AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to get the 58 inch panosonic plasma and I see in the official thread there is a break in period recommended. It is my understanding that i leave the slides on for 100 hours. Should this be straight or intermittent.

Also i have an htpc, a ps3 and a fios set top box on my current samsung lcd.

After the break in period will i be able to use all these without risk of burn in. I guess i'm concerned with using the computer as I also use it to surf the internet and other funtions as well but obviously there can be potential for icons to be still on the screen so i would be concerned.

I know its one of the best tv's but i'm scared of ruining it and i know this is the best place for info. I thought about going with sony or samsung 3d lcd so i wouldn't worry but i think i can manage if i follow directions carefully and take care of my set

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
.. i asked that question a couple years ago to D-Nice (Forum expert/calibrator) for my Pioneer. believe he responsed could be done all at once. started it, but instead, began merging other media also (DVDs, Network shows/cartoons) & the 100hr came & passed w/o a thought. you may want to try that approach; its worked well & no smiggen of IR; of course, Pioneer's are known for handling IR very well.

the question regarding PC use has been asked; believe its a good habit to turn-on a good screen-saver w/i WinXP or 7 or just set to turn black background; also hide lower screen taskbar.

a good gradual break-in will be all that's necessary; if you receive a TV w/o any pre-existing/hidden problems, it should last you many years.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel'son /forum/post/19531332

.. i asked that question a couple years ago to D-Nice (Forum expert/calibrator) for my Pioneer. believe he responsed could be done all at once. started it, but instead, began merging other media also (DVDs, Network shows/cartoons) & the 100hr came & passed w/o a thought. you may want to try that approach; its worked well & no smiggen of IR; of course, Pioneer's are known for handling IR very well.

the question regarding PC use has been asked; believe its a good habit to turn-on a good screen-saver w/i WinXP or 7 or just set to turn black background; also hide lower screen taskbar.

a good gradual break-in will be all that's necessary; if you receive a TV w/o any pre-existing/hidden problems, it should last you many years.

Thanks i appreciate the response. I mean 100 hours is like 4 or 5 days straight. I can do it but it would be a bit of a nuissance but thanks for answering my questions. I guess i'll hide the taskbar and have a black background

·
Registered
794 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevydude26 /forum/post/19531850

also is there a timer on there that will tell me exactly how many hours have passed? I mean 100 hours is pretty much 4 days straight but it would be nice to check on the tv

It is not required to run the slides for 100 hours straight. It is done that way to get those hours in as quickly as possible with even wear across the panel. Should be able to watch full screen content normally and then run the slides during hours you aren't watching the TV, again to get in the hours. Keep in mind that 100 hours is not a magic number, IR will still be an issue. IR becomes less of an issue as the plasma ages but it will remain an issue even after 100's of hours just not as annoying as one when the plasma is new.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts