AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my Bravo D1 today and wanted to report on its "alternative" features. Everyone seems very concerned about its DVI output, I'm not going to discuss that here. I have an older 4:3 Hitachi 53" HDTV, it has no DVI input, only component. I bought this player for its DivX features and as a replacement for my RP-62. So far I love this player! Here are my comments below.

The player does not appear to read DVD-R or DVD-RW that contain DivX files if the filesystem on the media is UDF. It does play DVD-R and DVD-RW that are DVD-Video in the UDF filesystem.

DivX files must be in the ISO filesystem format for the reader to play them.

I use Princo brand DVD-RW.

It appears to properly send raw AC3 from the AVI directly out the Digital output.

Some AVI files do not play audio, I believe they may have been encoded with some codec the player does not support. It appears that AC3 and MP3 encoded files play fine.

It seems to have difficulty playing Divx 3.11 files. It freezes often. Divx 4 and 5 seems to be much better. Some Divx 5 files play perfectly. Others will freeze briefly every few minutes. It could be due to my cheap media. The documentation states the player does not support QPEL or GMC, this could also be causing the freezes.

When it does play without freezing, the picture is very acceptable. I was playing through the component outputs at 480P. You can set the outputs to 720P and 1080i, but not while the file is playing. I'm not sure if it actually upscales, since I couldnt see any visual difference.

There really is no fast forward or rewind, but you can search.

All in all its a great deal.

Anyone want to buy a RP62?

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Duplicate post

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
So it has no problem with Princo DVDRs then? I use the white top ones.

Marc.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've never tried the Princo DVD-Rs, I've only ever used Princo DVD-RWs. These are white top, with a blue-grey die. I'm sure they arent as reliable as name brand, but at $1 each they work fine for me. I use a Pioneer A05 and Nero to burn them. I used to have a Pioneer A03, but it burned lots of "coasters" with the Princo DVD-RW media. Fortunately, since its DVD-RW I can reuse coasters most of the time. The A05 has been perfect so far. It looks like I may need to re-encode many of my DivX files, but since they are on DVD-RW I can reuse the media.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I'm not sure I get the UDF/ISO format difference. Are you referring to whether the disc is written all-at-once or by drag-and-drop?

I have a Sony DRU-500 that can write both +RW/-RW/+R/-R discs, and I had hoped to be able to play Divx files located on these types of discs.

Is it easy to select between different Divx files located on a single disc?

Finally, as far as alternative uses are concerned, how is MP3/WMA playback?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ro345

DivX files must be in the ISO filesystem format for the reader to play them.

I use Princo brand DVD-RW.
i wonder if this feature still works using CD-R. can anyone test? thanks.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
bshor,

UDF and ISO are filesystem types. Like FAT or NTFS. My Bravo D1 does not read a DivX DVD if it is written in UDF. When I put in a Divx DVD that has been written in ISO, it displays "ISO CD" on the display and works fine. When you burn the disc, you choose ISO or UDF from the software. In Nero, the choice is very obvious.

Its very easy to pick different DIVX files on a disc.

I havent tried MP3 playback.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
RO345,

I make all of my dvdrs using the DVD-ROM(ISO) option in Nero. It is the first option at the top of DVD choices. I tried the "DVD-video" option in the past but my Pioneer player didn't like it. Do you know if the ISO DVDR's will work on the Bravo? Would you be able to test an ISO burned DVD for me? It would really help me out. I use the Pioneer A05 as well.

Marc.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Marc,

I dont have any DVD-Rs, only DVD-RWs. I'm sure DVD-Rs have a much better chance of being compatible with the Bravo than DVD-RWs. I burned several DVD-Video disks, with vob files and IFOs using the DVD-Video option in Nero, those played fine on the Bravo. When burning DivX files only use the ISO type. I think you'll be fine with DVD-Rs, as it seems most players are more picky about DVD-RWs.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ninjatech
If it's region free, I have to have it.

Where did you buy it? I cannot find them online anywhere.
You get them from the manufacturer at www.vinc.us

This information is available in other threads as well. Please do searches in the future.

-phil

·
Registered
980 Posts
I dont believe that its region free, according to others.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
A follow-up report on the D1.

Even though this player has many new features not seen on previous players, I'm a dissappointed with its Divx capabilities.

When playing DIVX files from a DVD-R or DVD-RW, it doesnt play correctly. It will play for some random amount of time 5 - 10 minutes then go black and send me back to the menu screen. I've tried about 10 different files, and the same things happens each time. It isnt any set amount of time, the crashes seem to happen randomly.

When those same files are copied to CD-R or CD-RW they play fine.

I've sent an email to Vinc tech support this.

·
Registered
274 Posts
How about mpg 1 or 2 files burned directly to an iso dvd - can it play these?

What's the iso file size limit?

Oto: You've tried DVD+RW?

(wow it's funnly seeing the insides of these dvd players - there's just not much there)

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ro345
A follow-up report on the D1.

Even though this player has many new features not seen on previous players, I'm a dissappointed with its Divx capabilities.

When playing DIVX files from a DVD-R or DVD-RW, it doesnt play correctly. It will play for some random amount of time 5 - 10 minutes then go black and send me back to the menu screen. I've tried about 10 different files, and the same things happens each time. It isnt any set amount of time, the crashes seem to happen randomly.
Wow. I'm glad I held back on my purchase then. This is one of the primary reasons I wanted to buy this unit was for this purpose. I hacked my Xbox which plays the files perfectly fine from DVD-R (though my model has issues with -RW media) and gives me beautiful control over it. Hopefully they can fix that problem.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Follow-Up to my first post...

The Bravo D1 has to go. It basically doesnt do what I purchased it to do, that is play Divx files. I sent three emails to Vinc support and never heard back. It seems to work great on normal DVDs though. Dont buy this thing actually thinking that you can play Divx files on it without crashes and freezing.

If you are interested in purchasing my player for what I paid for it, send me a private message, otherwise its going on Ebay in a few days.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm sure it can be fixed via firmware. However, I cant even get in touch with them. My emails go unanswered and I dont have the patience to run up my phone bill sitting on hold all day. They need to have an online support forum with representatives from their company answering technical questions.

Thats why I'm selling my Vinc and will probably purchase a Mecotek or Kiss player. These companies actually have some support, and downloadable firmware upgrades (what a concecept).

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.