AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings!

So I think I'm going to finally take the HT plunge, and after spending months reading through threads and getting myself thoroughly overwhelmed with options, I figured I would throw myself at the mercy of the masses and ask for a bit of advice/feedback.

Looking to start with a Receiver. Budget would be ~$400.

No real need for 3D for the foreseeable future.

Would like iPod connectivity.

Pandora/Internet radio intrigues me, but it's not a must.

Would be connecting Xbox360, DVD player, HD Cable Box, Wii, and Panasonic Plasma TV.

Would like 7.1 mainly because of the 5.1 dual zone functionality - I don't have plans to wire 7.1 speakers.

Based on this, I've narrowed my choices down to a few (and would welcome any others)

Pioneer 1020

Onkyo 608

Onkyo 260

I'm leaning towards the 1020 as being the best bang for the buck, especially because if the included iPod adaptability (as opposed to other receivers which require a purchased dock/addon).

Once I get this figured out .. look for a followup post in the Speakers section of the forum

thanks in advance!

~smurf

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
if you could squeeze another $100+ out of the budget, consider the Pioneer VSX-1120. Network and internet radio built in, pre-outs if future external amp is needed, good video upscaling from analog inputs to digital output, and full iPod control.

Heck of a deal now at Amazon and several others (if you deal with Amazon, make sure you are buying the receiver from Amazon.com, not one of their many 3rd party dealers, so the warranty is good, as Amazon.com is an authorized Pioneer "Home" dealer)

If 3D is not a need, then this is a good deal on a Yamaha V765 a/v receiver from Newegg.com (authorized on-line Yamaha dealer) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...=yamaha%20v765 recently out of stock, this re-stock should go quickly

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the feedback - I hadn't really considered Yamahas because I thought that iPod functionality would cost me $80-$100 for the dock. Any idea if that's true or not? That's a really good price @350 - but I'm not sure that it beats out the 1020 @ $360 (the 'zon).

The 1120 is intriguing, but it is a bit outside of what I was hoping to spend.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Anymore feedback?

One of my biggest questions about the differences between the brands is the iPod connectivity and functionality. It seems that at similar price points (350-410), the Pio is a big winner because it has iPod functionality out of the box, where the Onkyo's and the Yamaha would require a somewhat pricey addon dock, correct? Or am I reading the specs wrong?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
gobble, gobble?

Any last minute comments/feedback/ideas before I attempt Black Friday tomorrow?

Also, seems like there are some good deals for the Pioneer 820 - in terms of what i'm looking to get, is the $150 more for the 1020 worth it in terms of feature set?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.