AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At various times in this forum, I have read postings that refer to a "break-in" period for newly purchased speakers. Is there a general rule of thumb for this period? I have not decided on the speakers I will be getting, but do plan on buying some soon. Just wondering if there is a guideline for this break-in period.

Thanks much,

Steve

·
Registered
11,443 Posts
Typically the manufacturer will state a specific break-in period. However, I am in the camp that doesn't believe in break-in...well, at least not the 100's of hours kind. In my opinion the speakers are fully broken in after a few hours of the components loosening up. After that, if you still don't like them, I say take them back. I also believe that manufacturers tell you their equipment needs 100's of hours of break-in so your ears get used to them, thus keeping the product. It's a marketing ploy.

That's just my $0.02 and YMMV.

·
Banned
873 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuance /forum/post/15444649

However, I am in the camp that doesn't believe in break-in...well, at least not the 100's of hours kind. In my opinion the speakers are fully broken in after a few hours of the components loosening up. After that, if you still don't like them, I say take them back. I also believe that manufacturers tell you their equipment needs 100's of hours of break-in so your ears get used to them, thus keeping the product. It's a marketing ploy.

Agree 110%!!! Down with break-in mythology!!!

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
has anyone seen a study (link?) that shows break in is actually a myth or not? IE: measure the speaker the 1st second its turned on, 1 hr, 30 hrs, 100hrs etc?

i'm not sure I don't or do believe in "break in" on speakers and I have sold them for the last 11 years now for a living.

·
Registered
15,247 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chu Gai /forum/post/15445718

Read this .

Very informative post, thanks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.