AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just hooked up the surrounds in my HT this week. On cable everything is fine. But when I play a DVD the surrounds are silent. I set the the Bravo to digital sound (even tried analog), have tried both digital coax and optical, and tried using another input on the receiver. Tried different DVD's, and made sure the sound was set right on each. Nothing works. Any ideas before I call V?

·
Registered
344 Posts
Sounds like a receiver problem - not the Bravo - There is very little chance of the main speakers working and the surrounds not. I do not think the Bravo has the abiltioy to remove the surroudn encoding from the digital stream.

1. Make sure speaker wires are connected. (stupid but I kicked mine loose last week)

2. Set Bravo to digital out

3. Check surround mode in receiver. Make sure it is set for 5.1 and not front speakers only or something like that.

4. Check the volume settings on the surrounds in the receiver.

Questions:

Do the surrounds work for other sources?

Can you hear the surrounds when using the test tones generated by the receiver for calibration?

·
Registered
344 Posts
Hmmmm. It's a mystery. Some receivers allow different surround settings for different sources. Check that. Then I am stumped.

Good luck.

·
23,039 Posts
If the D1 is sending the encoded DD or DTS 5.1 stream to the receiver via

optical or coax and the fronts (and center) work and not the surrounds,

it's not a D1 problem. Are you using a DD 2.0 encoded DVD?

larry

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.