AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The V Inc. Bravo D1 came today--but with no instruction manual. I'm having problems getting it to work with an NEC HT1000. In using the TV mode button on the cruddy remote, (all thru the DVI input) 480p won't sync to the projector. The picture flashes on and then tears, with the screen then going blank. This cycle repeats endlessly. On 720p, the picture originally fills the whole screen, but after about 1 second shrinks down to look like a 2:35 movie on my 16:9 screen, with black bars top and bottom. DVI Gateway (whatever that is) gives me a full screen picture, but at 640x480 non-interlaced only.

I think 720p is probably the best resolution with the HT1000, but I can't figure out how to make it fill the screen. I set up the D1 just like the Pioneer 45i I'm been using: I tell the DVD player I have a 16:9 screen and the projector I have a 4:3 screen and use a Panomorph lens to squish down the image to proper proportions. This works great with the Pioneer.

Any suggestions? Maybe there's something in the manual that solves my problem.

Thanks,

MIKE

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
Mike,

I have this combo and tried it today. I haven't touched the TV/Mode button as I'm just doing everything through the menus. I couldn't really find any difference between 480p and 720p, but theoritically I think 480p should be better since then the picture only gets scaled once, instead of up and then down. I just set the D1 to a 16:9 projector as you did and then push the Aspect button on the HT1000 remote and pick the aspect ratio that looks right (usually V-Zoom).

I didn't have any problem with things syncing. The only problem I've found is that the black level seems to be very high. I can tell this by the fact that the area just outside of 2.35:1 movies has the mirrors on to some extent. When we walk up to the screen the black areas of the image should either have no mirrors toggling on or just a very small number of them (right at the threshold). The images look good, but I figure I'm seeing probably 400:1 or 500:1 CR with the D1 and the HT1000.

--Darin

·
Banned
3,477 Posts
Hey Darin, what's the verdict on the panamorph and the HT1000. If you want you can PM me. Any bowing or anomolies that are hard to work with??

Also does the DVI on the Bravo look better than a different DVD player? I have mine coming on Mon or Tue.

Thanks,

Scott

·
Registered
132 Posts
Darin:

It sounds like from your post that the D1 is not an ideal match for the HT1000. That's disappointing; I'm going to wait to see if other HT1000 users have the same impression before I get one.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Darin,

Can you get the D1 to send a full panel image to the HT1000 (for the Panomorph to squish down to proper dimensions)? That's what I can't seem to get it to do. If so, what screen settings did you use on the D1 and HT1000? If I can talk to a live person at V Inc Monday, I'm going to see if they can fax or e-mail me the instruction manual; I think I must be missing something.

MIKE

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by noah katz
Can't the black level be set on the HT1000 to get full contrast?
I haven't found a way to do this, but I'll keep looking. Much of the control disappears with DVI input.
Quote:
Originally posted by scotty
Hey Darin, what's the verdict on the panamorph and the HT1000. If you want you can PM me. Any bowing or anomolies that are hard to work with??
I like it. I haven't even really tried to go without it, since I'm still wanting more resolution. It doesn't bother me too much, but I find that I like to sit at 2x or so even with the lens. This is probably due partially to getting used to the smooth image on my D-ILA.

With the zoom set to give the biggest image there is some bowing and less with zoom set to smallest. It isn't too bad and the feature that lets us turn off some lines can help get things close on the masking (doesn't eliminate bowing, though). I think the biggest issue is the image offset of the HT1000 and how this will all work in your room. With my projector about 16' from my screen I think the image offset is about 30". I raised the back of the projector to decrease this a little and then the top of the image does come in some. The processor in the HT1000 and resolution might be good enough to get away with some keystoning, but I haven't tried that. One thing that is good is the the focus still looks very uniform. More than I saw on a Sharp 10000 without an extra lens, but that one may have been defective.

I'm thinking that I will probably go with ceiling mount and my ceiling goes up about 1' extra from the height at the walls, so that will help me with the offset. I need to order a ceiling mount now.

BTW: If I can't get the black level set right with the D1 through DVI then I think we should lobby NEC to add some more controls.

--Darin

·
Registered
12,980 Posts
"Much of the control disappears with DVI input."

What no gamma or basic Picture controls? contrast/bright/color/hue? I'd be very surprised if these weren't available.

·
Premium Member
4,708 Posts
You'll have contrast and brightness but NO color or hue, Dvi is what's on the DVD as intended. Gamma may still be there and probably is.

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by guitarman
"Much of the control disappears with DVI input."

What no gamma or basic Picture controls? contrast/bright/color/hue? I'd be very surprised if these weren't available.
Good news. I was hoping that the problem was just that I wasn't familiar enough with the HT1000 menus. The Gamma control is enabled, but the White Balance wasn't. I finally figured out that I had to uncheck the color temperature box and then the White Balance became selectable. I found that if I used Dynamic for the gamma then I needed to change the brightness setting for each of the colors to -12. If I used Black Level for the gamma, then -13 worked.

One of my tests is the scene from LOTR (using the extended version DVD) just after they get rid of the Cave Troll. As they are running there is a pan across the bottom of one of the pillars. The detail in this pillar was definitely there. I think I'll quite using TheaterTek for the HT1000 and just use it for my D-ILA, which doesn't have a DVI input. I've found that the pans are a little smoother from the D1 than from my HTPC and I believe there is less noise in the image.

--Darin

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Has anyone using the D1 with the HT1000 been able to access the resolution controls on the HT1000 to change to native resolution with DVI inputs? My resolution box is "greyed out." 720p ought to work at the native resolution, but that may mean I can't use the Panomorph.

MIKE

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
I use colorfacts to set the color temp at 6500 =/- 75 degrees with DVI. By appropriate choice of rgb contrast controls overall contrast ratio is over 1500. It is much more important to get a smooth flat gray scale than the highest contrast ratio.

Higher contrast ratio leads to the red running out of gas at 90-100 ire.

I use the normal gamma which gives me after calibration 2.0 gamma.

Native for the HT1000 is 1024x768 @60Hz.

Calibration and bulb brightness change with bulb age.

Joel

·
Registered
12,980 Posts
Joel, exactly what numbers did you come up with for white balance?

I just got my D1 this morning, been playing with it for a couple of hours. First thing I noticed is the white level being high and you must bring down the white balance for RGB. With the HT1000 RGB had to be brought back to minus 15 from stock. At this level and gamma set to Normal w/720 chosen the picture is perfect.

Like previous viewers have said, "a smooth film like picture" but don't let the smooth make you thing it's not sharp. Images are perfectly sharp and colors are beautifully done by the D1. Back to Insurrection test which the player is handling nicely also.

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jmschnur
I use colorfacts to set the color temp at 6500 =/- 75 degrees with DVI. By appropriate choice of rgb contrast controls overall contrast ratio is over 1500. It is much more important to get a smooth flat gray scale than the highest contrast ratio.
Joel,

My initial experience is that the correct settings for my HTPC over DVI are much different than for the D1 over DVI. I'm thinking that I will need to use 2 different user settings and select the appropriate one.

--Darin

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.