AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I want to output 1:1 from my Bravo D1 (or at any resolution higher than 480i for that matter), doesn't that put all of the burden of processing on the Bravo? This would include de-interlacing (i.e. interlaced to progressive conversion) and scaling, correct? I'm figuring to do a decent job, de-interlacing must be done prior to scaling.

Shouldn't the deinterlacer and scaler in my $3K projector be better than in my $200 DVD player?

Eric.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
That is the point of 1:1 pixel mapping, to take the PJ scalar out of play. Which is better? Let your eyes be the judge. ;)

Comparing the prices really doesn't work, a lot of that $3K is going towards other parts of the PJ. Same for the Bravo, but as a percentage it's probably a lot closer than 15:1.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Well, Bravo sure didn't spend much of that money on a D/A converter. Whatever that thing has in it for outputting S-Video really stinks. I'm still in the process of getting a DVI cable long enough to make it between my projector and the player, so I tried to watch the Two Towers on my Bravo using S-video.

It locked up once, but I pressed on. --on edit: hehe no pun intended-- I noticed that the picture looked "dead" - sort of washed out with little color. I couldn't believe that the transfer was that bad so I popped the disk in my Playstation 2 just to see. I ended up watching it on my Playstation because it looked that much better.

I've never seen that much of a difference between DVD players before. Ugh. Definitely plan on using the DVI.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I really love my bravo, honest I do! My main point was that 1:1 mapping not only takes the PJ's scaling out, but must take out the inverse telecine (pull down) as well. I believe theirs a genesis chip in the HS10, which is no slouch. It's just amazing that the inexpensive Bravo works as well as it does!

·
Registered
426 Posts
I didn't mean to poo poo the Bravo (well I did mean to poo poo the analog output). I haven't seen the DVI output yet - that is what I bought it for.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.