AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 205 Posts

·
Registered
13,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Claude Greiner of Dish Retailer has posted pictures from Team Summit of the new, 26" "Superdish" for HDTV that is able to receive 110 and 119, plus either the 105 or 121 slots. New, more realistic mockup images of the "Superdish" can be found here and here , with the closeup of the triple LNB right here . Team Summit is the conference Dish Network holds every year for dealers to show and demonstrate its upcoming technologies.

According to the official announcement right here , the new Superdish will provide capacity for up to 50 HDTV channels, primarily from the new 105 degree location. Among the first new channels to use the "Superdish" will be HDNet and HDNet Movies, coming this fall. The "Superdish" will eliminate the need for a second dish for HDTV from Dish Network.

Dish Retailer has also posted details and pictures from Team Summit on the upcoming Dish Network 811 receiver (replaces 6000), as well as the 211 and 921 HDTV receivers. According to what he was told, the Dish Network 811 HDTV receiver will retail for less than the 6000 ($299), but will ship with OpenTV, a faster EPG, integrated 8PSK and 8VSB, DishPro support, plus DVI and component ouputs in a silver chassis. It's reportedly coming later this year.

Dish Network also announced new "Dish Pro Plus" technology. Dish Pro Plus allows a single cable to support dual tuners. Thus, rather than having to run two cables from a dish or switch, you'd only need to run one cable to support dual tuners. DP Plus switches also integrates the DishPro legacy adapter, eliminating the need for an adapter to support older hardware. The technology will be integrated into dishes , as well as future switches (click for wiring diagram).

Update #2: According to the Dish Network Tech Chat on July 14:

- Superdish will be available this fall

- 6000 receiver supports the Superdish

- New 811 HDTV receiver (w/ OTA) announced at $299

- New 921 HDTV PVR announced at $999

- Future HDTV will be at 105, not 121. A satellite is moving to 105.

- Cinemax HD, Starz HD, and more are coming, still talking to ESPN

- Superdish will not be free, but there will be upgrade program

- No HD going to 110, 105 (single dish solution) is the slot for all HDTV

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
BFDTV, what is available at the 121 sat location?

·
Registered
760 Posts
Any word on the HD-PVR921 connecting to Mitsubishi sets vis Firewire?

·
Registered
13,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Pocatello,
Quote:
what is available at the 121 sat location?
Nothing yet. The Echostar IX satellite doesn't launch to 121 degrees until later this month (assuming everything is on schedule), and you're not going to see any programming from that slot until the satellite is in orbit and operational.

Update: Looks like the E*IX launch has been delayed until at least July.

·
Registered
13,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hot,

I think the technical presentations are tomorrow. So if any dealer in attendence knew to ask that question, then we might get an answer.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Yea know, we've seen many pictures of the 921 and nobody can buy one yet and we still don't know when they will be available. Dish has become the Microsoft of the DBS world, keep showing vaporware and when it finally comes out it's full of bugs.

Sorry, but I can't get excited anymore about anything that Dish is showing until you can actually purchase it.

·
Registered
6,557 Posts
I have a little more confidence in Dish than that. It will still be cool to see what Dish does with IX. FYI: www.dbstalk.com has a bit of info on the 811 HDTV Dish receiver. Its funny that the one pic of the All in one box has the pic of a Dish 6000 on the box.

I would like to think that the Dish 6000 will be history by the time that box hits the street. Unless of course the 811 uses the 6000's chassis.

·
Registered
760 Posts
thanks

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rad
Yea know, we've seen many pictures of the 921 and nobody can buy one yet and we still don't know when they will be available. Dish has become the Microsoft of the DBS world, keep showing vaporware and when it finally comes out it's full of bugs.
How do you know it will be "full of bugs"?

Funny how everyone forgets all the delays from so many other companies. I seem to recall incredible delays in the Toshiba HD enabled DirecTV STBs a few years ago. I'm sure a list a mile long can be compiled of companies that have had very long delays in released HD equipment.

Quote:
Sorry, but I can't get excited anymore about anything that Dish is showing until you can actually purchase it.
OK.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jerry G
How do you know it will be "full of bugs"?

Funny how everyone forgets all the delays from so many other companies. I seem to recall incredible delays in the Toshiba HD enabled DirecTV STBs a few years ago. I'm sure a list a mile long can be compiled of companies that have had very long delays in released HD equipment.

Because of past experience with Dish hardware, my 6000 and 501 reboot more then Windows XP systems that I use (and that's four different boxes). Before moving to Dish I had three different models of DirecTV boxes, including a Mits HD STB and NEVER had as many problems with those boxes as I've had with Dish products. Also, I don't remember running to the same amount of delays with DirecTV products that we have with Echostar. Maybe if Echostar would let other manufactures design/manfacture there boxes all along the consumer would benefit by having a better selection of hardware available to use.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Ok now for my silly little question.

Will the SuperDish system be able to provide HD for more than one HD monitor? I currently have the Dish 500 system (2 dishes, a 301 receiver and a 6000 receiver) for my home. The $1499 for a 40" monitor and receiver seems like a pretty reasonable deal. I'm assuming with the appropriate SW's and cabling I would be able to get HD on two 6000 receivers as well as an additional 301 receiver (for another room)? Anyone?

-T

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Thanks for the link, Ken!

You are keeping me up to date!

What great news!

I love E*!

Yippee!

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
I'm as excited as a puppy when the master comes home. I better find some kleenex to sit on. :)

This is great news and puts a little teeth into Dish's claim that they will be the leader in HDTV. It's just too bad, that in a climate of instant gratification the rollout of HD can be charted with a lethargic dung beetle.

·
Registered
800 Posts
I haven't been paying enough attention. Since when is 121 West a DBS slot? Those are supposed to be spaced 9 degrees apart, aren't they? When was approval granted for DBS frequencies at 121? Won't that that be problematic?

Or will they be using 11.7-12.2 GHz Ku-band for that?

·
Registered
13,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
rrg,

You are correct, 121 West isn't a DBS slot. Dish will be using KU-FSS capacity there (32 transponders @ ~120 watts), much like that used by ExpressVu (originally), Starchoice, and the now-defunct Primestar. But there is nothing preventing a DBS provider from integrating DBS and DTH service. The 121 slot is just two degrees part from KU-FSS slots at 119 and 123, which is why the larger 26" elliptical dish is required. By comparison, the Dish500 is 18x21" and the DirecTV dish is 18x24".

The 121 slot will be served the Echostar IX satellite. Originally, this satellite was to launch this month, but technical problems have delayed the launch until July, according to NASA. After launch, there will be at least a few weeks of testing before service is offered from that location.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Actually ExpressVu is using DBS frequencies at both 91 and 82 degrees; it's Star Choice who are using Ku-band at 107 and 111. (Though EVu originally was using Ku-band on Anik E2.) Is that not right?

No special handling is required at the receiver end, I presume (apart from the usual satellite switching hardware? That is, the downlink frequency difference will be handled and hidden by the LNB or LNBF so that the receiver doesn't have to know or care about it?

·
Registered
13,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
rrg,

Thanks, I meant Starband. Anik E1 is the KU-FSS satellite at 118.7, and it was originally used by ExpressVu, which is why I had them on my mind.

I'd guess the special LNBF for 121 would handle the differences, without any need for further equipment changes (beyond possibly a receiver software update), but we'll have to wait and see to be certain.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Is their something I'm missing? DTV already has a 3 sat system, and it does not have the capacity for " upto 50 HDTV channels". So what is the magic (or marketing) in the ability of E* to get this much more?

Mike

·
Registered
13,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
MikeKO,

DirecTV may be able to use three satellite slots, but it doesn't have them all to itself. DirecTV has 100% of the capacity at 101, 9% of the capacity at 110, and 34% of the capacity at 119. Dish Network has the rest--- 91% of 110, 66% of 119, and 100% of 121 (11.7-12.2 GHz).

1 - 20 of 205 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.