·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
only difference between these 2 tv's is the price and the hz,

one is a 46'' sony bravia model KDL46EX400 which is 60hz

and the other is a

sony bravia 40'' model KDL40EX500 which is 120hz

so my question is can you really notice the difference from 60 to 120 hz? id like to go with the bigger screen for the same price but i also want the picture quality to be good..so what are your opinions?

·
Registered
6,242 Posts
Many on this forum won't agree with me, but I'd go with the 40" EX500 over the 46" EX400. The EX500 is one of the best-reviewed TVs on this forum for 2010.

If you need the extra "inches" then that's up to you. Personally I'd try to save up a few extra bucks and get a 46" EX500.

·
Registered
873 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by denali7432 /forum/post/19635736

only difference between these 2 tv's is the price and the hz,

one is a 46'' sony bravia model KDL46EX400 which is 60hz

and the other is a

sony bravia 40'' model KDL40EX500 which is 120hz

so my question is can you really notice the difference from 60 to 120 hz? id like to go with the bigger screen for the same price but i also want the picture quality to be good..so what are your opinions?

I would go for the bigger screen over the 60 to 120.....IMO.

·
Registered
8,383 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerJim /forum/post/19635821

Many on this forum won't agree with me, but I'd go with the 40" EX500 over the 46" EX400. The EX500 is one of the best-reviewed TVs on this forum for 2010.

If you need the extra "inches" then that's up to you. Personally I'd try to save up a few extra bucks and get a (120hz) 46" EX500.

+1

,many on this forum would agree with you.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Performance wise both models are very close: EX500 has better TV picture (by a hair) and EX400 has little bit better input lag for gaming (more into acceptable zone, while EX500 with its ~60ms lag is already into slower range).

Black levels are the same, color reproduction the same, viewing angle - EX500 has it better.

So overall if you are not videophile, you will probably won't notice picture difference BUT that said, EX500 is one foot ahead in this regard.

On the other side you have bigger screen.....this one you have to calculate yourself. Bigger is better as they say but I would say why not to look for good price for 46EX500?

I'm sure you can find something interesting online...pricegrabber....hint...hint.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
the tv is going to go in the bedroom, about 15x13..the difference between the 40'' 120hz and the 46'' 120 hz is about $135 only..and i think thats not alot considering you get 6 more inches..plus im doing the special financing bestbuy has..i got approved last night and it will only cost me $25 a month interest free for 36 months..so i think i will go with the 46'' ex500 and im going to throw the denon dht 591 ba and a sony blu-ray player..so i thank you in helping piece together the final puzzle in my bedroom home theater..im glad i decided to ask here, i would have been angry to know for only $135 more i could have gotten a much better quality tv..lol

·
Registered
202 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by denali7432
the tv is going to go in the bedroom, about 15x13..the difference between the 40'' 120hz and the 46'' 120 hz is about $135 only..and i think thats not alot considering you get 6 more inches..plus im doing the special financing bestbuy has..i got approved last night and it will only cost me $25 a month interest free for 36 months..so i think i will go with the 46'' ex500 and im going to throw the denon dht 591 ba and a sony blu-ray player..so i thank you in helping piece together the final puzzle in my bedroom home theater..im glad i decided to ask here, i would have been angry to know for only $135 more i could have gotten a much better quality tv..lol

Thats the point!

I always say, why choose one over the other when you can have both

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
FWIW our bedroom is about the same size and a 50" looks awesome in there
Now that you have upped your budget can you get into a 52" @ 60hz for about the same money? We went with a 50" plasma, costs less than either of your 1st 2 choices.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Servicetech571
FWIW our bedroom is about the same size and a 50" looks awesome in there
Now that you have upped your budget can you get into a 52" @ 60hz for about the same money? We went with a 50" plasma, costs less than either of your 1st 2 choices.
they do have a toshiba 55'' thats 1080p and 120hz for $999, it has 16 reviews with a avg of 4.9 out of 5 which is nice..and i do like toshiba i currently own a 72'' hdtv toshiba that ive had for about 6 years now and love it more each day..so who knows..i really like the bravia..i bought my dad one for xmas a few years ago for the bedroom..he doesnt care for large tv's so i went with the 26'' hdtv and he loves it..i think at this point its a coin toss on these 2 tv's..but im still leaning towards the 46'' bravia

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Toshiba+...&skuId=1316005

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.