AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does "user-definable linear and non-linear resolutions" means that it will be possible to configure the D3 to output HX-1's 1400 x 788 resolution?

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
The D1 was supposed to be able to output 1400X1050 for the SX21, but it never did work, so even if the answer is yes, I would take it with a grain of salt.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is there any other dvi dvd player that will output 1400 x 788? How will I benefit from feeding HX-1 with its native resolution instead of 720p? Can I expect a noticeable better picture?

·
Registered
986 Posts
i believe you are better off with an HTPC that can be updated, it is not as easy as a dvd player but you can buy one from AVS for less than a grand.

·
Registered
27,102 Posts
I am using an HD LEEZA. THat will certainly do that resolution and excellent deinterlacing.......not to mention it is an excellent video switcher.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was looking for a cheaper solution: just a dvi dvd player which would let me output HX-1's native resolution.

I would like to try this out first and see if I feel the need of an external scaler.

·
Registered
12,276 Posts
The DVD DVI players typically only output 720p or 1080i. What you need is a bit more scaling than that, which is what an HTPC or scaler would take care of easier. Perhaps a company will come out with a scalable DVD player, but since there would be so many resolutions it would have to support, I'm not sure if it would be cost effective for the company.

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
Since V has no support, it is very cost effective for them ;)

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What about HX-1's internal scaler? How does it performs?

Isn't it true that if you're not going to be able to send the projector its native resolution it would be better to send a 480p signal and let the projector's scaler do all the job? I've just assumed that if I send a 720p than HX-1's scaler will have to work anyway, so isn't just one scaler better than two in the image signal (or it doesn't really matter because it is all done in the digital domain)?

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Scaling multiple times is undesireable. If you're not able to send a 1:1 signal to the display, you should send the signal in its native form and let the display do the scaling.

However, scaling up is much more difficult than scaling down, which leads to an exception to this rule.

If you're able to send a higher resolution than the display's native resolution, it's possible that letting the display downscale from an upconverted source might provide better results. If the internal scaler of your display is really bad, this becomes a better option.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Does dvi dvd players allow you to send dvds native resolution through dvi output? As Jason said, don't DVD DVI players typically only output 720p or 1080i?

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
The Bravo D1 has a service menu that you can enter and set up a custom resolution by entering all of the custom timing information similar to setting up powerstrip. Unfortunately this does not work for every resolution, but it does work for some.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by flavioleoni
Does dvi dvd players allow you to send dvds native resolution through dvi output? As Jason said, don't DVD DVI players typically only output 720p or 1080i?
They can send out 480p. They can't send 480i though.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by flavioleoni
Does "user-definable linear and non-linear resolutions" means that it will be possible to configure the D3 to output HX-1's 1400 x 788 resolution?
Yes the Bravo D1 can be configured for custom resolutions such as those from JVC PJs.

The issue is though that these PJ's internal processor must be able to accept these custom resolutions. To ensure successful 1:1 pixel mapping, contact JVC to find the DVI input resolution and PowerStrip-like parameters.

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
The SX21 does accept custom resolutions via JVC specific powerstrip parameters. The problem is, that when entering those parameters into the D1, it defaults to 640X480. I know of no one who has been successful getting the D1 to properly output 1400X1050 to the SX21.

Now I have never tried 1400X788, or the HX-1, so I suppose it is possible that it might work.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Free
The SX21 does accept custom resolutions via JVC specific powerstrip parameters. The problem is, that when entering those parameters into the D1, it defaults to 640X480. I know of no one who has been successful getting the D1 to properly output 1400X1050 to the SX21.
Have you been successful doing this with a DVI PC card?

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jim Noyd
Have you been successful doing this with a DVI PC card?
Yes, absolutely, as have many others!

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
BTW, I have spent hours messing with the D1 to try to get the software to output 1400X1050. I have tried every permutation on the standard powerstrip settings from JVC. Every time when I pressed enter, to accept the settings, the D1 reverted to 640X480. I don't know anyone who made it work.

If you know how to make this work, Jim, I would love to have the secret!

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.