AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally finished my 85L Dayton DVC subwoofer.

Do I need to break in the driver, or can I just start using it?

Also, I am using the PE 250 watt plate amp. I am unsure where to start with the settings on the amp itself. I am letting my AV receiver handle the crossover, and I have the Pioneer 53TX so I plan on letting the receiver handle the calibration as well.

Should I just set the dials on the amp (volume, phase, etc) in the middle and start from there? I've never owned a sub, so if you guys know of any good reading material on getting to know your sub/setting it up, let me know.

Thanks.

·
Registered
296 Posts
The PE amp does a great job, especially for the price. You don't need to specifically run break-in tones, using the sub normally will accomplish the same thing. If you're using the receiver to handle the crossover frequency, turn the crossover frequency knob on the amp all the way to the right. This way you don't have two crossovers interacting with each other. Phase is tough to set. Avia has a test tone that's helpful with phase, but it requires a helper. Play a bass test tone and have someone slowly turn the phase knob. Where the sound is loudest is close to the proper phase. Volume at halfway might be a little loud. :D

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Playing movies and music will naturally break in a subwoofer. If you turn the volume pot all the way up, then back it down a bit (usually the knob will be at 3/4 the way up) you are OK. Avia's disc says calibrate at 85dB, and Video Essentials says 75dB. Using two crossovers is counter-productive as Kevin said.

If you go to www.mksound.com and read through some of their sub owners manuals, they discuss how to get these settings right.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.