AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've posted in the long D1 thread about my experiences with my Bravo D1. The intended focus of this thread is to see if others can replicate the lip-sync problem that I think I see on several discs.

First, please note that I do not have a pervasive lip-sync problem with my D1. Rather, I have found certain discs on which the audio appears to come a split second before the video. The delay isn't huge (especially compared to some lip-sync problems I have seen with HDTV broadcasts), but I do see it and in fast dialogue movies, it is distracting to me.

I think I have found a common link among the discs on which I see it. They are all Dolby Digital 2.0 (surround) soundtracks (i.e., non 5.1). I've seen it on two discs for sure: "L.A. Story" and "Sneakers". I think I see it, though less severely, on "Apollo 13", the DTS version, using the DD 2.0 track. I don't claim to understand why the DD 2.0 vs. 5.1 should matter.

Does anyone with these movies and a D1 see the same thing? Or, does anyone notice this with other DD 2.0 movies?

I have never seen the lip-sync problem on a DD 5.1 or DTS 5.1 movie that I know of (and I've watched parts of many discs).

I was just curious to know if this is a problem peculiar to a few or many units. Hopefully, this might help V, Inc. resolve the (my) lip-sync issues.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Do you have an audio or video lag on DD and DTS 2.0?

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Jim Noyd
Do you have an audio or video lag on DD and DTS 2.0?
Video lags the audio very slightly, but noticeably. Again, this only occurs on the aforementioned discs.

·
Premium Member
878 Posts
I have seen several posts about the Sync. problem and last night I saw it with considerable video delay (Audio lead time).

After considerable analysis I have found the pattern. This problem did not exhibit itself on my old Pioneer 606 and the Panny RP82.

As noted on a previous post it occurs only in the 2 channel surround format.

It does not occur if the D1 is configured in the Setup for: Analog/DPCM. The "Analog/DCPM" will pass thru the 2 Channel Surround and DTS, but NOT DD 5.1 in this configuration.

If the Setup is configured for "Encoded Digital", there is a significant "Audio Lead Time" that is very annoying with some video material.

My other DVD units must switch in some delay during 2 channel material or it is the inherit characteristics of the Mpg4 processor in this unit. ???

The other annoying characteristics is the loss of DTS lock during a fast forward, DVD layer switch, etc. I have Emailed Vinc about this problem and they have not responded.

I am close to returning the unit if they cannot resolve these issues.

John

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Thanks, JasonATL and jrannison-

we're on it.

Get back to you by mid-week.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.