AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9,889 Posts

Scott declared sci-fi dead? Really? When was this? Tell him to call me; I have a few ideas he could use.....

The film & music industries are just burstin' with remakes these days. I'm not convinced they're dead, execs just need to find the right content producers.

·
Banned
4,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi /forum/post/16962607

Scott, great. But I absolutely hate DiCaprio and everything he does. The only thing I think he was halfway decent in was Blood Diamond.

He was exceptional in Romeo+Juliet and The Departed, and good in The Beach and Catch Me If You Can. I think he's had just as many blah or bad roles as good or great ones though unfortunately. Plus he's forever linked to Jack in Titanic.

I would love to see Leo in a sci-fi role to see how he was, but as of right now hes only a producer.

·
Registered
21,216 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi /forum/post/16962607

Scott, great. But I absolutely hate DiCaprio and everything he does. The only thing I think he was halfway decent in was Blood Diamond.

A lot of people detest DiCaprio. Although his whiney voice and teenage heartthrob image are off-putting, he has convinced me over time that he is a gifted actor. I thought he was perfectly cast in Catch me if you Can and his more recent performances in The Aviator, Departed, and especially Revolutionary Road, proved to me at least that DiCaprio has a lot of talent.

I hope 1984 gets made and that Ridley Scott directs it. It is a chilling tale of what individual rights might have to be given up for a peaceful, orderly society. Apparently it has never been filmed except for a couple of made for TV productions. In the hands of a big league director like Scott it could be a fine film.

·
Registered
9,889 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat /forum/post/16965175

I hope 1984 gets made and that Ridley Scott directs it. It is a chilling tale of what individual rights might have to be given up for a peaceful, orderly society. Apparently it has never been filmed except for a couple of made for TV productions. In the hands of a big league director like Scott it could be a fine film.

Didn't (the late) Richard Burton star in a (80s) theatrical version that flopped big time?

·
Registered
28,705 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezzy /forum/post/16965740

Didn't (the late) Richard Burton star in a (80s) theatrical version that flopped big time?

Yes.

·
Banned
4,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink /forum/post/16965191

Is there a male lead that ISN'T detested on this forum?

Clint Eastwood...maybe?

God, he is awful! :p

That's a good question though.. Kurt Russell? Bill Murray? Jim Carrey? Sir Ian McKellan? Johnny Depp? Mel Gibson pre-alcoholicJewrage?

·
Registered
21,216 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezzy /forum/post/16965740

Burton did star in 1984. I meant to type Brave New World instead of 1984. I have always confused the two and it appears that I still do.

·
Registered
9,308 Posts
My favorite is the 1950's version of 1984 that the BBC did. In B&W it is very chilling. Saw it when I was 12 years old as the first film the new TV station in the area played. Brave New World has been done several times and there is a TV miniseries version from the 1970s on Google Video. There needs to be a well done version and I think Ridley can get the interpretation right.

Sci-fi dead? Not from what I've been reading in The Hollywood Reporter. Where comedies and horror films were the main venue of the Great Depression, Hollywood figures that comedies and sci-fi will be the venue for this one.

·
Registered
9,889 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat /forum/post/16966403

Burton did star in 1984. I meant to type Brave New World instead of 1984. I have always confused the two and it appears that I still do.

The 'Nimoy' version of BNW was a made for TV production? No wonder it sucked!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts