AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I understand that the bravo d2 won't be out til February.. I want a HDTV DVD, should I wait for the d2 or will Samsung be ok.? is there a better alternative (around the same price)? Thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My first post - woohoo. :)

So, I've been shopping DVD players with DVI for a few weeks and there's very limited options. Here's what I've gleaned. (sub $500)

Samsung HD-931 $250 - black issues with DVD output - fixed by firmware? On the upside it has Faroudja deinterlacers and propably outputs a good component signal.

Momitsu DVD-V880 $250 - Not really a US market product, largely unsupported. Component output ???.

V Inc Bravo D1 $200 - supposed to make the best image but known to be buggy in operation (freezes). Component output is supposed to be poor.

I spoke with V Inc. today. The D2 will be out mid-March; they'll start taking pre-orders mid February. $250

I bought a sony 60WE610 5 weeks ago and it's due in 10 days. I sold my Denon DVM-3700 (no progressive) in anticipation of getting a new player and find myself waffling on what to buy - I had been set on the D1 until I heard about the D2 to be frank.

So, I find myself with a sweet TV coming, SD TV only (I'm a dedicated Tivo user and am waiting on the HD DTivo) and no DVD player. DOH!

I might buy a cheap progressive player and just wait another year - the options are only bound to get better and cheaper - rather than overspend or settle for a compromised unit now.

/MattK

·
Registered
127 Posts
Matt;

The Samsung HD931 does have Faroudja deinterlacing, however, it is applied only to the DVI input, not the component feeds.

Do a search and you'll find many discussions on this issue.

·
Registered
302 Posts
There's the LG DVI/OTA HDTV combo for around $450 if you happen to need a HDTV OTA source. I have 3 components for my home theater. Denon receiver, HS20 projector and the LG. Nice and clean, oh and easy for people to use.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by MattK
My first post - woohoo. :)

I might buy a cheap progressive player and just wait another year - the options are only bound to get better and cheaper - rather than overspend or settle for a compromised unit now.

/MattK
You are a verry patient man .. MattK. I'm so impatient that I think that I'll buy a Sammy but .. I'm still confused .. I'll probably one of these days Circuit City has them for $260.. and then maybe in a year or so I'll get the D3 or something like that.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Guys, I strongly suggest you avoid the Samsung HD 931. I purchased the unit during boxing week and returned it 2 weeks later due to poor performance.

I have a Toshiba 57HDX82 and already own a Panasonic RP82 player which is still tied for the best overall rating for a DVD player on Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity's web site. I thought I'd give the Samsung a try since it was on sale for $250 CDN.

The HD 931 produced an image that exhibited more detail than the Panasonic RP82 but that's where the positives ended. Incidentally, the increase in detail was not evident across all DVDs. Generally speaking, better quality material (usually newer releases) benefitted most and showed more detail. Again, this increase in detail was not night and day, but it was noticeable.

As far as negatives are concerned, there were quite a few. The biggest problem I had was that the HD 931 introduced a lot of grain to the picture. Initially I thought that the increase in resolution just made film grain more noticeable but significant grain was noticeable even in digital movies like Monsters Inc. and AOTC.

The next big drawback was the fact that the Samsung crushed blacks and whites, this was very evident while playing back movies such as Fight Club and Pirates of the Caribbean. Playing back excerpts of these movies on both the Panasonic and Samsung I found that I easily noticed the drawback in dark scenes in the Samsung but the increased detail offered by the Samsung was not as obvious.

I also noticed several interlacing issues on the Samsung that the Panasonic did not exhibit.

Thus, while I would say that the HD 931 is a step in the right direction, it isn't the player that is going to make me retire my Panasonic RP82. In my opinion you are better off waiting until the Bravo D2 and D3 are released as well as the Toshiba model to be released in April which adds HDMI (backward compatible with DVI) and SACD and DVD-A for a very reasonable MSRP of $199.

Samsung and Panasonic will also be releasing new DVI/HDMI players later in the year although I'm not sure the Panny will scale. I think if the Panasonic ends up offering scalling features it may wind up the best bet since it includes Faroudja DcDi, alternatively the Toshiba for it's price and audio features looks very promising.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Based on my experience I absolutely agree with EVT. I really did not like the 931. The grain and edge enhancement that it introduced made it unwatchable for me. It ruined the smooth image that is achievable on my BenQ. I ended up with the D1.

