AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought this thread might help the V-inc rep see what kind and how many users are having problems with there D1.

Mine has locked up about four different times and it's not specific to certain DVD's. It's hit or miss.

No problems with sound using optical out.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Oh, I have a lot of problems, but it's probably just compatibility with my equipment.

I only get 480p (on my Fujitsu 1st-generation plasma). 720p and 1080i are not available.

Menus look wrong. Colors are off. Machine would need major calibration.

Remote is cheap and difficult. Zooming function doesn't work.

Optical out will not give me full 5.1 (according to my receiver), only stereo.

When starting up, the machine makes a loud squeaking sound, all through the menus and splash screens. It only goes away when the movie proper begins.

Machine is slow to respond to commands. Opening and inserting a disk takes approximately twice as long as my RP-82.

Power chord is permanently attached to unit, making it much harder to install.

At first, no picture. Then I realized, I would have to use an S-video connection to actually "turn on" the DVI from the setup menu. What a pain.

Needless to say, I'm not keeping this machine. The RP-82 is wonderful -- what was I thinking?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Ahh..just the thread that i wanted to start ! Here goes:

-I second most of what DFletcher said except i din't have a problem with 720p & optical out.

-Cycling through resolutions i.e. 480i/p, 720p is a pain as once the resolution reaches 1080i, next option turns DVI off. One has to go back to the s-video connection to turn on DVI (at which point the s-video pops off).

-1080i option gives a distorted image with ghosting.

-Player sometimes just hangs and has to be power cycled. I observed this was usually when i tried hitting the menu button while movie had started.

-I did a comparision of the D1 on DVI with my old pioneer dvc 503 connected through component. On the THX video setup part, the faroudja-deinterlaced image from component seemed consistently better than the D1 on DVI. There is this particular test of 4:3 & 16:9 aspect ratio with a circle inside a rectangle. The D1 picture had some jagged edges/streaks on the circle while component was perfect/smooth.

I know the standard refrain that i shouldn't be expecting much from a 200$ machine but i don't think the DVI output alone justifies the additional 50-60$ over my old pioneer or any decent one in that price-range.

Nivas

·
Premium Member
513 Posts
OK, here's my issues to date with the Bravo D1:

1. I have experienced problems with BOTH digital outputs and my Theta Casablanca 2 pre/pro. About 50% of the time when locking onto a DD or DTS bitsream I get static and a loud squealing noise. Breaking the digital lock and re-establishing it typically solves the problem.

2. I have seen frequent lockups that require cycling of the front panel power switch to resolve. I have also encountered a repeatable video freeze on Ch. 26 of GLADIATOR (disc is in pristine condition and plays fine on my other DVD players).

3. Can't seem to directly access chapters on a DVD via the numeric keys on the remote or the Search function. Inputing a chapter number into the Search function and hitting Enter always takes you to Chapter 1.

4. The manual is woefully incomplete on general operational procedures for the player. For example, direct track selection is not described at all. #3 above might not be an issue, and perhaps I'm just not performing it correctly? Hard to say since the manual doesn't even cover it!

5. No time remaining display for a complete DVD Title track. Only time for current chapter is displayed.

The PQ produced by the D1 is phenomenal on my Marantz S2 projector. However, #1 and #2 above are showstoppers for me if they can't be resolved.

Tom

·
Registered
12,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
"reaches 1080i, next option turns DVI off. One has to go back to the s-video connection to turn on DVI (at which point the s-video pops off)."

Not so on my machine, you hv to be patient. You should be able to cycle round & round. Just keep hitting the TV-Mode button and watch the players display.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.