AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have my hands on the internal memo to sears management describing how Voom will operate in Sears. I will post the document as soon as I scan it. Here is what I can tell you from what is in the document. Sears will not be selling the Equipment. They are selling a starter kit like comcast does in most Best-buy Stores on the Upper east coast. The kit will cost $49.99 the other $700.00 you will pay to Voom just before your install. There will be no self installs so if you think you can save the install cost by doing it yourself, stop thinking. I will have info on the equipment and the official plans by Sunday. If someone can get that info before Sunday please post it here.

UPDATE: Here is a link to the scaned Documents.

Tiff format

Word Document (OCR Scan)

·
Registered
6,557 Posts
This seems to keep in line with the Cable company mentality of Voom's origin. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

Will there be a monthly fee for the remote control?

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jacmyoung
Will this limited to the East Coast only?
The remote fee or the service?;)

I believe that the NW is the only area that will not be able to receive this service yet.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,645 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jacmyoung
Will this limited to the East Coast only?
No, it will be marketed nationally.

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ken H
No, it will be marketed nationally.
Ken,

Wasn't it posted on another thread that the NW was not going to be able to receive this intially?

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,645 Posts
Not that I know of. There will be a reception problem for some West coast residents, due to the look angle, which is very low in the sky.

In spite of that, 61.5 from Dish is received by a number of West Coast residents. It will come down to your specific location.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by DarthJedi
I will post the document as soon as I scan it.

UPDATE: Here is a link to the scaned Documents.

Tiff format

Word Document (OCR Scan)
I posted the original documents.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
What happens if you need two receivers ? It doesn't mention anything about getting or installing two receivers. Does anyone know anything about that ?

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Scott G
What happens if you need two receivers ? It doesn't mention anything about getting or installing two receivers. Does anyone know anything about that ?
I'm sorry, I asked my source the same thing and he did not have any information about it. Sears' workers really don't know anything about the service, they have it in their Oct. Action plan but have no clue on what VOOM is. If any of you want to do some leg work, here is some key Questions to ask if you run into a wall.

1. Can you please check your OCT. Action Plan?
  2. Did your VOOM display get scheduled for an install?[/list=1]

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Thanks DarthJedi.

I am starting to wonder if this service is only going to be for one receiver, and one outlet only. I have never seen any information anywhere about a second receiver. That would leave it out for all of us with multiple HDTV's.

Scott

·
Registered
13,531 Posts
There is nothing that would limit this service to a single receiver. It is a DBS service, so they will be using standard DBS LNBs and standard DBS switches. The dish, switch, and cabling should be no different than that used for a standard DirecTV 101 install.

Now what I want to know...what is this 991 DVD player they mentioned for stores that are unable to receive the 61.5 demo signal?

·
Registered
13,531 Posts
jacmy,

I imagine they'll be using at least 18" dishes since they will rely on 8PSK modulation. If they want to use lower FEC rates than 2/3 with 8PSK, they'll have to use a dish larger than 18".

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
The 18" is the standard dish like DirecTV uses for one LNB, correct ? That does not mean it will be the oval dish with the three LNB's correct ? Sorry for the novice question, but I am not sure if the 18" dish is the small dish or the bigger oval dish.

Thanks,

Scott

·
Registered
13,531 Posts
Scott,

DirecTV uses a 18" standard (not oval) dish with dual LNB for those customers that do not require 110 and 119 for international programming, HDTV, and certain locals.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I am sorry if my question was confusing. I was talking about VOOM. Will they be using a standard 18" dish with just one LNB since they only have one satellite or the oval dish ?

Thanks,

Scott

·
Registered
13,531 Posts
Scott,

Well, I expect they'll use the standard (non oval) 18" dish. It is possible that they could deploy a larger dish to support a lower FEC rate, but I doubt they will do that.

I still remain very skeptical about how they are going to fit all that HDTV on 11 8PSK transponders. The math just doesn't work out, unless they are going to use substantially more compression than DirecTV on their HD. Assuming 30 HDTV channels (as per Sears document) with 11 8PSK transponders and a 18" dish, that will only give them around 11Mbps to 12Mbps per HD channel. That's just not enough for good quality on most 1920x1080i video-based content.

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
"With the October 2003 VOOM launch,VOOM will deliver 28 30 high definition channels of which 21 will be exclusive (see consumer literature for programming details)"

What i want to know is, what are the other 7 or 9 channels?

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I figure the other channels have to be 7 to 9 of these:

HDNET

HDNET Movies

INHD

INHD2

Discovery

ESPN

HBO

Showtime

Bravo

Starz ?

As far as I know those are the only national HD networks available. So that means if there are 7 to 9 of these on VOOM, 1 to 3 of these channels will not be offered. It is pure speculation on my part, but I think that list is the current channels available for them to put on except for their own exclusive channels.

Scott

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.