My D1, although not glitch free, has played every commercial DVD I've thrown at it. Sometime you have to load it a few times, but once started it runs fine. Is it a piece of junk? Yeah, design and build quality is definitely low end. But the image is spectacular and light years ahead of what I was getting with the Samsung.

If you can't wait, then try your luck and get a Momitsu or a Bravo. If you can wait, then get one of the 2004 Panasonics or Toshibas with HDMI when available later this year (I will and post my D1 on eBay).

·
Registered
127 Posts
While I agree with EVT that the HD931 is not the answer to our wants/needs/desire for better picture quality, its no that bad either.

On my 42" HD plasma, it gnerates a very high qulaity image, although it does crush the blacks, but I believe not as much as an RP screen. The graininess shoes exactly as EVT said, high qulaity transfers show a definite improved and cleaner picture qual;ity. Pooer transfers show much more graininess which is compounded by the black crush issue.

I too look forward to a better product coming this year. Certainly, the DI or Momitsu are not really the answer right now either.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Does anyone know if the Bravo's remote will have a button to go from 720,1080 because the sammy you have to press it on the dvd player itself. I have a couple days left to return the samsung and i want to make sure the Bravo has a few more features then the samsung so its worth it. Thanks for any input!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Matt,

Take my advice and stay away from Samsung HD931. I have the exact TV you ordered, the Sony KF-60WE610 with the Samsung. I am planning on returning it in a matter of a couple of days.

Using the included DVI cable, I experienced the following issues:

* Black Crush - No ability to differentiate between levels of deep black using DVI. Using component video cables it works just fine.

* Geometry issues - It almost appears that I am watching the movie with the zoom button turned on. Its cropping at least 2 inches of picture on all sides. Component video cables again seem to fix this issue. Samsung support said its a problem with the input settings on the Sony DVI input. I have a Sony tech support guy coming out on Friday to look at it and see if the Samsung support person was right.

* Grainy Picture - Perhaps its related to the zoom issue I just mentioned, but I notice a significant amount of grain on all movies, including Monsters Inc. etc.

*Bad remote - although not a decision maker, lack of button for FF, you need to hold down the chapter advance button, really annoying.

* Switching between 720p, 1080i, and 480p is a button on the device itself, not on the remote. By the way of the three 1080i looks the best although it shouldn't with a set capable of receiving a 720p signal.

More info, my player was manufactured in Oct 2003, so I believe its on the latest firmware. It has a setting for DVI Mode A or B. Samsung support said to be on Mode B with Sony TVs. This was specifically added to address synching issues with Sony TVs.

Hope that helps, stay away.

Marc

·
Registered
34 Posts
anyone actually using component for the hd931? i have a sharp10k projector that upconverts to 720p so my PQ is great. does anyone using component on the 931 and would you share your thoughts?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for all the quality replies folks.

I think I know, on a purely intellectual level, that the D2 is probably the product for me and worth waiting for. I really screwed the pooch by eBaying my Denon too early (oops) - add to that the knowledge that I won't have an HD feed for a few months and the net result is that I'm frustrated that all I'll be able to feed my long awaited new TV is SD DTV.

I'm now trying to convince myself that it's not too dumb to buy something cheap to 'tide me over' until March or whenever the D2 actually shows and then I can give it to my parents or put it on one of the other 4 TV's in the house...

Confused in Connecticut,

MattK :)

·
Registered
127 Posts
High Def:

the easiest way I know is to see whether the box lists a DVI cable included as part of the purchase. Early 931HD's did not have the DVI cable listed (oval sticker on outside of box saying it is included).

The DVI cable was added to newer boxes towards the end of the summer/fall, and therefroe should be the most current boxes.

If you go to a Best Buy store, you will see many open box 931's that did not have the cable (i.e. old/initial players). You will also see unopened boxes that should have the oval sticker stating the DVI cable is included. Thise are the boxes you want to purchase.

·
Registered
3 Posts
They're not accepting pre-orders until mid-February - 714.962.4848

www dot vinc dot com

/MattK

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.