AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my bravo d1 arrived monday, sept. 22. the ten meter dvi cable will not fit the infocus 7200. took me a few hours to figure that out. i ordered the infocus 30 foot dvi cable and it arrived wednesday, sept. 24.

it took five minutes to set up the bravo and go through the menus to turn on HD dvi 720p( because of messages posted i tried out 1080i, worked, no problem) the bravo is set to digital encoded sound. the sound connection is coaxial. the bravo is set for 16:9 screen, 720p. my infocus has color offsers set to 39, color gains to 66, brightness and contrast both 50( this was recommended by a screenplay engineer in may/03) the aspect ratio is set to native.

because of all of the reports of problems with the bravo i decided that if i got one i would take some special care in using. i cleaned the lens and decided that i would clean each disc prior to loading and that i would never push the loader with my hand, but always use the remote to close. already i've played parts of many dvds and watched several dvds entirely. no technical problems whatsoever. i've played dvds, skipped around, stop, put in a different disc, etc. just like we all like to do with no lock-ups or any other issues.

wow, despite reading so many post i didn't expect such stunning, clear ,3D life like images. for example gladiator is just exquisite. it seems like i actually see more than before. i've decided to watch disc after disc all over again. next, pearl harbor! yeah, the experience is definitely better than with my other dvd players. i don't think that even the most expensive dvd player will be able to compete unless they add dvi out.

the bravo is very good and inexpensive. it is a winner.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Recieved mine yesterday. Took me several hours to figure out that in order to set it up for the DVI connection I first had to hook up component cables to access the menu (this is not explained anywhere in the manual). When I finally figured that out I then recalled seeing that posted somewhere on one of the forums.

When I first plugged it in, and pushed the power button, nothing happened. Unplugged and "rebooted" and the power worked ok since.

Couldn't get the drawer to open. Unplugged and replugged and whalla, it now opens and closes without any additional problems (so far).

I have found that many of my CD's don't start up and play properly. Clean them and they seem now to be ok. But never had any problems playing them on my old Sony. Will try buying a can of compressed air to blow off the lens(?).

Everytime I play a new DVD I am uncertain what will happen. I have yet to turn it over to my wife and daughter because they would not be very happy with its functionality. It is sort of like working with a computer, you always have to screw with it to get it working.

Picture is very, very nice when it operates properly.

Will keep my Sony hooked up for a few weeks as a standby until I feel all the bugs with the Bravo are hashed out.

I want to like this unit so bad.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Mine came early this month and it lasted a week since then it has been returned for a refund. Problems: freeze, didn't read disc were some of the major issues. A $200 player should not have none of of these problems, IMO. I keep my faithful $150 Sony instead.

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
It's very sad that Vinc can't just change their crappy loader so the quality and reliability would be better, even if it meant upping the price to $250. There is no excuse for a $200 player to have loader problem. I expect this out of a $40 player from Walmart.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Before returning your player try using a lens cleaner. I was having lock up problems on 1 out of every 2 discs before I used it. I havent had any problems since. It seems like a ridiculous fix but it worked. I used the type of lens cleaner that has this little piece of felt on the disc. So far so good. I'm glad it's working though because the picture quality is better than my Panasonic RP-82. I can't really blame the RP-82 though it's probably the upconversion from my TV that makes the RP-82 look softer. I'll let you know if any problems pop up again with the Bravo.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I've seen a lot of comments on the PQ of the Bravo D1. What about the sound? Is there a big difference in movie sound quality between high end and inexpensive players, or is the difference mostly applicable only to dedicated music disks?

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Grampa:

The Bravo D1 is a video player/scaler for those with a display that can take advantage of that combination (DLPs receive the most benefit, LCDs and Plasma next and CRTs the least). The sound is (or should be) a digital connection to your receiver for DVDs. Your receiver should do the sound decoding. I do not use the Bravo for CDs and it doesn't do hi-res audio (DVD-A or SACD).

·
Registered
542 Posts
I thought that might be the case. but I wondered whether, for movie sound, the quality of the player makes any difference at all. I'd hate to undermine my investment in the HT sound system in order to save a few bucks on the dvd player.

·
Premium Member
3,215 Posts
Digital coaxial and optical DD/DTS movie sound is excellent. On par with most others. Analog audio or video ouputs are a different story and should not be used.

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i've always made coaxial connection from my dvd player to my receiver. with the bravo this works and audio is as good as can be. too bad no dvd audio or scd can be played.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.