1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
15,503 Posts
There's always decaf, y'know.

·
Registered
57 Posts
It may not say it in the owner's manual on my Panasonic, but what made me do it was the separate white paper from Panasonic that discusses it. After all 100 hours of taking it easy on a set isn't that long. I told myself after that I would not baby it any more. So far so good.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I love it when the whitepaper says:

"After one-thousand hours, panels are much less likely to experience image burn-in"

Its there way out just incase you follow the directions to a tee yet get burn-in. Just enjoy the tv.... it is afterall just a tv.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Yes, they are expensive and you should do your best to take care of them (money don't grow on trees, at least not where I live
). At the same time don't get excessive and start worshipping the darn thing.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Why not break it in? Even if it is worthless, is the little patience worth peace of mind?

I think so.

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
While your all doing that break in thing, dont forget to "Wash rinse and repeat"

Over the years I have owned about 3 trillion plasma's (give or take a few).

Plasma break in is something our great grandparents used to do on their plasma's

40 or 50 years ago.

I break in my plasma's by turning them on.

Davyo

·
Banned
10,928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankie1 /forum/post/0

It Doesn't Exist. Enjoy Your Sets When You Buy Them. Quote Me Language From Your Owners Maunal if It Exists.

Dude... or should I say doobie dude... I recommend you set your panel to torch mode & game on it all day long every day for the next 6 months... and then report back to us with your impressions regarding permanent image retention (a.k.a. burn in).

·
Super Moderator
21,734 Posts

Quote:

It Doesn't Exist. Enjoy Your Sets When You Buy Them. Quote Me Language From Your Owners Maunal if It Exists.

I disagree but you are entitled to your opinion

you might want to spend a little more time with the experts here on AVS before you make this statement

·
Premium Member
18,327 Posts

Quote:

This is a very irresponsible post. Just because you don't believe in a break-in period doesn't mean it's not a good idea. Most experts agree that a PDP should be broken in. The fact that my Panasonic Plasma suffered severe IR during the first weeks but was virtually non-existant once it was a month or two old proved to me that PDPs are indeed at risk of burn-in early in their life and that the phosphors do get more resistant as the weeks go by. If the experts say we should break-in our Plasmas, then i'll be listening to them and not to you. Anyone who does take your bad advice deserves what they get.

The manufacturers know all about burn-in, but they don't want to scare people away from their product by making new ownership more difficult and confusing so they're not going to discuss it in their manual. They do say to limit the use of black bars in the image, and they cover their asses by saying burn-in is not covered by warranty so why would they care if you break your Plasma in or not?

·
Registered
278 Posts

Quote:

How can you say this? It's a bit irresponsible to spew this blabber. An innocent may read this, take it as gospel, then ruin their set.

Actually it does exist, I've seen it. While shopping for a recent purchase I found IR/burn-in on 2/3 of the Pioneer plasmas at each of my 3 local BB's. Also saw it on the Samsungs. I had to visit multiple stores to convince myself of what I was seeing. Also note that I could not see any of this on the Panasonics which was 1 factor in my purchasing the Panny.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I Agree with the OP. I own 3-plasmas and the only "break-in" process I follow is by leaving them ON for more than 12-to-16-hours straight the first day I get them home. My time is WAY to valuable to be wasted babysitting a TV set during the first 100-hours. Those who want to do it, go ahead., I don't worship any particular brand and I certainly don't follow such obsessions.

Mine have closed caption burn-in, What I'm I going to do? return it for a new one or any other brand until I'm satisfied with a minimum level of Burn-in? No! I keep them, Because I knew the risk that came with owning the technology. The only way to test such things as "Improve phosphors" is to test them, well that's exactly what I'm doing--testing them for 12-hours or more during the first 3-days.

·
Super Moderator
21,734 Posts
try to get an ISF calibrator to come to your house to calibrate a new plasma....

he will not come until it has at least 100-200 hours of use because they know there is a break In period

·
Registered
492 Posts
A burn in period is very prudent!

Panasonic have stated that they do a "pre sale" burn/break in period at the factory.

This is done to greatly reduce the chance of screen burn with the new phosphurs.(proving the theory)

Us doing a second burn/break in further reduces the chance of screen burn.

You can see the difference between a brand new screen and one with a few hundred hours.

The new screen is so much brighter, and you can spot slight after images.

Screen burn, and image retention can vary greatly between brands.

Panasonic seems to be the most resistant, but other brands are not so robust.

I would agree our second burn/break period may not be needed if you can guarantee no static images.

As the phosphurs cure/settle in, they are much less likely to suffer screen burn.

The lower settings are there just in case a static image is present, no harm is done.

An ISF calibration may pointless when new, as all the values can change (how ever slight) as the phosphurs cure/settle.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.