AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i know that a minimum of 100 hours is needed to break in a new plasma...my question is how fast can a break in be safely done...can you just run a break in dvd for 100-200 hours straight or does the screen need a break in beteween...i dont mind not watching the tv during break in and i dont pay an electrical bill(included in rent)...any recommendations...thanks

· Registered
3,825 Posts
It's like a car....you can drive it 1,000 miles in a day or two, but that's not normal.

Watch TV regularly....you'll be done in a few weeks. Don't accelerate it to 5-6 days by running a pattern DVD for 24 hours a day.

Better to run normal DVD's or just have the TV on to a normal HD/SD channel while you're out of the house.

Again, do most of the hours normally. You'll be done in 3-5 weeks. And the TV should have a diversity of sources -- HD, SD, DVD, VCR, etc -- and also some long viewing sessions and some short-ones, too.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
how long per day can it be left on?....my normal tv veiwing is about 8-10hrs a day...sometimes all day on the weekends....would it be safe to play a break in dvd when im at work and still come home and normal veiwing?....is breaking it in at 200+ hours more beneficial?

· Registered
3,063 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrivera78 /forum/post/0

how long per day can it be left on?....my normal tv veiwing is about 8-10hrs a day...sometimes all day on the weekends....would it be safe to play a break in dvd when im at work and still come home and normal veiwing?....is breaking it in at 200+ hours more beneficial?

I ran Discovery HD Theater from the minute I woke up until bedtime and was done with the break-in in less than a week. This channel runs widescreen, minimal logo, and varied programming 24 hours a day. And you dont have to worry about DVD players locking up or other rare but painful issues.

Discovery HD = THE Break-in channel!

· Registered
4,299 Posts
I have never understood this whole plasma break-in thing, over the years I have owned many plasma's, I have never done any kind of break-in thing and have never had any problems at all from not doing it.

Davyo

· Registered
3,825 Posts

Quote:

What if the power goes off and then a start-up screen is on for hours?

If you're not watching the TV or at least nearby, don't have it on.

This whole "I have to get past the breakin period ASAP" mentality is a little misplaced. We are talking about going easy on games and having the B & C turned down to 35-50% of maximum instead of 60-75% of maximum.

It's not like you can't enjoy the TV during breakin.

And if you are watching a special event -- like the premier of "24" or a big NFL playoff -- turn up the settings for 2-3 hours to what you really want them at, and then once the event is over, turn it back down. I did that with a MNF game I had friends over for about 2 weeks into my breakin period.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i dont mind the length of time it may take to break in a tv...im just wondering how much the plasma can take so that i dont abuse it too much while in the break in period...this tv will be going in the living room and will be watched alot....will it do fine if im watching 8-10 hours per day and maybe 14hrs+ on the wekends during break in

thanks for the replys!

· Registered
1,283 Posts
Although there are risks leaving a break-in DVD running while the TV is unattended, such as a power outage or the disc freezing, I wouldn't think that simply running your TV for extended hours is problematic. If anything, it would bring to light any possible defects or issues that the TV could have in a shorter time frame. If the TV fails while breaking it in then its a dud and needs replacement. That being said 8-10 hours a day seems fine. I can't personally confirm that leaving a plasma on for 4-5 days straight is without potential risk, however. I intend to use the 'everything in moderation' approach and break-in my 9UK 6-10 hours per day.

· Registered
3,825 Posts

Quote:

i dont mind the length of time it may take to break in a tv...im just wondering how much the plasma can take so that i dont abuse it too much while in the break in period...this tv will be going in the living room and will be watched alot....will it do fine if im watching 8-10 hours per day and maybe 14hrs+ on the wekends during break in thanks for the replys!

Yeah, that's OK.....just make sure you have a surge protector from the get-go....I was using my TV about 6-8 hours during weekdays and about 12-14 on NFL Sundays.

I think my hours of operation was running an average of about 7 hour per day since I got the set, last time I checked.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks for all the help guys.....i feel alot more confident now...

quick ?....where can i find/purchase a calibration disk...which one is better...i want to run a calibration disk first and then in a few months get a professional to do it...thanks again guys

· Registered
1,283 Posts

Quote:

thanks for all the help guys.....i feel alot more confident now...

quick ?....where can i find/purchase a calibration disk...which one is better...i want to run a calibration disk first and then in a few months get a professional to do it...thanks again guys

I believe it's advisable to run a calibration disc after the break-in period. Your picture will adjust during the break-in, so settings may have to be changed again afterwards. AVIA Guide to Home Theater may be more widely used and more user friendly. Digital Video Essentials (DVE) is more technically inclined, but offers different features than AVIA. AVIA costs a little more. One thing to consider is that AVIA was made in 1999, whereas DVE is more current. I've used AVIA for a CRT. I think I will purchase DVE for my plasma.

· Registered
1,223 Posts
I plan on running my TV in Dynamic Mode "vivid color contrast at 100%" using the DVD break in DVD for 15 hours a day for the first 200 hours.

The idea is that I will rapidly age the phosphers and components in that first 200 hours making it less prone to image retention, and any long term problems will show up in my return window.

Anything bad about this?

I know you wouldn't wanna run a car at 100 miles an hour for 1500 miles the first day.

· Registered
2,901 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyo /forum/post/9458308

I have never understood this whole plasma break-in thing, over the years I have owned many plasma's, I have never done any kind of break-in thing and have never had any problems at all from not doing it.

Davyo

Same here..

· Registered
2,901 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrivera78 /forum/post/9458821

i dont mind the length of time it may take to break in a tv...im just wondering how much the plasma can take so that i dont abuse it too much while in the break in period...this tv will be going in the living room and will be watched alot....will it do fine if im watching 8-10 hours per day and maybe 14hrs+ on the wekends during break in

thanks for the replys!

How about not abusing it all and just using it for what you normally would? Why is this such a foreign concept to new plasma owners..

· Registered
1,286 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrivera78 /forum/post/9458007

LOL, some people really watch a LOT of TV

I find it hard to imagine that you go to work (assuming a normal 8 hour day) and come home and watch another 8-10 hours of TV. Not making fun, just sayin'.

· Registered
1,223 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemama127 /forum/post/12837143

How about not abusing it all and just using it for what you normally would? Why is this such a foreign concept to new plasma owners..

because we want to see if the image retetnion and problems ca be settled in our 30 day return window time frame. Time is of the essance.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.