AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone own both the Toshiba 57HDX82 and the Bravo D1 player? I searched the compatibility thread but could not see a match with my TV or with HDX82 models. If you do own both does the DVI output work with it and accept 1080i? I know the DVI input on my TV is HDCP. Hopefully some more manufacturers like Sony, Panasonic or Toshiba will offer DVD players with the 1080i DVI option. Hope it's soon.

I did consider the Samsung 931 but I remember reading in a thread that it may not be compatible with my TV. Also I think pluge problem it has is big factor. Any answers will be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I own a 57HDX82 and I picked up the 931 a couple of days ago from BB. It was manufactured in July, thus it has the latest firmware revision. I chose the A option in the Setup section for DVI Output. Shadow detail, resolution, and color are all vastly superior using the DVI input- the Snell & Wilcox test pattern on Digital Video Essentials is sharp as a tack! HOWEVER, the compatability of the Samsung and the Toshiba HDCP is suspect. I get bursts of red and green horizontal bands (streaks) every few seconds when sending a 720P or 1080i signal to the Toshiba. This does not occur when sending a 480P signal thru the DVI. This same phenomenom happened when I had the Samsung TS-160 STB, which I returned in March. I am able to get ~ 5 minutes of streak-free viewing if I start my viewing session by first turning on the TV and switching to the DVI input and then turning on the Samsung, however after several minutes the streaks start up. The movie is watchable but the streaks are really annoying. I would like to know if anyone has been able to get an HDX82 to work properly with the Samsung DVI-equiped components. I cannot go back the the Toshiba's 540 upconversion after seeing the Samsung at work- I ordered the Bravo D1 and should receive it on Friday. I will report my results this weekend.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, Mcurtinx, for the response. Sorry to hear about the problems with the 931. Hopefully you can return it. Hope the Bravo player works out well for you. Definitely want to know the results.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.