AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What sort of breakout cable do i need to utilize the component out on my Toshiba DVD player? I know the 540 takes in 480i into the VGA input - I'm just not sure what type of cable and where to get it. I don't want to spend heaps of money on it, as I will soon be needing a VGA cable in addition.

·
Registered
105 Posts
The most typical cable is a VGA - 5 BNC breakout cable. You would then need to get 3 BNC - RCA adapters (these can be found at Radio Shack).
www.pccables.com sells some inexpensive breakout cables. www.bettercables.com sells some very nice cables (for more money) that have had great reviews. I haven't had the chance to use either, so I can't comment on performance.

·
Registered
813 Posts
There is an OEM unit you should be able to buy directly from NEC dealer (3 RCA to RGB). I bought the NEC plus a custom one from Better Cables, they both work as expected.

------------------

Sergio R.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Jungle (or anybody),

How do you know which of the 5 BNC cables to use? Are they labeled, or is it trial and error? Do you have to find a way to combine the other to into the signal output?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Simple...

DVD Y >>>connects to Green BNC

DVD Cr(Pr) >>>connects to Red BNC

DVD Cb(Pb) >>>connects to Blue BNC

The computer VGA cable's H (horiz sync) and V(vert sync) are left unused.

The projector will recognize the signal as component instead of VGA and display properly.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I noticed a big improvement. Everything was more vibrant. Reds did not bleed anymore. If you have the ability to switch between S-VHS and component,look at a color bar or hue test image. The transition from color to color is very sharp with component. I was very surprised at the difference it made with my projector.

Avery

------------------

My HT Pics http://members.aol.com/thxavery/

·
Registered
149 Posts
In the US component = RGB isn't it?

I live in Europe where the RGB signal is only transferred through SCART.

If this is correct than the quality gain over S-video wil be minimal?

Furthermore,

I read in my manual(VT440/540) that, when using RGB, I am not able to use the Aspect Ratio function anymore. Does that mean that I cannot use the letterbox 16:9 format for home theatre use?

·
Registered
158 Posts
The RGB and the Component Y,b-y,r-y are different. Most use the same 15pin input. It is selectable on most projectors and yes, when using RGB you cannot select the aspect ratio. With component Y,b-y,r-y however, you can. Also with RGB you may not have the ability to adjust common picture adjustments like color, brightness and contrast. With component you will not loose these options even though you are using the same 15pin input.

Avery

------------------

My HT Pics http://members.aol.com/thxavery/

[This message has been edited by thxave (edited 06-15-2001).]

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.