasion (and BIOS updates). If you do not load the SATA driver at the start, you WILL have problems.


BT
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,375 Posts
I have, this past month, built 2 Gigabyte rigs 780G chipsets with a single SATA HDD. If you set the bios to IDE mode and are not planning to run SATA RAID, you don't need to load SATA drivers. If it is not recognizing the hard drive it will not boot and will give one of those "OS not found please insert suitable media and try again" messages. It will not boot from the XP CD and then BSOD, like the OP described. I am pretty sure that it is a memory or other hardware issue.


BB


BB
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,035 Posts
yea all the drivers on gigabytes website are for SATA RAID drivers, not the sata drivers itself...so if i bought one of these for one sata hard drive would i or not have to download the sata raid drivers anyways??? IS this true for all other brands of motherboards too??? MSI, DFI, Asus, ASRock???? Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,375 Posts

Quote:
Thanks for all the replys everyone!! It was the memory voltage!


I'm now working on a very fast computer!!!

Glad you got it going. Now, quick, make an image of your pristine install


BB
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top