AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

· Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone else here read the review? Anyway, It says that DVI ouput provides 480p, 720p, 1080i or 752 x 480 format signals.... it was praised for having a "superb video from the DVI output" but said to have "mediocre ANALOG audio and video performance. For $200 this aint bad at all. I want to wait for the Samsung DVD player that has the Faroujda chip but i dont know if i can wait any longer. I don't think it comes with a DVI cable either.

· Registered
1,905 Posts
The perfect DVD player for a fixed pixel display with DVI input.

· Registered
980 Posts
Would anyone buy this player for a direct view hd set that has a DVI input?

Do you think it will be a superior picture to that of an xp30 via component cables?

· Registered
1,905 Posts
It could eliminate one digital to analog conversion dependent upon how the direct view CRT (analog display) handles the DVI input. A Sony HD set owner has seen significant improvement in picture quality when inputting DVI vs. HD Component video from an HDTV set top box.

· Registered
980 Posts
So which do I get? The denon 1600, the xp30, the Bravo D1 or wait for the Samsung 931?

· Registered
1,905 Posts
What display do you have?

· Registered
980 Posts
I have a sony 36hs500. Its a trimmed down xbr800.

· Registered
3,858 Posts
which issue is this review in? I just picked up the april issue, and don't c it. Needless to say, I feel like I just waisted 5 bucks since I bought it for that.

· Registered
1,905 Posts
Chap-

You didn't waste your money, reading is an acquired taste.

Breakdown for a year's subscription at $12.

· Registered
2,867 Posts
it did not mention anything about HDCP does anyone know? also, what is Bravo, another Chinese player or from other country? what is the quality like for $200?

lenny

· Registered
3,858 Posts
Jim,

In general most of the info there was something I just wasn't interested in at the time. . . . 12 bux is a darn good price even if I don't really have much use for it. That might have just sold me.

I will probably be able to buy a D1 before I can see the mag the way things are going if they keep true to there time table. There is another player that gets released on the 15th with the same features. Its strange that all these players with the sigma chip will be coming out at the same time. The only thing I can think of is that they are all waiting for more of the same chips to be made and won't have enough until then. Or perhaps there is some form of contractual obligation that prevents them from selling it here until the 15th.

23,061 Posts
DooDoo: The D1 would probably not make sense for a non-digital

based display, i.e CRT based TVs. However at $200 it's a great deal.

Or think of it this way: It's only $200 and you can use the money

you save and apply it towards your plasma, dlp, or lcd TV purchase. :)

larry

· Registered
980 Posts
My tv is HD ready and can display 1080i quite nicely but will it convert the DVI didgital signal to analog before scanning the image on the screen. If so then there isnt much value to this player for me.

· Registered
1,905 Posts
It just passes through the Dolby Digital/DTS audio via Coaxial Digital or Toslink Optical outputs.

23,061 Posts
DooDoo: If you have a RGB input for a PC, you could try that and maybe

judge if the PQ will be any better. I believe, if you have anything CRT based, the signal has to be analog before it can be displayed.

Also, just being able to watch a DVD at 1080i instead of 480p may

make the $200 investment worthwhile. I forgot about this. 1080i does

look much better than 480p.

If it really works with no "gotchas", at $200 it could be hard to pass up.

larry

· Registered
980 Posts
Pooper Scooper and DooDoo on the same thread? That really stinks. Seriously, do you think it would produce a better picture than a rp82/xp30? those are my choices

23,061 Posts
I have an XP30. Another great $200 product. If the D1 does a decent

upconvert to 1080i over DVI, I would think that it would produce

a better image. We'll just have to wait and see. If the D1 doesn't fall apart

on the ones that have to rush right out and try it, I'll probably get

one just to see how well it does on my plasma panel. For $200,

it's not that big a gamble.

Now if LitterBox joined the thread we'd be all set! :D

larry

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.